1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 ... 160
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/23 8:20 a.m.

Testing last night of various tracks was interesting.  I found that the 911 wants to kill you at the Bridgehampton track.  The downhill is crazy hard to drive!!!

dean1484
1/11/23 6:26 p.m.

Tonight we are going to do?   

who is racing tonight?  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/11/23 6:50 p.m.

The track list you presented looks good.  Are we good with the current selection of cars?  Do we want to do a self pick?  Or random pick?  One idea:  you can pick your car, but you get an immediate handicap, otherwise it's randomize (to maximize diversity of cars).

The cars seem reasonable close, and realistically, the HC should help equalize after a few races.

We might want to test handicaps a bit and maybe play with a few shorter courses, to create some variation in car/track advantage (e.g. I suspect the Ferrari will be much better on a short course).

dean1484
1/11/23 6:55 p.m.

Sounds like a plan.  I also have to reach out to tom

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/11/23 7:27 p.m.

I'm running the NSX. It's the car that most matches my driving style out of the box.. which is apparently slow.

I figure it'll be better to keep on the track rather than spend the whole time spinning off and getting frustrated. 

(The plain carbon livery if we get to choose)

dean1484
1/12/23 8:35 a.m.

Last night was great fun!!!  And was very helpful in thinning the heard of cars.  A couple of things I have noticed is that there are several cars that I think some consider overdogs.  The 911 that I like is one due to the tires.  If we are strictly looking at tire equality, then the ACC cars will all have a small advantage.  The 911 has the greatest with is super fast cooling tires.  I did not get what everyone was complaining about but then it dawned on me that I am generally easy on tires in the game, so it was something that I was not really cognisant of whereas the drivers that lean on their tires hard wound be a huge advantage.  In short I now understand why some were so adamant about the tire advantage.  As such, the 911 is no longer an option for the series.

As for the rest of the ACC cars I think that they should stay.  The HC will be increased to 40KG per HC point.  This should bring the field together much faster.  I learned form the last series that the staggered HC that gets small as you get more did not give us the desired results in the 944 series.  I still need to test the HC on these cars.  I am looking for about a second a lap reduction with every HC point applied to a car if some one wants to test this.  

I also put up on Google drive a couple of cars that were not in the original GT3 car pack.  I also tested a couple of other variants of the 488 and the 911 GT3 cars.  The 488 is better than the one we have had up and have been testing.  The other cars are an Austin martin and a Ginetta.  I need to test both of these.  I will fire up the other server and put these cars up for testing.  

We will also need to finalize the track list.

dean1484
1/12/23 8:36 a.m.
BradLTL said:

I'm running the NSX. It's the car that most matches my driving style out of the box.. which is apparently slow.

I figure it'll be better to keep on the track rather than spend the whole time spinning off and getting frustrated. 

(The plain carbon livery if we get to choose)

Will Do.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/12/23 8:39 a.m.

Make sure to take out the bentley.  Its a crazy overdog.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/12/23 8:42 a.m.

IMO, take the list last night, scrub the Bentley, the Mclaren 720, and cheater tire Porsche and thats the list.

I don't know what track list we decided on, but someone probably needs to quick test any non-kunos tracks we haven't run frequently and make sure they aren't crazy bumpy/missing timing sectors/fall through the map stuff, etc.

BradLTL
1/12/23 10:42 a.m.

I vote for a calendar roughly based on this:

We can swap out the duplicate Sebring, and the "boring" LeMans.  Add in rounds to represent the Rolex 24 (Daytona Road Course) and Petit LeMans (Road Atlanta).

BradLTL
1/12/23 10:46 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Last night was great fun!!! 

I didn't really intend on bailing last night, but my headset died and I couldn't hear or even tell you I was heading out.

dean1484
1/12/23 12:58 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Make sure to take out the bentley.  Its a crazy overdog.

Technically the NSX should also go as well as the 720 but again I think both can stay as the HC should bring them back in line.  The Bentley with its power and torque will laugh at the HC so unfortunately, it should not be in the series.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/12/23 1:08 p.m.

The NSX isn't an overdog, and it has the kunos GT3 tires.  I'm ok with the 720 staying.  It only has one tire option... we could add the mediums and hards back if its a problem.  It may be excluded just because nobody wants to run it.

dean1484
1/12/23 1:35 p.m.

I am curious about Austin Martin.   I may test this tonight. 

I may also look for a better tire model for the 911  (just because I am stubborn like that :-).  I really like how that car handles.  It really fits my driving style.  If I could only make the tires act like those on the other cars along with having the different compounds.  Not going to happen for this series but I still want to play with it.

I will most likely end up in 2016 911. 

I put up another gt3 911 variant last night and tried it.  It drove really well but the lap times did not reflect it.  

I also put up another  gt3 488 on the server. I like. It is faster than the original 488 by a little and it sounds better but I am just not as fast with it as I am with other cars.

Oh before I forget the Lexus on paper an over dog car.  I have not driven it enough to comment if this is reality.  I don't remember being all that fast in it.  It will stay as an option for now.

One thing to remember everyone.  With the exception of the tire advantage, that 911 had these cars are all very close in time to the point where driving style is a big factor.  For Pro the Bentley is a ringer for me not so much.  I was only able to get times equal to the 2016 911 where Pro was looking at time that were 1-2 seconds faster than his best times in any other car.  The Lambo keeps getting labeled as welly fast.  For me, it really is not that great a car. 

We have to be careful calling something a ringer.  What may be a ringer for you will be a POS for someone else.  I guess if you feel something is a ringer then drive it (or don't) The HC for this round will be much more impactful on the performance of the cars.  In my perfect little world having 2 HC will hopefully be enough to even you up with those behind you and make for some really tight racing.  At least that is my plan.  Having someone run away from the field by a second a lap and winning a race by 8-10 seconds is not fun.  The HC is supposed to try and make it so there is a bunch of cars battling it out on the final lap for the top spot.  I think the WEC series actually adds weight to the cars for the 2nd race at an event based on the cars finishing position in the first race.  They also then invert the field.  We don't have the ability to easily do this but it has crossed my mind that it would make things interesting.  

Something we have not discussed much is are there going to be cars with advantages at certain tracks.  I don't think that this is really an issue with these cars.  I have not heard anyone comment on this in our testing yet.

dean1484
1/12/23 1:37 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

The NSX isn't an overdog, and it has the kunos GT3 tires.  I'm ok with the 720 staying.  It only has one tire option... we could add the mediums and hards back if its a problem.  It may be excluded just because nobody wants to run it.

Brad is driving it.  Again it is not an overdog for you.  For me it is.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/12/23 1:39 p.m.

I'll put the kunos tires on the 911 you like and we can test it

dean1484
1/12/23 1:43 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I'll put the kunos tires on the 911 you like and we can test it

I tried putting the tires from the 2016 911 on it and there was something wrong with the model.  It had much less grip than 2016 911.   I wish I understood the tire modeling better in the game.   

dean1484
1/12/23 1:44 p.m.

BTW is the 2016 911 a kunos car?  Maybe try the tires from the 650? or the NSX?  Simple enough to do.  What I learned is that the traction circle of a tire is affected by other parts of the parameters of the car much more so than I realized.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/12/23 1:46 p.m.

It's starting to sound like most of the cars are over dogs?

It's a bit like a saying I like to use about Walmart "when everything is on sale, nothing is on sale"

I do still suspect the 911 and Ferrari are better on short tracks (the AMG certainly on large tracks) so a mixture of big and small tracks might help that.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/12/23 1:48 p.m.
dean1484 said:

BTW is the 2016 911 a kunos car?  Maybe try the tires from the 650? or the NSX?  Simple enough to do.  What I learned is that the traction circle of a tire is affected by other parts of the parameters of the car much more so than I realized.

the 2016 is a kunos car.  I'd swap the tires over from that.

dean1484
1/12/23 1:49 p.m.

Is there a way to change to temperature model to adjust the heating and cooling cycles in line with 2016 911?  I don't have any issues with the tire temps of that car.  If I remember you corrected this on another car once.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/12/23 1:54 p.m.

Yeah.  I can hop on tonight and look.  Each tire has parameters in the tires.ini file, but references two different LUT files - one for performance falloff due to wear, another for performance falloff due to temp.

dean1484
1/12/23 6:27 p.m.

Maybe pull across the 2016  parameters To the 2019?  I am sure it is not that simple. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/12/23 9:15 p.m.

Archiving last season so I can clean up the first page

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/12/23 9:15 p.m.

1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
25XKRi4okFRPqzmqbNxO2GtL7MzeDZO6afLXbb6Nn1Ewx0nxn0EbpniGhB4EysWY