1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 ... 160
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/13/23 6:13 p.m.

I am going to bump this back up to the top to try and avoid someone posting the old thread (which is just a backup in case this thread disappears again).  Here is a random photo to make it more interesting:

preview.jpg

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/13/23 6:21 p.m.
dean1484 said:

It looks to have a LFX GM V6 in it making 300 hp (makes me really happy) and it is a Miata so in theory it should drive like a Miata.  I wonder what the curb weight is on it?  

Post the specs and I'll make one to play with 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/13/23 6:24 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

What, exactly, do you need?  I can probably figure it out since I looked pretty hard at LFX swaps.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/23 6:34 p.m.

I don't know. It is Tom's car. I read in the article it was 300 hp. I don't know more than that. If you can give me the list of what you need I will email Tom.  I assume a dino graph of his car would help. Tire sizes and compound. Trans ratios and rear dif ratios.  Curb weight. 

What else?   

I wonder if Air can mimic the graphics?  

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/13/23 7:08 p.m.

LFX V6 swapped Miata

Weight should be ~ 2300lbs + driver

Tires - 245/40-15 (alternative - 225/45-15)

Transmission

1st - 4.48

2nd - 2.58

3rd - 1.63

4th - 1.19

5th - 1.00

6th - .75

R - 3.67

Diff - 3.23

Dyno chart for stock LFX (Camaro)

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/13/23 7:16 p.m.

An alternative would be a Honda "K swapped" Miata

Race weight ~2100 + driver

Same tire sizes as above

Miata 6 speed:

1st - 3.760

2nd - 2.269

3rd - 1.646

4th - 1.257

5th - 1.00

6th - .843

Rev - 3.636

Diff - 4.30

Dyno chart (top two runs are typical for K swaps)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/15/23 2:35 p.m.

So.... Sauce is full of dead hookers, Colin was on an absolute go-for-broke tear last race, but now has a few hookers.  Darwin is always a threat and Nuremburg is Dean's favorite track, and he has no HC!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/15/23 2:48 p.m.

I am unlikely to be present.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/15/23 3:43 p.m.
aircooled said:

Darwin is always a threat and Nuremburg is Dean's favorite track, and he has no HC!

Not trying to be pedantic, but the track is Nurburgring, which is in Nurburg in western Germany

Nuremburg is about a 250 mile drive east, and is where they held the war crime trials after WWII.

wink

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/15/23 4:33 p.m.

Yeah, but the way some of us have been driving, is clearly a crime against humanity!

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/15/23 5:10 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

No argument there.  I think I've spun and crashed more practicing Nurburgring than any track we've run so far... and I like this track! cheeky

dean1484
3/16/23 9:43 a.m.

The racing was fun last night. I had some good racing with Aircooled and Brad in the 2nd race

Now the not so fun part.  Last night there was multiple incidents with track re entry and talk about "retaliation" as a reason for contact. This is not acceptable. Racing things happen but they are just that. Intentionally causing contact and then taking others out as collateral damage is absolutely not acceptable.  The only way this whole thing works is everyone has to play nice with each other.  

I want it out there that I am aware of what happened last night.  I am aware that some peoples races we're ruined and they are very frustrated by it. As the server owner/operator I apologies for the actions of others on my server.  I will be working on a solution to try and lesson the chances of this happening again. 

I would like to discuss on discord with people how to Handel some of the infractions that happened last night.   After some discussion after the race last night I am torn. On the one had being inclusive for all is a big part of this. However this is not a public room or server and there is a reason for this. Brad (who is actually the originator of this whole thing here on GRM) reminded me of the reasons why we don't run open servers and his original "mission statement" for starting this whole thing. And while there has been some deviations the core of it is still spot on.   It became obvious to me that we are going to have to implement some  sort of enforceable minimum driving standards. 

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
3/16/23 11:05 a.m.

I admit that in the overall I missed the whole retaliation thing.  In the other groups I run / ran with it was always:

If you hit someome, you pull off and wait for them or for them to say "It's Ok Keep going".  This is a "Gentleman's Racing Group" I think we are all capable of racing as such.  I have had it happen and know that is does happen that accidents happen and the "Red Mist" gets in our eyes and we drive harder to catch up.  I may be new and Canadian (LOL)  but this is some great racing with a great bunch of people. 

M.Kirby 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/16/23 12:04 p.m.

I can certainly capture some video / still examples.  I personally did not have any issues, but I did hear them happening in real time.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/16/23 12:10 p.m.

I heard "payback" on the voice channel, but I'm not sure who said it, or what it was about.  (Edited to add: this was after the second race, not during).  I wasn't aware of any intentional contact.

Racing incidents are what they are, and E36 M3 happens, we're racing.  The GRM group has been the best group for courtesy I've raced online with, and even though I'm new to AC, I've done a lot of racing with informal online groups on consoles.  And there was a lot of close racing last night without major incident.  That said, it is frustrating to be taken out of podium contention by lapped traffic.

One thing that seems to be a problem as our fields have grown is folks not rejoining the track safely.  IMHO it may just be a lack of knowledge/experience.  For those of us with real-world track experience, it's second nature to make sure the leaders aren't bearing down on you when you pull back onto the track, or to get the hell off the track instead of sitting broadside across the racing line after a spin, but I don't know that everyone thinks that way when racing online.  From the after action conversation, at least one person on last night didn't know about the track map app which will show approaching cars that can't be seen in the cockpit view. 

I think as long as we have clear expectations of how you should rejoin after a crash/spin, and every knows about/has the tools they need to do it, it would help.  

And as I said, and Mike noted above, this has been a really courteous group.  I do think this is a minor adjustment.  Some incidents are just going to happen, and that's racing.  As long as we're all doing our informed best, that should be good enough. 

stephen_b
stephen_b GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/16/23 3:44 p.m.

I heard the mention of retaliation, though I thought at the time that it was in jest. Hard to tell when you're trying to go fast. It is probably safest to not talk about retaliation, in jest or not. Even if you are joking, other people might not necessarily take it that way.

For similar reasons, and in the interest of being welcoming and inclusive, we should probably refrain from using euphemisms for penalty weight that some might reasonably find offensive.

dean1484
3/16/23 5:05 p.m.
stephen_b said:

we should probably refrain from using euphemisms for penalty weight that some might reasonably find offensive.

It is an old joke that has probibly run its course at this point. 

dean1484
3/16/23 5:58 p.m.
aircooled said:

I can certainly capture some video / still examples.  I personally did not have any issues, but I did hear them happening in real time.

Air there was some screen sharing of the second race (don't remember by who) that was what I saw.  I am going to have to go back and look at it before I cast any more opinions on the matter.   I will probably consult with a couple people off thread as well. 

Who ever shared that replay last night if you could pm either me and or Air the time of the replay or at least the lap things occurred that would be helpful.  

Retaliation / Payback are the same thing to me and neither is Acceptable.  

Someone had the idea of a web site that people could be pointed to for rules etc.  not a bad idea.  Thinking about it more it could be a google doc that we point to for general info and getting started. Big reason for this is that we have a 100 plus page thread that no one is going to read even though the first page really has all you need to get started. May be that needs to be made more public in the future?  A 100 page thread is intimidating.   

I am the first to admit I am new to how to organize this and am learning as we go   .  

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/16/23 6:43 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I think a one-page FAQ is a great idea, either posted here for reference or downloaded with the stuff on the google drive.

I'm guilty of not looking at the first page of the thread the first time I looked - just figured there was no way it was still relevant... GRM is one of very few forums where you can edit posts that old.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/16/23 8:15 p.m.

Just put the rules in the #ac-setup-guide channel in discord.  Its permissions locked to keep it clean of garbage and only containing relevant info.  Its the closest we have to a live FAQ without the need for hosting.

Even the first page of the thread is extremely wordy.  I would keep the basics as basic as possible.  This is all you need to get running:

dean1484
3/16/23 9:13 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Is that page public so we can link to it or do you need to be part of the discord to view it?  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/16/23 9:40 p.m.

You need to be part of the ugrm discord.  

but that makes it easy.  Here or elsewhere you just need to get people to discord.  Once they are there, all the info is readily available 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/16/23 10:06 p.m.

Results and standing.   Made more difficult because I did not realize there where only 10 on each result page.  I think Rodan dropped in both races (I think he got punted twice in the last race), but the bottom does not matter much anyway since you can only get points through 8th place.  I did a quick look at some of the incidents in the 2nd race and did not see any obvious intentions going on.  Dean did JUST get missed from being taken out by a car coming back on the track though.

Sauce has it locked up if he makes one more point and / or Dean does not win the next race.  Gameboy and Colin have a bit of a competition going on (helped by Colin's +2 HC).  Brad and I are dead even, so the last race will determine that!  Mike might be a spoiler if he does really well (!)

dean1484
3/17/23 7:25 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

You need to be part of the ugrm discord.  

but that makes it easy.  Here or elsewhere you just need to get people to discord.  Once they are there, all the info is readily available 

That works!!

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
3/17/23 7:26 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Dean you are doing a great job of running this.  

100 pages to go through is a lot for anyone, and anyone who does read through that many pages is not really reading it. I am guilty of that.  I skim it and look for content I want to see.  

Keep up the good work I will be racing with you folks for a while.  It is good, close and fun.

MKirby

1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9BMjWb0pwpOy20MGJpc6j0q2WCnj2mGY0fs8s4vJMyUvTjErQ7uuKRQEZIURWBOr