3/27/23 10:51 p.m.

Highlights.  LOTS of stuff going on in this race, probably missed a lot:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/23 11:02 p.m.
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/23 7:17 a.m.

Really good racing last week. There seemed to be battles all over the track. Watching the replay put together by Air was great. I need to go find the couple laps I was chasing Colin and my almost over under move on him.

dean1484
3/29/23 7:19 a.m.

This week is testing of NA Miata's. And if time allows several other cars of similar speed.  The following week we will test some older cars and maybe a coupe open wheel cars (Things Air has suggested and are on the Google drive). Testing is going to be using the race format but the sessions cut down to 7-10 minutes. I am hoping to test 4 cars a night.

The new season should start on April 12th.  

dean1484
3/29/23 8:18 a.m.

I just realized it will be three years this July 4th that Air created this thread.  I don't remember exactly when we started messing with Assetto Corsa and started to realize that it could be the replacement for Project Cars.    

It is amazing that I started out not knowing anything about the ACC setup and the ACC server and yet here we are.  And today we are now getting such a great group of racers together. Being able to get together once a week with people and just chat (even if I am not doing so well in the race) has been great. 

So once again a huge thanks to everyone that has been showing up and participating.  I have said it before but it really is true that it is what makes this whole thing work is people showing up.  

I am looking forward to the next season hoping that we will continue to grow and have larger fields. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/29/23 9:08 a.m.

I won't be able to join tonight, so I'm looking forward to hearing how the testing goes.

Thanks again for taking the time to make this possible for the rest of us to join!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/29/23 12:59 p.m.

I realized I missed the bad start for the last race.  I was wondering why Darwin started up front in the second race!  Having the fast guys in the back always makes for good replays.

I will put up the open wheel cars in the testing folder for next week. 

We do need to start talking about liveries, which will be a good way to make the next series that much more interesting.  It should be very easy with Kunos cars (they provide layered Photoshop files for those with the game).  I already have some default one for the regulars (which are pretty easy to move over).  If anyone has any requests for theirs let me know, I will do my best.   If you don't request one... you will be assigned one... which might be less than flattering (or it might, you never know surprise)

I am also wondering if adding custom liveries to Kunos cars will affect using them online (in other rooms that use entirely base cars).  I don't think so?   I am also wondering if I can create the liveries in a zipped folder structure that is the same as the base structure (e.g. not include all the other car files) if that will drop the liveries in the right place?  The other option is re-installing the entire car.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/30/23 3:18 p.m.

So how'd it go last night?  Do we have a verdict on car/tracks?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/30/23 3:39 p.m.
aircooled said:

I am also wondering if adding custom liveries to Kunos cars will affect using them online (in other rooms that use entirely base cars).  I don't think so?   I am also wondering if I can create the liveries in a zipped folder structure that is the same as the base structure (e.g. not include all the other car files) if that will drop the liveries in the right place?  The other option is re-installing the entire car.

1)  No, if others dont have them, they just see a white car.

2) yes, you absolutely can.

dean1484
3/30/23 5:45 p.m.
Rodan said:

So how'd it go last night?  Do we have a verdict on car/tracks?

It was lots of fun!!!  All the cars have merit. The Pacer was great fun. I think it has the best sound track.

We have not talked tracks at all. It will be a little car dependent. 

Next week is the final testing and we then decide what we will be racing. First race on April 12th. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/30/23 7:51 p.m.

I would say I liked the NA the best so far (a bit quirky but should make for good racing and some challenge and fun to master, smaller tracks though).  The ND was faster but not as interesting.  The BRZ was a just a bit less interesting than the ND.  The Porsche wasn't bad, but not terribly interesting and a bit "tricky".  The Pacer was fun, a bit strange to drive, sounds great, and probably make good racing (it will take a bit to master it though, might get boring?).  The BMW was too much a race car for this series I think (kind of too easy to drive also).

The NA and Pacer are both very GRM in their own way.

Since I would need to do liveries anyway, I could create a sub-variant of the NA and add brake balance to it for those who cannot deal with the rear brake lock (though I think it will hurt them in the corners).

If we do go NA (or even on of the low power open wheel cars) we could go with more regional / smaller tracked (e.g. Thunderhill, Oulten Park, the short Brands Hatch etc).

I am out next week, but I am guessing you are testing the Mustang and Javalin's also, right?  They seem fun to drive, but certainly need the use of the gas and some weight transfer to get the to turn good.  Not hard too drive, but a good challenge.

I am guessing the Formula V will just be too low powered, but will be interesting to see who can conserve the momentum.  The Formula Ford is much more early F1, so more of a challeng, but should be fun to master.

dean1484
3/30/23 8:00 p.m.

I am leaning NA as well. Add in brake balance and it would definitely make it more friendly at the expense of some speed.  I liked how you could hit the power so early and drive it through the corners with it slipping and sliding that you have to keep on top of. 

dean1484
3/31/23 7:23 p.m.

So has anyone looked at CAN-AM cars from the late 60's?  Probibly not a series but as a one or two race event.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/31/23 9:30 p.m.

dean1484
4/1/23 8:56 a.m.
aircooled said:

The myth.  ......   The legend...   :-)

The tangerine torpedo is in the house!!! 

dean1484
4/1/23 8:57 a.m.

Can you make the wheels high visibility yellow?  That would complete the look from GT5 that I use to run.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/2/23 11:08 a.m.

dean1484
4/2/23 1:05 p.m.

OMG.  laugh

EDIT:  it is so ugly it is perfect.  

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
4/2/23 5:43 p.m.

I think I got all the cars downloaded... any new tracks for this coming Wednesday?

dean1484
4/2/23 9:15 p.m.

Not yet. You can pick one. How about that?  

dean1484
4/3/23 8:19 a.m.

This is a great photo

I am going to use this in a post in the main forum for the up comming series.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
4/4/23 3:38 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I'm always up for Laguna, but it can be difficult to pass there....

Has the GRM server been down?  I haven't been able to get on for a few days...

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
4/4/23 3:57 p.m.

Unless moving substantially later in the evening, which I don't think East coasters would appreciate, is there any appetite for discussing alternate days? I have family obligations on Wednesdays specifically (kid extracurricular) that would preclude me from being able participate.

dean1484
4/4/23 4:32 p.m.
Rodan said:
dean1484 said:

I'm always up for Laguna, but it can be difficult to pass there....

Has the GRM server been down?  I haven't been able to get on for a few days...

It should be up let me check. A couple of us were on it last night. 

1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cd4i561SIFzkQ2x5kr8gPMscmO4waW4jaPLjXvdrh7mMzKZw0wlEDS4DBoj6Vi4w