1 2
srduck
srduck New Reader
6/10/19 10:21 a.m.

Didn't realize there was a sim-racing forum on GRM, but now that I know, I'll throw out an invite to our league :D

Do you have Assetto Corsa on PC?  Do you like drinking with friends, making bad jokes, quoting Letterkenny, and talking trash while racing them in silly vehicles?  Well friend, I have the league for you!

The details

Tuesday nights (hence the name)
Server is generally up by 5pm EDT for practice. 
Qualifying is at 9pm EDT - 15 minute session
Two race format where race 1 is the qualifying order, and race 2 inverts the finishing grid from race 1.
Occasionally we'll be in the mood to continue goofing around and will start a race 3

I'm in, what do I need to do?

Great.  Jump on the Discord server (https://discord.gg/yE4gTxJ) and introduce yourself.  The server password is in the #welcome-and-announcements channel.  We'll post any required downloads in the #linkylinks channel prior to races.  

What should I expect?

Lots of Letterkenny references, mostly.  Make sure you hit Hulu and watch it all... don't walk into references you don't understand, right?  Other than that, just drunken banter between a bunch of racing nerds.... same as any given evening at an event.  Last year I wanted an excuse to drink and play sims with some friends, and Two Drink Tuesday was born.  It was mostly a bunch of autocrossers from the Southeast who all knew each other in person at first, but we've started promoting in other places in the past month and have picked up some really cool sim racers who wanted something a little less serious than other leagues.  The two basic rules are "1) Don't be a d*ck" and "2) Be inebriated without breaking rule #1".  That's it.  Car selection is made based on the criteria of "easy enough to drive while inebriated" so we usually stick with slower cars that are fun and easy to race wheel to wheel in.  And we understand that some people don't drink.  As long as you can tolerate the drunken banter of idiots on Discord and the occasional "OOps, my bad" in a braking zone...  we'd love to have you!  Ten months of doing this weekly has given us experience and turned most of us into fairly clean racers, but... in our defense, we ARE drunk a lot of the time.

This week's race

Tomorrow (6/11/19) we will be doing our tribute to "The Italian Job"..... but backwards.  We're racing Italian cars (Fiat 595) on British streets (Highlands Short) with 100kg of ballast per car to simulate gold.  They're slow (REALLY slow) but they make for great wheel to wheel racing in a pack.  

Again, if you're interested, hit the Discord server and say hello... and I'll try to post each week's matchup here a few days before the event.

https://discord.gg/yE4gTxJ

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/10/19 10:27 a.m.

Interesting.  This is my type of league.  I'll keep an eye on this for later in the year, but current custody schedule doesn't allow for Tuesday night play (until late anyway).

java230
java230 UltraDork
6/10/19 10:41 a.m.

This sounds fun, but I really dont play racing sims anymore..... Maybe I should start up again.....

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/10/19 4:58 p.m.

Sounds fun, but I race a PS4 instead of a PC. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/10/19 6:34 p.m.

Don't worry TJ.  Whenever Wreckin' Racing comes out on the PS4, we will have to try this..

...Argo is VERY unlikely to participate..

srduck
srduck New Reader
6/18/19 4:06 a.m.
srduck
srduck New Reader
7/1/19 3:07 p.m.

Tomorrow night, via the automatic race picker-thingy I created, we're racing

RVs https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/rv-motorhome.20199/
at
Laguna Seca (stock track)

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
7/1/19 3:09 p.m.

Where is the best place to purchase Assetto Corsa on PC? I know Steam has it anywhere else can I get it cheap?

$6.99 through Steam thats pretty cheap

srduck
srduck New Reader
7/8/19 10:38 a.m.

If you're going to get it, go ahead and get the "Ultimate Edition" with all the DLC for like $20.  Sale ends tomorrow at 1pm eastern... so... do it quick

This week's race will be a throwback to our very first race to celebrate 1 year of Two Drink Tuesday.  We will be racing:

Reliant Robins ( https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/reliant-robin-mk-1.2795/ )
at
Brands Hatch Indy (Dream Pack 3 DLC)

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/8/19 9:57 p.m.
aircooled said:

Don't worry TJ.  Whenever Wreckin' Racing comes out on the PS4, we will have to try this..

...Argo is VERY unlikely to participate..

Hey, I resemble that remark.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
7/8/19 10:47 p.m.

Free bump to the group, I've raced IRL and in 2DT with a bunch of these guys and it's both a great group and a lot of fun.  Unfortunately my 6 year old laptop doesn't want to play nice with the number of racers in the rooms so I haven't joined in a while, but if you're looking for a more relaxed racing environment this group gets an A+.

Sk1dmark
Sk1dmark GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/10/19 10:20 a.m.

I just missed you guys last night! I was going to get all set up and then was consumed by another project. I'll hop on the Discord at some point this week and I'm hopefully in for next Tuesday! Also it'll give me time to watch the last 2 seasons of Letterkenny so I can catch up.

failboat
failboat UberDork
7/12/19 12:49 p.m.

Is everyone playing with a wheel or is anyone on controller? Just wondering. 

I have AC on PC but never tried to get a controller dialed in. Not that I have time to play anyways but...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/12/19 1:03 p.m.

I'm pondering participating with a controller.  I don't feel like setting up my wheel :(

srduck
srduck New Reader
7/15/19 6:12 p.m.

Controller is fine.  When we first started, we had a guy who played for the first few weeks with a keyboard.  It didn't go so well, but... it's doable..... ish :)  I think there's still at least one person in the league that plays with a controller.  Sometimes some of us are drunk enough that you can't tell we own nice sim rigs and you'd swear we're playing with a keyboard and mouse.

This week is perhaps a bit more "serious" than normal, but blame it on our random race picker thingy....

Toyota GT86 (Stock content)

At

Road Atlanta ( https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/road-atlanta.18293/ )

We had a full server of 24 for last week's Reliant Robin race, and this week we have 30 slots on the server.  Come join in!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/28/19 2:03 p.m.

I just finished my VR sim rig build. I need o get it downloaded on steam snd setup but count me in.

srduck
srduck New Reader
8/5/19 8:43 a.m.

/ RACE ANNOUNCEMENT 8/6/2019 /
The JDM Cup
Where - Tsukuba (https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/tsukuba-circuit.2629/)
What - MX5 Cup & Toyota Altis (https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/toyota-corolla-altis-sp3.13639/)
Why - because we're gonna try a 3 event mini championship! Points are awarded on class finish and we'll be racing the same cars at 3 different tracks.
When - 9pm EDT (01:00 GMT Wednesday)
/ END RACE ANNOUNCEMENT /

Let's see how mixed class racing goes.  Your choice of FWD or RWD

https://discord.gg/YhwdJtJ if you're interested. Just read the stuff in #welcome and type !accept to see the rest of the server

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
8/5/19 9:25 a.m.
T.J. said:

Sounds fun, but I race a PS4 instead of a PC. 

I'm on PS4 also, I mainly play GTsport but I do have AC.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/5/19 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

If you have Project Cars 2 on PS4, then come join us on Wednesday nights. 

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
8/7/19 6:38 a.m.
T.J. said:

That was THE game I wanted when I got my PS4.  It wasn't available at the time so I bought GTsport and AC instead.  I finally got PC2 and was super excited because of the all the cars, tracks, career mode, etc.  I tried playing it for an hour, tried different tracks and cars.  Tried changing settings.  I couldn't make it a full lap on any track with any car.  I decided that game was not based in reality and was unplayable.  I gave it to my brother.  I've seen many people online share my thoughts and the other half believe it's the best "simulator" for PS4.  I guess you either love it or hate and I fall into the latter category even though I really wanted to love it.

For reference I'm using a Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and pedals with upgraded LC on the brake with a full custom made rig and 42" monitor.

I like the physics in AC but the crappy graphics and lack of cars kills it for me.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/7/19 6:59 a.m.
srduck said:

We had a full server of 24 for last week's Reliant Robin race, and this week we have 30 slots on the server.  Come join in!

Have any footage from this?  Do they roll easy in AC physics?

srduck
srduck New Reader
8/12/19 10:31 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
srduck said:

Have any footage from this?  Do they roll easy in AC physics?

We started doing video recaps of all the races this season.  Here's the Reliant race:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snjAGIUbxVw

Last week was fun at Tsukuba.  The MX-5 Cup and Altis are way more well balanced than I expected.  I don't even think there was a 1s per lap delta between the two classes.  

/ RACE ANNOUNCEMENT 8/13/2019 /
Fear of Commitment Cup round 2
Where - Brands Hatch Indy (Kunos DLC)
What - MX5 Cup & Toyota Altis (https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/toyota-corolla-altis-sp3.13639/)
Why - because we're gonna try a 3 event mini championship! Points are awarded on class finish and we'll be racing the same cars at 3 different tracks.
When - 9pm EDT (01:00 GMT Wednesday)
/ END RACE ANNOUNCEMENT /

srduck
srduck New Reader
8/12/19 10:37 a.m.
Patientzero said:
T.J. said:

That was THE game I wanted when I got my PS4.  It wasn't available at the time so I bought GTsport and AC instead.  I finally got PC2 and was super excited because of the all the cars, tracks, career mode, etc.  I tried playing it for an hour, tried different tracks and cars.  Tried changing settings.  I couldn't make it a full lap on any track with any car.  I decided that game was not based in reality and was unplayable.  I gave it to my brother.  I've seen many people online share my thoughts and the other half believe it's the best "simulator" for PS4.  I guess you either love it or hate and I fall into the latter category even though I really wanted to love it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way about PC2.  I try to like it, but I just can't make it feel "right".  I've put a LOT of runs in and done multiple track days in an FRS, and the one in Assetto Corsa feels great.  The one in PC2 just feels like hot garbage and I can't even explain why.  It's just....... wrong.

I like the physics in AC but the crappy graphics and lack of cars kills it for me.  

This is why you need the PC version.  The Sol mod with Shader Patch and all the mod car content is AMAZING! :D  Not my video... but... watch this.  It's a whole new world!  https://youtu.be/4dPZJH8x9-A?t=910

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/12/19 10:57 p.m.

That looks fun.  Why do you guys keep saying "black people"?

srduck
srduck New Reader
8/13/19 4:36 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

That looks fun.  Why do you guys keep saying "black people"?

One of the guys in the league uses the username "BlackPeopleSwerve.com" 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vaTSXBptvNZLqLS6R1TwRyy3MIYE50kLCdsk64NL65AijGkxvUsjSfxgSKKCdjsZ