failboat
failboat UberDork
8/30/16 12:09 p.m.

Original Build
Click Here

Follow along as we update the trusty old racing sim rig.

First Update - Add an ebay racing seat. Attached with some 1x2 furring strips I had lying around and some hardware. I didn't install the slider, but being ebay grade it looked like more of a pain in the ass than it was worth to try and get it installed and aligned correctly.

Here we are set up in my temporary gaming space

Coming Soon:
-Hardwired sequential shifter e-brake mod
-Revised shifter location to accomodate e-brake
-Wire tuck
-Lets figure out how to make shift knobs adjustable/interchangeable (Original shifters are tapped for M6x0.75 bolt which is annoyingly not very widely used)
-Make it look better? (its bare wood, and I have a lot of spare/scrap paint just lying around)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/16 3:53 p.m.

Subscribed!!!!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/30/16 5:17 p.m.

I like where this is going.

failboat
failboat UberDork
9/6/16 8:39 p.m.

Found my victory beer tap last week, got it attached to the sequential shifter. Need to decide where to mount it and wire it up to the wheel.

Drifting is a pain in the butt when you're spinning the wheel and trying to find a button on the wheel at the sametime. this should make things a lot easier.

Also posting picks from flickr on my phone is just about impossible

PICS

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
9/6/16 9:42 p.m.

Do yourself a favor and get some bass shakers. I have two of the tiny little Dayton Audio "Pucks" driven by a cheapo amp from Amazon. Adds a whole other level of immersion to the experience. Trust me, do it.

failboat
failboat UberDork
9/7/16 9:38 a.m.

Absolutely will look into those, I remember seeing them on your build thread.

A new PC is likely a higher priority this year, and I have some ongoing garage and home build things as we settle in here. Wife says I need to do more painting and get started on the laundry room build.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/5/16 7:54 a.m.

Have not made much progress just yet. I finally started the frame mods for the shifter and handbrake. Also the tap handle was really top heavy, causing the switch to engage just due to the weight of the handle so I shortened it to about 6 inches.

original setup

shortened handbrake

revised frame. Shifter is being lowered, will be mounted next to my knee, right where the vertical 2x4 piece stops. handbrake will be mounted right up at the top of where the cutout is. both will still be mounted on the outside part of the frame. the purpose of the cutout is so I don't bash knuckles when shifting.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/9/16 11:16 a.m.

Wiring up the ebrake
2016-10-09_11-32-45 by matt.baird, on Flickr

Mounted up and wire tucked
IMG_20161009_112727800 by matt.baird, on Flickr
IMG_20161009_112754013 by matt.baird, on Flickr
IMG_20161009_112739325 by matt.baird, on Flickr

jde
jde HalfDork
10/10/16 8:55 a.m.

Nice tidy rig!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
10/10/16 9:07 a.m.

Do you have a link to the plans you used for the initial build?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/16 9:28 a.m.

Now that is really nice!!! You need to get in touch with Comp to add the shakers.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
10/10/16 9:57 a.m.

thats cool

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/11/16 7:47 a.m.

the rig is my own design. I kind of designed it around the seat and wheel I had at the time (Mazda MPV seat, Xbox 360 wheel)

Here are the basic dimensions that I measured up maybe last year for another GRMer. The framing shown in in red are 2x3's. It looks like some of the upper framing under the wheel stand is not shown but you can see it in the photos how its put together.

The only thing preventing me from adding bass shakers right now, is I am setup in the spare bedroom. Right next to my 15 month old daughters room. The only time I can manage to find time to play is when she is trying to sleep in the room next to me. For now though, both the wheel and the pedals have vibration, I actually stuck a 1 inch thick foam rubber yoga mat under the rig to lessen the vibration transferred to the floor of the home. It quieted things down a lot.

failboat
failboat UberDork
12/9/16 12:28 p.m.

PC build is officially coming together now in the next couple weeks. Already own Assetto Corsa and several dlc packs, Fallout 4, American Truck Simulator, Vector Thrust that I picked up on sale over the past year......have not been able to play any of them yet.

Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower Case
Corsair RM750x PSU
4-pack of Rosewill 120mm fans from Amazon
MSI Z170A SLI Plus motherboard
Intel I5-6600 3.3ghz
Cryorig H7 heatsink/cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB GDDR5
Ballistix DDR4 16GB ram 2400 mt/s
Windows 10 Home
Sandisk 120GB SSD
Seagate 1TB 6gb/s SATA

Honestly I pieced most of this together looking at Logical Increments

jde
jde HalfDork
12/11/16 8:48 p.m.

Both American and Euro Truck Simulator 2 are more fun than they have any reason to be.

failboat
failboat UberDork
12/12/16 6:25 a.m.

My old PC ran ETS2 ok on relatively medium settings, I had to briefly try ATS on my wifes laptop with Windows 10 but just the more familiar environment was much more enjoyable. They are fun games if you want to just sort of space out and drive and listen to music.

jde
jde HalfDork
12/12/16 9:35 a.m.

They released the upscaled map update for ATS today.

failboat
failboat UberDork
12/12/16 12:38 p.m.

I saw that. ETS2 it seemed even when you had your stats maxed out even the longest drives did not take much longer than an hour to complete, that was even with some user made map expansions installed.

I am hoping to have some long haul runs in ATS maybe closer to the 2 hour mark at least.

failboat
failboat UberDork
1/2/17 8:19 a.m.

New pc up and running. I spent about 6 hours on wednesday-thursday banging my head against the wall before determining the motherboard I got was bad.

Sent it back and bought one from a local store and the computer was working within an hour.

Assetto Corsa is freakin fantastic.

I'm pushing about 200fps, although a lot of that probably has to do with I am running at less than 1080p because that's what works best with the 34" LCD TV I am using.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GxQBV3oPukvlyvTlQHrZft95qmt8EIfbVjJoqvggS3xcV9KjeWOUSnaSOU5DzZ7s