T.J. MegaDork
12/27/19 9:42 a.m.

Brad's current test list for the next series:

1. Formula Renault
  2. BMW M1
  3. Aussie Supercars
  4. Nascar racin'
  5. Indy Road cars

On medium to large tracks, plus at least 1 oval. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/27/19 10:22 a.m.

I just ran a lap of two in each car using the default loose setup at COTA. Here are my initial takes from best to worst:

I like both of the open wheel cars a lot. They are fast, but have lots of grip and excellent brakes. 

The M1 is next on my list. I wonder how it responds to tuning. Not bad out of the box, not all that fast.

Next is V8 Supercar. Sounds good. Would take some practice/tuning for me to get the hang of it. A bit of a hand full.

Last is the NASCAR. That car does not like to turn or brake. I changed the steering ratio from 
the default Titanic setting, but that only helped a little. Reminded me of driving the vintage 911 in the rain. Not much grip, vague steering, didn't seem fun at all. Maybe setup changes can help, but I'd be surprised.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/27/19 10:43 a.m.

Dean and I drove the NASCAR cars for a few laps after one of the races.  Yes, you definitely notice the weight compared to the BMW.  Very different car.  Very easy to over power the car.  There would certainly be a learning curve.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/27/19 12:05 p.m.

What class do we have to run to tempt Argo to come back?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/27/19 3:38 p.m.

I didn't have a button for the Indy car push to pass/KERS so I didn't try that out yet. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/19 4:00 p.m.

The Indy car was fun last night.  The BIG down side is if we run with damage on.  They are extremely fragile.  What would be a little bump nets you 100 damage to the front.  A small bump to a wheel and you have huge suspension damage.  This could get very frustrating very quickly.   

You have to manage your risk versus reward in these cars.  The braking is fantastic however this can lead to contact and that leads to a trip to the pits.

A compromise may be to run with track limits on instead of damage.  Or not. .. .  

Another thing is that they have an option tire that is fantastic for qualifying but was dead after 4-5 laps it was fun and for me was almost 2 seconds faster at COA.  IF we used this tire there should be the rule that you have to start with the tire you qualify on.

Fuel was another thing that these cars use a lot of.  About 5l per lap at COA.  I don't know if this was good or bad but with only 75l on board that could get interesting.

Weight of the fuel in the car has a huge impact on handling.  The other thing that I think also has a big impact on the handling is tire pressures.  This is going to need some more experimenting to see just how sensitive they are and if I can tune a car that works with both low and high fuel loads.  This may be a case of if you ran a race you would change tires that were set up for the lower fuel load.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/28/19 4:09 p.m.

The Formula Renault runs about the same lap times as thd Indy car on the prime tires.  They are slower on the straights by a bit. No super sticky option tires. There are 'comp' tires which look like slicks but have 15% of the grip. 

I ran a few laps in the Indy car with the option tires and it sticks like glue. You get 10 push to passes in a race, so it's good to map a KERS button. 

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/28/19 11:00 p.m.
T.J. said:

What class do we have to run to tempt Argo to come back?

I'm thinking cash. Other ideas?

It's been crazy for a while guys.  Something that doesn't take a lot of tuning or complex strategy would be my preference. When I can make the races, I still won't have much time to prepare.  This last series I would just have been a nuisance (more than usual) if I showed up.  An 'arrive and drive' series will make it easier to drop in and run.

dean1484
12/28/19 11:44 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

Argo!!!!   We need more back markers to race with. TJ and Sauce and Dark seem to run off and battle for the podium. It would be great to have you join the fun with us mere mortals. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/29/19 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

The Touring Cars were close to arrive and drive, but the 75 minute races and damage on made for some strategery. 

The more I drive the Indy car the more I like it. 

dean1484
12/29/19 2:16 p.m.

The indy car out of the box is very good

dean1484
1/1/20 5:12 p.m.

Anyone Around tonight?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/2/20 6:18 p.m.

I may be on Saturday or Sunday night.  

dean1484
1/4/20 3:47 p.m.

Very quiet since the Ring race. Did we all get burned out from it.  

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/4/20 10:01 p.m.

Holidays for me. Life gets back on schedule Monday, kids back to school, etc.

Argo1
1/4/20 11:22 p.m.

Dusted off the system.  Fixed the bad controller.  Ran some laps in the Indy cars.  They are a lot of fun and drive well in the default set up.  I would support a series with them.  How many of the actual Indy series tracks are in the game?

School starts back on Monday and things go back to "normal", whatever that is now.

dean1484
1/5/20 2:51 p.m.

NICE!!!  Argo!!!

I actually saw you get on line just as I was getting off last night.

Argo1
1/8/20 12:10 a.m.

You got to train'em up right.  Daughter Marjorie got her first car today.

dean1484
1/8/20 12:30 p.m.

Can I be your Kid to?

Argo1
1/8/20 2:39 p.m.

We must resist the soul-less SUV/ auto everything/ self-driving tidal wave and create the next generation of sports car enthusiasts.

Marjorie can operate the 5-speed millennial anti- theft device installed in the car.

She is super excited about the car but there is a method to my madness giving a 16 year-old a Porsche:

First, it's a one-owner, clean history, 2000 base Boxster that I bought at dealer auction for $2,300. Cheap car.

Second, insurance is $61 per month cheaper than a Sentra.

Next, her hands will be busy with a manual so she can't have a cell phone in one hand and a beverage in the other.

It's two seats so she can't pile it full of her friends.

It's a base Boxster so it isn't fast.

She learned to drive in Porsches and she likes them so MAYBE she will take care of it.

That's my theory anyway.

BradLTL
1/8/20 4:51 p.m.

I may try and get online tonight for some testing. Anyone else around?

Argo1
1/8/20 5:33 p.m.

I may get on.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/8/20 6:03 p.m.

I may be on a bit tonight as well. 

BradLTL
1/8/20 6:40 p.m.

I'll open the room in a bit, but I'm probably going to be a bit later than normal getting online. My oldest is demanding that I watch the Mandolorian with him tonight. It'll be an extended testing session. 

Argo1
1/8/20 11:29 p.m.

I like the Indy cars.  I favor using as many real series tracks as possible.

I got kicked off several times in the testing tonight.  I hope that isn't how the series would go.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EB2UV2Dst3uM0Q1WfspiGAFrNkLfkBpiyavvjpSO1QobY8QeItXdEB9R69wsl6uf