1 2
09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
1/20/23 9:28 a.m.

I used to make alot of candles to sell but I didnt have any way to sell them really. I have a Facebook now. Should I try again and sell candles on facebook marketplace?

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
1/20/23 9:30 a.m.

That's where I sell all of my canoes 

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
1/20/23 9:45 a.m.

Etsy sucks, but it works.

09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
1/20/23 10:09 a.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing :

WOW you make canoes?! Thats Insane.

09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
1/20/23 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

I've tried etsy before. I don't have enough money to pay for nobody to buy anything

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/23 10:11 a.m.
jimbob_racing said:

That's where I sell all of my canoes 

Not a canoe lol. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/23 10:12 a.m.
09Unwound said:

I used to make alot of candles to sell but I didnt have any way to sell them really. I have a Facebook now. Should I try again and sell candles on facebook marketplace?

I would. I mean, whats the downside? Give it a shot!

09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
1/20/23 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Ok ya why not. Thanks.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/20/23 11:27 a.m.

Not a canoe, he's a teenager frustrated with wanting things which he cannot afford.

He's my kid, so apologies for not telling him ahead of time the code word.

Kid, when a forum member uses the word "canoe", they are telling the forum mods that they suspect a spammer has joined the forum. Since you have a very low post count and asked about selling something, it was an innocent mistake.

He's 14, so he can't work a normal job yet, especially alongside Trail Life, Trumpet and school.

I haven't been able to break the news that a shortage of money (especially as I have run out of money to buy primer for the truck with) is a never-ending battle.

I'm also really bad at side hustles. Everything I try and do aside from work ends up either costing me money, or being a volunteer role with time and responsibilities, AND costing me money. he could use some better wisdom than mine here.

09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
1/20/23 12:15 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Interesting. I feel like an idiot now. Funny though. I understand now, Bringing up canoes is a very weird thing to do so that makes sense.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/23 12:59 p.m.

Borrow Dad's lawnmower and gas. Mow yards. 

I made bank when I was a teen mowing, raking, and edging yards. I had several customers that paid $75 every two weeks. 

Then make candles on the side and sell them as well. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/20/23 1:02 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Borrow Dad's lawnmower and gas. Mow yards. 

I made bank when I was a teen mowing, raking, and edging yards. I had several customers that paid $75 every two weeks. 

Then make candles on the side and sell them as well. 

He tried the former, made up flyers and walked the neighborhood. He got nothing other than a friend who was in the guard deploying for a few months. He tried the candle thing on Etsy and FB and -0-

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/23 1:08 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Are there any farms, stores, or restaurants nearby? Per SC, at 14 he can get a limited number of jobs. There are some regulations on how many hours he can work. 

Appropriate employment for minors ages 14 and 15 includes, but is not limited to: cashiering, serving food, custodial duties, bussing tables, car washing, and delivery work not involving the operation of a motor vehicle.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/20/23 1:17 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to tuna55 :

Are there any farms, stores, or restaurants nearby? Per SC, at 14 he can get a limited number of jobs. There are some regulations on how many hours he can work. 

Appropriate employment for minors ages 14 and 15 includes, but is not limited to: cashiering, serving food, custodial duties, bussing tables, car washing, and delivery work not involving the operation of a motor vehicle.

The only ones nearby which hire that age would be pretty difficult to get him to and from, and if so we're asking Tunawife to ferry, which is a lot harder than asking me, who is an hour away all day every day. Especially hard working around school schedule. Nothing bike-able either.

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
1/20/23 1:52 p.m.

Maybe the candle market isn't where you need to be. My son ump'd baseball games to buy his first car. There is also caddying at 14.  I sold metal art on Etsy, and made about $50-100 a day. Probably ended up being about $20 an hour, which is why I stopped.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/20/23 2:43 p.m.
Racebrick said:

Maybe the candle market isn't where you need to be. My son ump'd baseball games to buy his first car. There is also caddying at 14.  I sold metal art on Etsy, and made about $50-100 a day. Probably ended up being about $20 an hour, which is why I stopped.

Decent idea, I checked at the local golf club just now, the only opening is in the pro shop and min age of 18. I'll see if they have caddy openings in the next few months.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/20/23 2:44 p.m.
Racebrick said:

He does know how to weld.

Kid, can you weld my scrap stuff into something which is art?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/20/23 3:06 p.m.

What are the chances or possibilities of being able to setup at a flea market, or spend a day on the phone calling local farm markets, maker markets for lack of a better term, or mom and pop style candle shops and offering them on consignment? 

"Hi, my name is unwound and I make these *whatever makes them special* candles that I'm trying to sell to help raise money for my first car/business/college. Would you be interested in checking them out for your store?"

My recent cold calling experiences in an entirely separate industry suggest about 20% will at least check them out. 

The big caveat with doing online business is being able to build a presence in the first place. That is arguably harder than making a new anything to sell. Build up a small, local, following and people will spread your product for you. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/20/23 3:08 p.m.

I don't have anything helpful, but I am REALLY glad it was clarified that this was tunas kid before I started on my usual Bs. 

Edited- because I remember one of my pre job side hustles. 

Do you have any investment capital at all? Even a $20 will work.  I sold soda out of my locker at school. I kept precisely one flavor on hand- mountain dew. A can went for 50c- cases were something like $4 at the time (mid 90s). Eventually I was able to add to my inventory - pop tarts, some candy, etc. Made a decent lil pile for minimal effort. Adjusted for inflation...

I used to also take trades for goods that I liked (there was a whole lunch ticket racket). Even if food is frowned upon, a box of pencils, a calculator rental, whatever. Have something the kids want with minimal outlay on either side and you can make a surprising amount. 

Edit#2- something I'm working on now due to.... unforseen circumstances that are still under investigation- stickers. You can have weird stickers printed pretty cheaply. If you're me- you stick a design in your vinyl cutter and do work. People LOVE stickers for some reason. Sell stickers to the homies. my latest. It's funny, and they'll be like $2. I can make 18 with 1sq ft of vinyl and about 20min of my time. 

09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
1/20/23 3:25 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Ya I could. I have a cool art Idea as well. metasl art would take a while but if people bought it then.

09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
1/20/23 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Oh Cool!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/23 5:20 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

He is also a decent sim racer!!!  

09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
6/7/23 1:23 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Thanks.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/23 11:10 p.m.
09Unwound said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Thanks.

No problem!!!  You have come a long way in a short period of time racing with us.  

09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
6/8/23 11:52 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

hey, I try. laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e0NH4VkflXtVNSf3XClp0pwwu9oOGqOjzZ1YZUo84I0PjgHTcKZ3SaJLfI9U2PKy