1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/3/17 10:51 p.m.
racerfink said:

Gt3 cars have all that stuff in real life, so why wouldn't they have it in the game?

OK, I didn't know that.  It seems a bit bizarre to me that a professional series uses Stability Control.  I guess once self driving cars become more common, they won't even need a driver! cheeky

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/17 9:14 a.m.

After looking up the IMSA GT3 (Daytona) rules, ABS and Traction control are allowed.  Stability control is not specifically allowed but might be considered a part of traction control?  Nothing says we have to run the aids in a series.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/17 9:34 a.m.

GTLM and GTD are the cars without ABS. 

GT3 are allowed ABS. 

http://nasportscar.com/gtlm-v-gtd-v-gt3/

The series will run “realistic” aids. That’s part of why I picked GT3s first. They’ll generally be easier to drive and race while we are getting comfortable with the physics engine. Then we can run older cars with less aids for later series. 

Argo1
11/4/17 3:39 p.m.

Asseto Corsa just arrived and is downloading.  Want to check out all options.  I'll post up some impressions.  First impression is that it is 20 bucks.

Argo1
11/4/17 3:54 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL : 

GT3 is GTD (Daytona).  It is a GT3 spec with Continental spec tires.  It does have ABS and TC.  GTLM (LeMans) is the upper GT class and does not have either aid.

Argo1
11/4/17 5:45 p.m.

OK, I've spent about an hour with Asseto Corsa.  Here are some impressions:

1. It's not 20 bucks!  That is the basic game.  There are about 10 download packs to get all the content ranging from $6.99 to $9.99.

2.  The car selection is very impressive IF you bought all the download packs.  Otherwise, not that good.

3.  There are only 13 unique circuits - 14 if you buy the Red Bull ring.  This is weak enough to be a knock out.

4. Driving is a lot of fun. Easy to get comfortable and quick soon.  You can catch slides.  Sound is impressive.

5. This is a fully sorted and bug free game.  Menus are easy.  Things are easy to understand and adjust.

6. Graphics are just OK.  Similar to GT6 but doesn't distract from the racing.

7. Online works easy and the AI cars seem OK to race with.

The bottom line is that there is no perfect sim.  This one loses big by not having enough tracks and by the fact that it would cost over $100 to buy all the content.  However, it is easily the most fun to drive.

Back to back PC2 vs. Asseto with a McLaren 650S GT3 at Spa:  Asseto - Easy to drive. No cold tire out lap issues.  Running 2:26's easily after 4 laps.  PC2- Big difference.  Easy on the out lap.  Much harder to drive.  Harder to catch slides.  Lift throttle oversteer.  Ten laps to get a 2:27.  I would love to compare GTS but no Spa circuit and it takes too long to grind out the unlock of features.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/4/17 10:19 p.m.

OK, thanks for the review.  Kind of what I expected, but I had no idea about the DL content.  I suspect the original price was in the $60 range also.  It sounds like it would be a decent deal if  it included the DLC.

Of course, you have to wonder how this will be done with PC and GTS, both of which will certainly have expansions.  It seems like the PC model is going to be approx $20 a "season" which might be a year?  GTS is in desperate need of expansion, but one wonders at what cost?

BradLTL
11/7/17 12:42 p.m.
racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/8/17 3:10 a.m.
BradLTL said:

GTLM and GTD are the cars without ABS. 

GT3 are allowed ABS. 

http://nasportscar.com/gtlm-v-gtd-v-gt3/

The series will run “realistic” aids. That’s part of why I picked GT3s first. They’ll generally be easier to drive and race while we are getting comfortable with the physics engine. Then we can run older cars with less aids for later series. 

That article is from 2014.  GTD cars are now GT3 spec, which allows ABS.

BradLTL
11/8/17 6:29 a.m.

In reply to racerfink :

I thought that, but didn’t feel the desire to read the actual rule book. smiley

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/8/17 12:43 p.m.
BradLTL said:

G29 wheel, $200 off for the next 13 hours...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Z0UWWYC/ref=mh_s9_acsd_bw_wf_a_NREmainw_cdl_12?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-3&pf_rd_r=JC6AVCVAV1TNVGHEVTVP&pf_rd_t=1201&pf_rd_p=f07872a2-9cb3-4dbe-a143-c16d36249f81&pf_rd_i=17139745011&th=1&psc=1

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff...

Had to stop and think about it before pulling the trigger. NLA at that price, though other sellers have it up for $270, though that now feels like setting $70 on fire.

Stopped by Best Buy last week, and they didn't have anything set up, but apparently they do have a Sony rep setting up a proper wheel and all on weekends. Perhaps I'll stop in and see whether it actually feels as much better as I hope. I set up my PS3 a couple of weeks ago to remind myself what "before" felt like, and it was so bad it momentarily nuked my interest in the whole subject.

Oh, thanks for the heads-up, even if I blew it!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/8/17 12:52 p.m.

Keep a look out for Black Friday deals.  Slick Deals is a good sight:

https://slickdeals.net/

It looks like NewEgg has had deals on them:

https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?src=SearchBarV2&q=thrustmaster&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

BradLTL
11/8/17 7:57 p.m.

Probably going to run some more practice tonight. Anyone interested?

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/9/17 12:09 p.m.
Argo1 said:

OK, I've spent about an hour with Asseto Corsa.  Here are some impressions:

1. It's not 20 bucks!  That is the basic game.  There are about 10 download packs to get all the content ranging from $6.99 to $9.99.

2.  The car selection is very impressive IF you bought all the download packs.  Otherwise, not that good.

3.  There are only 13 unique circuits - 14 if you buy the Red Bull ring.  This is weak enough to be a knock out.

4. Driving is a lot of fun. Easy to get comfortable and quick soon.  You can catch slides.  Sound is impressive.

5. This is a fully sorted and bug free game.  Menus are easy.  Things are easy to understand and adjust.

6. Graphics are just OK.  Similar to GT6 but doesn't distract from the racing.

7. Online works easy and the AI cars seem OK to race with.

The bottom line is that there is no perfect sim.  This one loses big by not having enough tracks and by the fact that it would cost over $100 to buy all the content.  However, it is easily the most fun to drive.

Back to back PC2 vs. Asseto with a McLaren 650S GT3 at Spa:  Asseto - Easy to drive. No cold tire out lap issues.  Running 2:26's easily after 4 laps.  PC2- Big difference.  Easy on the out lap.  Much harder to drive.  Harder to catch slides.  Lift throttle oversteer.  Ten laps to get a 2:27.  I would love to compare GTS but no Spa circuit and it takes too long to grind out the unlock of features.

User created content is where Assetto Corsa kicks the crap out Proj. Cars on PC.

Argo1
11/9/17 2:53 p.m.

In reply to FlightService :

Unfortunately, that doesn't help us on PS4. I wish because otherwise I really liked it.

BradLTL
11/23/17 5:23 p.m.

If you’ve been waiting to try PC2, they just released a demo. 

BradLTL
12/7/17 11:33 a.m.

Looks like the new patch is hitting today... clocking in at 4.6GB, so I guess there are a few things in it.

BradLTL
12/8/17 2:10 p.m.

Our next series should be a lot easier to administer...

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/online-championships.html?lang=en

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/8/17 5:09 p.m.

Is there anyway to know what version you have on the PS4, or know if it's updated?  I can't tell, and have not seen any notices.

I did play around with a Group 5 911 and 2002 turbo a bit, and the understeer thing is clearly a GT3 (or at least GT3 Ferrari) thing!  I think it's a bit like the McLaren in GT6.  It's fast, but an absolute plow pig.

I did some laps at Watkins Glen.  Pretty straight forward track, not a lot tricky corners and pretty wide.  I suspect the chicane will be the biggest trouble area.

Oh, and on AI stupidity:  Do a class race with the Group 5 911 and an autoclutch.  The car bogs off the line and the car behind you will absolutely steamroll you if you don't swerve out of the way! Every Time!  Generally good, but when it's stupid, it's real stupid.  I would agree with Argo, as long as you do what is expected, you are entirely safe.  We will have to learn all its idiosyncrasies.  Of course, if we get enough drivers, we won't need them...

Argo1
12/8/17 5:32 p.m.

I know that mine isn't updated because I don't have the new championship management function button.  I've been turning my PS4 fully off after use.  I'm now leaving it on standby so that it will receive updates.

BradLTL
12/8/17 5:57 p.m.

Read that the online championship doesn’t support the fill with AI feature. So I don’t think we can really use it until we get mostly full fields. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/9/17 9:12 p.m.

I fired up the game and gave it another shot today. It was better than the first time, but I’m still having issues. Tried a couple of GT3 cars at Road America, but I keep getting this weird steering bounce in corners that I can’t seem to tune out through car settings or wheel settings. I’ll turn in and it’s like the car loses grip, regains it, loses it regains it, etc through a single corner. Is that normal? It’s like the car won’t take a set. 

Theres still something about this game that gives me a headache. Maybe it’s the field of vision or a bumper cam view that’s not from the same exact point as GT. 

Argo1
12/9/17 10:17 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon :

It can take some time and trial and error to get the correct settings to get a good feel.  There are a lot of settings to mess with.  I had the "light" steering feel initially.  Now just over crests.

The view can be fully customized and I have found each car needs to be a bit different to get the best cockpit view.  The bumper view is a version of cheating...er...I mean, I don't use that view.  Try the cockpit view in an open wheel car.

Argo1
12/9/17 10:44 p.m.

The patch still hasn't downloaded.   I am anxious to see what updates and fixes it includes.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/10/17 12:06 a.m.

There are a LOT of settings you can mess with Spool.  Setting the steering to full realistic (or whatever it's called) is helpful.  Disabling the look into corners helps also.  Since you are used to GT try the hood view.  The bumper view is way to low. 

The GT3 cars are pretty funky compared to what we normally drove in GT.  The tuning range is not that big either (at least with these cars).  A good suggestion is to completely turn off ABS and TC (which is 100, not 0).  This will give you a good idea how the car wants to handle.  Non-ABS brakes are much easier to use in this game.  Being able to adjust brake pressure is a huge help also.

I will see if I can record my relevant settings since they are probably a good transition point coming from GT.

Oh, and one reason you may be getting steering bounce: KEEP YOUR DAMN TIRES ON THE TRACK! cheeky  This is not GT, it WILL let you know when your tires are not fully on the track.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hg1hW0b7Q3KtTp9zSN0dewDr5M3yVMGrCwsZR8wMo2q7fdnvysjZtgbOA27RHoMi