1 2 3 ... 7
artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/29/20 8:58 a.m.

https://snowrunner-thegame.com/

I know there was a thread on here somewhere about playing SpinTires Mudrunner. Currently downloading snowrunner to my xbox, wondering if anyone's had a chance to try it out yet?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
4/29/20 12:18 p.m.

My XBL party friends were playing it while I was on iRacing last night. There seemed to be mixed reviews in the party. Some of the guys were laughing and having fun while others seemed frustrated. I'll wait for further reviews before I purchsae. 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
4/29/20 1:58 p.m.

The driving physics and camera have been improved over Mudrunner, but the menus are kinda frustrating to figure out how to do what you want.

It's most fun when you're exploring a map in a scout truck and puzzling the best way to get to a watchtower to unlock more of the map.  Less fun is making it just feet from your objective and rolling your vehicle, stalling your engine and making your winch useless leaving you to either bring another truck to rescue you or just "recover" where you respawn back at waypoint and you can make another attempt.  Apparently with a little cash, you can buy a winch that will operate even with a stalled engine, so that's going to be the next mod to my little International Scout.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
4/29/20 3:31 p.m.

not bad to start. played some for a few hours on multi player last night. did a few upgrades to a couple of trucks and did not really get any contracts don at all. spent time finding things last night. I am going to be playing here and there and if you want to pop over, gamer tag ckosacranoid on xbox.

artur1808
4/30/20 6:52 a.m.

Had a chance to play it briefly yesterday and honestly, I think I like it more than mudrunner so far. I totally agree that the menus and controls can be a bit frustrating at times, but I think I'll adapt pretty quick. I welcome the ability to modify the trucks and the variety in contracts/tasks.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
5/2/20 7:12 p.m.

takes some getting use to for sure. but something different for trucks at least and a very good mix of trail rigs and working trucks.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
5/4/20 9:13 a.m.

No Switch version yet, but I'm hopeful.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
5/4/20 4:22 p.m.

nope, just the master race, xbox and ps4.

Tactical Penguin
5/4/20 5:39 p.m.

I haven't had much time to play the last week, but the little time I've had has been frustrating with how bad the stock bigger trucks are on the Michigan map.  I was watching some Youtube videos on the subject and saw one guy suggesting selling the GM and Ford big rigs you find early in the game along with a few of the trailers you can find, and buying the International Paystar 5070 as it's a much more capable rig and makes completing missions alone far easier.

artur1808
5/5/20 6:35 a.m.

In reply to Tactical Penguin :

That's interesting, I keep forgetting about the ability to sell parts/trucks. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
5/5/20 6:55 a.m.
artur1808 said:

Story of my life.

Tactical Penguin
5/5/20 7:11 p.m.
artur1808 said:

I still haven't done this yet, but what I've seen says there's really no penalty for selling stuff if you need it later.  It sells for the same as it costs in the store.  I'm hoping to have a little time tonight to try this out.

artur1808
5/6/20 7:16 a.m.

I believe this is true, I sold off a set of highway tires last night and received the full value of a new set in the store. Not sure how it goes with entire trucks though, I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Tactical Penguin
5/6/20 1:42 p.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

It looks like it holds true, I sold off the Chevy pickup and the preorder military semi truck last night and have more credits than I need at the moment.  I still can't figure out how to sell trailers, but can happily report that the International Paystar is a beast on even the smallest all-terrain tires and I'm making steady progress in Michigan.

Minor rant:  I really wish you didn't have to go through the motions of actually driving to the task box to track a job.  I winched a stuck highway truck out of a marsh and towed it back to the correct farm only to have to drop it there and return to the marsh to actually accept the job, then go back to the farm and tow the truck around a bit more for it to accept the job as done.

It's still a lot of fun, and I imagine a lot of these gripes will be patched, but you have to wonder just what the devs are thinking sometimes.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
5/7/20 2:28 p.m.

if nothing else, sometimes taking a scout to the box to start the mission and then jump into a truck that you will use works also. I have seen once you get some of the upgrades the free truck really comes into its own. was playing last night and it would go though everything with no issues.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
5/8/20 10:24 a.m.

Is it possible to save progress in multiplayer? That killed Spintires. Grinding through mud for an hour and then an unexpected crash disconnects you, and all progress is lost.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
5/11/20 6:53 p.m.

SnowRunner is an interesting game it's not my normal kind of fare but I've been enjoying it so far.   I agree with the others the ui and task system is a bit jank.   The physics and terrain deformation is impressive.   It is very open ended but you are limited by the difficulty of an area's terrain and the capabilities of your stable of vehicles.   

While you do have the chance for things to go belly up at nearly any moment there is almost always a way to salvage things.   Case in point I had a truck and trailer working on restoring a wooden bridge.   I slogged through nearly an hour of tight muddy trails to get to the bridge with the cargo needed to repair it.   Right at the end I rolled my trailer and my truck dumping my cargo.   I recovered my truck but the map state stayed.   So I purchased a little crane that goes on the bed and drove once again to the drop off point.   My spilled cargo sitting there..   I used the crane to right the trailer picked up my spilled cargo and finished the mission.  

The difficulty comes from navigating the terrain and doing whatever you need to do to complete the tasks.   There are many considerations for the player that don't needlessly add to the difficulty and bookkeeping and I appreciate that.   These are things like fuel has no cost in money.   You just need to spend time to get to a station or to get a refueling rig where you need it.   Repairs are free, and apart from specific race events there are no timers on the missions.   That being said this is an extremely slow paced game, upgrades are hard fought but satisfying and impactful.

While some people may be put off by the lack of direction and hand holding I like that there isn't some voice saying "no don't explore you must go do this then that".   As long as you go in knowing that this is a game about taking your time, planning, and working through numerous setbacks you will probably enjoy SnowRunner especially for anyone already with an penchant for this kind of driving.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
5/13/20 1:46 p.m.

been playing the hell out of it the past few weeks, some online stuff with people, other times off loine getting my stuff done to find trucks or upgrades and getting the maps so you get around easy to do stuff later.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/22/20 7:35 a.m.

Little bit late to the party, but this was on sale so I picked it up yesterday. Wow, this game is going to consume my life. A lot of fun, and very satisfying. The International Fleetstar that they give is a beast once you do the AWD conversion with locking diffs and a lift. I haven't hit the level where I get the good offroad tires for it yet, but even on the highway tires, that thing just goes anywhere. I put a box on the back of it and then tend to lash it to the MH9500 with a winch to use the GMC as a powered trailer, and then go wherever I want.

failboat (Forum Supporter)
failboat (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/22/20 1:24 p.m.
TopNoodles said:

Is it possible to save progress in multiplayer? That killed Spintires. Grinding through mud for an hour and then an unexpected crash disconnects you, and all progress is lost.

When you host or join multiplayer, you are playing the host's single player game and any progress made online is saved to the host's single player campaign. Any progress made will not apply to your single player game unless you are the host.

I am not sure if it is in the recent update or coming soon, the multiplayer will allow you to switch regions soon enough. Right now if you start in Michigan, you are stuck in the michigan maps so to speak, but can access the adjacent maps through the tunnels. 

FYI if you want to join a multiplayer game, you need to go to single player to store your trucks that you want to use online in your garage. If you leave your trucks scattered around the map, and join someone else's game, you wont have access to them. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/23/20 5:21 p.m.

This game makes me mad. Is it virtually impossible to make any progress solo?

failboat (Forum Supporter)
failboat (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/24/20 8:44 a.m.

just starting out, the first 2 trucks kinda suck out of the box.  definitely use the fleetstar that you get when you find the garage. if a road looks muddy and thicc, drive around on the shoulder if you can.

The Loadstar makes for an awesome scout once you upgrade it, stock without the lift it kinda gets stuck a lot in deep mud and snow. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/24/20 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Yes. I'm level 7 playing solo. Stay in Michigan, get the Fleetstar and the lift, lockers and AWD conversion for it. Jettison the MH9500 as soon as you can. The Fleetstar is an absolute monster and even without the offroad tires, it will go pretty much anywhere. Once you can afford it (sell excess trucks), I hear that the Paystar is also amazing and even more capable than the Fleetstar, though a little down on power.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/29/20 11:13 a.m.

I finally bought the Paystar. Woof, what a gamechanger.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/20 11:42 a.m.

I have this and it is addictive. The steering is a bit weird. You get nothing then suddenly crazy over boosted steering. Other than the steering it is a really well done game.  I like that you have to change it up from doing heavy halling  of stuff to then taking a scout truck out and getting hidden easier eggs. I also like the ability to reset back to the garage. At first I thought it was to much of a cheat but after playing it is a good balance to the game. 

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
esGZed9hctuBMIJByzLMrM3I8NYf79dIlPVIQ7QAkd2Ew7CsZZ4nrjwt8dCYPcg5