1 2
spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
5/13/09 7:31 a.m.

I watched Twist the Throttle on tape last night that was about MV Agusta. Very neat bikes. Doesn't everybody wish they could buy right to a name and start a new motorcycle company?

Previous shows have been about BMW, Kawasaki and Honda.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/13/09 7:53 a.m.

If you have never seen the movie 'Hannibal Rising', there is a beautiful MV Agusta single that figures very prominently.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
5/13/09 2:56 p.m.

And they're now owned by Harley Davidson. Those guys really really really wanted Aermacchi back real bad.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/13/09 3:08 p.m.

Wow, didn't know that. I have GOT to get current with the motorcycle world again.

alex
alex HalfDork
5/14/09 2:28 a.m.

I rode a '70s MV Agusta 750 S a couple years ago, unsupervised on city streets in the early morning. It's probably the coolest I'll ever be.

http://presarthumauto.blogspot.com/2008/02/moto-fest.html

That is all. Return to your regular discussion.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/09 9:21 a.m.

I can't wrap my head around the concept of a $30K, $50K or $100K Italian Superbike. I mean, how much better than a Gixxer can it possibly be? I would love to ride one to find out what the fuss is all about. Of course, that means I would have to start exceeding 55mph and leaning more than 2-degrees.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
5/14/09 7:04 p.m.

Compare a Corvette with a Ferrari. Awesome, capable cars. But at the end of the day, the Vette will not be a Ferrari. Same applies to bikes.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
5/14/09 7:07 p.m.

According to the show, their first bike after the renewal was $19,000. I have to admit, from the TV, the bike is WELL made. A later and slower model was a naked bike, but they never gave the price. The maxed out superbike was $130,000 I think.

BTW, the high dollar bikes all sold out, but they only made 100 of one and 300 of another. Not sure if they make that many each year of what.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
5/15/09 11:30 a.m.

I am pretty sure the normal MV Agusta superbike is slower then a Gixxer.

Timeormoney
Timeormoney New Reader
5/18/09 8:45 p.m.

Friend of mine had an MV, something relatively modern. 4 into 4 exhaust, amazing body work. Just a work of art with a sound that made our Duc's sound like Gixxers'. Its the only bike he ever sold that he wanted back. I always look for them on craigslist and cycle trader hoping to find a seller that just doesn't know what they have.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
5/24/09 11:52 p.m.

A local restaurant owner's girl bought an Agusta. He brought it over to show us last weekend. I snapped some pictures--it was one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/25/09 10:20 a.m.

IIRC, the Guggenheim 'Art of the Motorcycle' exhibit had an MV Agusta which belonged to the King of Spain.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/10/17 9:41 a.m.

I know this is an old thread, but I watched the Twist the Throttle on MV last night on YouTube.

I really want a Brutale.  I think that will be my next bike.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
11/10/17 9:50 a.m.

"It's not about how fast you go. It's about how you go fast"

Buy an Italian bike, it'll change your life.

MV's sound amazing. The Aprilia V4 makes a wonderful noise as well.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/10/17 11:02 a.m.

Change your life? Of course. You'll become an excellent mechanic.cheeky

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/10/17 7:36 p.m.

I sat on an Aprilia RSV4 factory at the Moto gp race year before last. Never wanted a bike so bad just from sitting on one. 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
11/10/17 7:54 p.m.

Never had any touble from any of my Italian bikes.

A 'Guzzi twin will rival a Honda for long life.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
11/11/17 6:30 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

I sat on an Aprilia RSV4 factory at the Moto gp race year before last. Never wanted a bike so bad just from sitting on one. 

I've ridden its' Tuono V4 cousin- they are magical, I've never "accidentally" been above 120 so many times in 5 minutes.  The electronics mask how fast you're accelerating while the exhaust note says "more throttle please"

On the subject of MV Agustas, older Brutales are getting cheap enough to be tempting, but the maintenance scares me a little.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
11/23/17 7:30 a.m.

Funny thing is I have no recollection of starting this thread. 

I have never owned a bike, but lately I have been prowling ADVrider for a Guzzi.  

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
11/27/17 9:57 p.m.
former520
former520 HalfDork
11/27/17 10:21 p.m.

MVs are often discounted steeply at the dealerships.  The one down the street has new bikes 14-15k all day long....   

PerniciousLies
PerniciousLies New Reader
12/3/17 12:04 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

On the subject of MV Agustas, older Brutales are getting cheap enough to be tempting, but the maintenance scares me a little.

I've had a 910s for several years now. I've only put a couple thousand miles on it, but it hasn't given me any problems. There are a couple known issues, but nothing major. The engines themselves are pretty solid, and the build quality is great. 

They are an all or nothing bike though. It rewards being pushed, but it's not the most fun to just cruise. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/7/18 3:13 p.m.

Over the course of 3 months I convinced my co-worker that he needed an F4.

He just purchased a '17 base F4, waiting for it to be shipped from Vegas.

Can't wait to ride it!

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
2/9/18 7:55 p.m.

Just my idiot opinion, but a thread like this bragging on a bike is pretty berkleyin' useless without some pics.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
2/9/18 7:57 p.m.

That is one sweet ride.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iYQgmMjNYQySvS7hJt2wJ3vdnKPvTLZFMXiqP29Oe8fhLGbu8XQ7PGNv0wDYDUnz