1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/14/11 7:46 a.m.

I'm looking for a new helmet & would like one with an integrated sun visor.

I've been looking at a edit: scorpion Exo500/1000 or the HJC IS-16

Any thoughts? Maybe modular?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
7/14/11 8:47 a.m.

Why? Is it the look you are after or is the sun so bad that you would give up the areodynamics to block it? I have never ridden at highway speeds with my motorcross helmet, but I would think that the visor would cause your head to be pulled around and make all kinds of wind noise.

Did you try adding dark window tint to the top part of your sheild (like the strip on the top of car windows)?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/14/11 9:04 a.m.

Internal shield...Aerodynamics kept

flips in and out with a lever outside the helmet

oobert
oobert New Reader
7/14/11 9:10 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I'm looking for a new helmet & would like one with an integrated sun visor. I've been looking at a Shoei Exo500/1000 or the HJC IS-16 Any thoughts? Maybe modular?

I think you mean the Scorpion EXO*

My brother has a modular HJC with integrated visor. It's definitely very useful and I really wish I would've looked into it as well. His helmet was around 3x as much as mine though (I have the Scorpion exo-400, without the sun visor). I use a tinted face shield or a clear shield with sunglasses. I think the integrated sun visor is hugely convenient.

I saw a deal on the EXO 1000 a few months ago for $100-$120. I really wish I bought it back then.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
7/14/11 9:17 a.m.

Are you talking about a flip-down tinted shield? If so, run away from the modular Scorpion EXO 900 Transformer . As clever as it is, it's loud as hell and the ventilation sucks ass. If their EXO1000 is anything like the EXO700 that I have, it should be a fine helmet.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/14/11 10:22 a.m.

Clear outer shield, tinted flip down shield inside helmet

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
7/14/11 12:50 p.m.

I found internal visors like that to be completely useless.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/14/11 12:53 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: I found internal visors like that to be completely useless.

how so?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
7/14/11 1:29 p.m.

They rattle, they always seem to be too big or too small, and all of the helmets I tried with them seem to be quite heavy.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
7/14/11 1:55 p.m.

They don't work well with glasses either.

I've been using "The Super Visor" for two years now and love it. http://www.super-visor.com/ Cheap to try. But it does add to wind noise.

I still use my RX sun glasses but only for glare off the big ass chrome head light! all angles of sun reflect it right at my eyes. Some day I'll flat black it.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
7/14/11 4:24 p.m.

Anyone have experience with the new Bell helmets that have the auto darkening shields?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/11 4:26 p.m.

I've got a Schuberth S1 (which probably isn't officially available in the US) that has an internal sun visor. Works very well even with glasses and it's a very quiet helmet so not all of them have the sort of issues that Osterkraut mentions. Then again, it's anything but a cheap helmet so I guess you get what you pay for.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
7/14/11 4:37 p.m.

I've heard good things about Schuberth helmets

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/11 5:09 p.m.

I love mine, though it's starting to fall apart now. Had this thing for something like 6 years, 4 1/2 of which I had a daily motorbike commute of approx 120 miles. I'd buy another one in a flash, but I believe the only DOT approved one is the flip-up helmet and I'm not keen on those.

alex
alex SuperDork
7/17/11 11:48 a.m.

Nolan has some models with integrated sun shades. I like the helmets all right (never owned one, but rode in a shop tester a few times), but I'm not gaga over them. And if I recall, the sunshade was too small to be much help, but things may have changed since I was selling them a few years back.

I just switch visors. On my Shark*, it takes about 4 seconds.

(*Best Helmet Ever, in my humble opinion.)

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
7/17/11 12:43 p.m.
alex wrote: Nolan has some models with integrated sun shades. I like the helmets all right (never owned one, but rode in a shop tester a few times), but I'm not gaga over them. And if I recall, the sunshade was too small to be much help, but things may have changed since I was selling them a few years back. I just switch visors. On my Shark*, it takes about 4 seconds. (*Best Helmet Ever, in my humble opinion.)

The problem is trying to bring extra shields with you. The size and shape don't fit into a lot of smaller tank bags and there is no where to store it on most non touring motorcycles.

alex
alex SuperDork
7/17/11 9:37 p.m.

Tuck the shield around the side of your torso inside your jacket. Perfect fit. Problem solved.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
7/18/11 8:13 a.m.

I got tired of wearing my MX helmet on the street (getting hit in the face by a june bug at highway speed will do that), and just bought this dual sport helmet. I doubt it's what you're looking for, but it is pretty nice on the street.

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
7/18/11 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Grtechguy:

I recently tried on both and the HJC IS-16 impressed me more. The integrated sun visor actually worked well (I've had others that only came half-way down and blocked my vision). The liner felt comfortable and is removable. It'll probably be my next one.The EXO1000 looked more cheaply built to me and the air pump thing seemed like an unnecessary complication that didn't really add much benefit.

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
7/18/11 9:17 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I've got a Schuberth S1 (which probably isn't officially available in the US) that has an internal sun visor. Works very well even with glasses and it's a very quiet helmet so not all of them have the sort of issues that Osterkraut mentions. Then again, it's anything but a cheap helmet so I guess you get what you pay for.

I think I saw one at Iron Pony yesterday (worlds biggest motorcycle accessory store...amazing place!!!) but it was $700 or so.

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
7/18/11 9:21 a.m.

If you're thinking of a modular helmet, keep in mind that the part that flips up is not structural. The protection would be about the same as wearing a 3/4 helmet with a decorative plastic piece in front.

I wish someone made a modular helmet with the same protection as a full-face helmet.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/18/11 1:01 p.m.
mpolans wrote: If you're thinking of a modular helmet, keep in mind that the part that flips up is not structural. The protection would be about the same as wearing a 3/4 helmet with a decorative plastic piece in front. I wish someone made a modular helmet with the same protection as a full-face helmet.

ahh...in that case....regular full face for sure. Don't want to mess up this pretty mug.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/18/11 2:10 p.m.

Well, this is what I ended up with. I can put a pin-lock shield on it as well

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
7/27/11 5:24 p.m.

How is it thus far?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/27/11 7:02 p.m.

Well, I've put about 800 miles on with it so far, doing 1500 this weekend.

quite pleased all in all. Definitely worth the $190

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IK3rh4JaOr4gc8zcOW0EPIw4GjyTW2cFKausvmsizaGV86qaP6B35xT0DnQ5MARa