twopointwo
twopointwo New Reader
1/31/16 10:08 p.m.

Isn't it always the parts getter for the racecar that ends up being the total headache to work on?

Vehicle is a 2006 Volvo V70R. The car developed a massive exhaust leak between the manifold and the head, assumed this was caused by the manifold gaskets as they're known to be an issue, but this was not the case.

The single stud on the outside of ports 1 and 5 (furthest passenger side and furthest driver's side studs respectively) are both broken off in the head, below the surface of the head. I can get in there with a 90* air drill, but I can't see anything from the top, and it's a long reach from the bottom.

Has anyone had any success extracting exhaust studs on a whiteblock or from a similarly cramped/blind situation without dropping the engine? I can drop the subframe a few inches without disconnecting everything, and that may give me enough room to make it easier. I'm considering making a guide sleeve for the drill/extractor that will press in to the bolt holes in the manifold to ensure I at least drill a straight pilot hole for an extractor of some sort.

Anyone have any input? Experience?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
1/31/16 11:23 p.m.

Aluminum head, right? You can remove it with chemicals!

(Coarse language warning)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fqZYgReuywM

erohslc
erohslc Dork
2/1/16 11:07 a.m.

Frikkin' amazing ...

twopointwo
twopointwo New Reader
2/4/16 11:59 a.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: Aluminum head, right? You can remove it with chemicals! (Coarse language warning) https://www.youtube.com/embed/fqZYgReuywM

As an Albertan, I fully appreciate that video. Many work projects have been described in that dialect.

My situation gave me very little space around the bolt holes. I had hard coolant lines in the way on the passenger side, and soft coolant lines in addition to a lip on the block in my way of the driver's side. To add to it, I had ~8" of space to the firewall.

I would've had to have fabricated containers to try this method.

Turns out the right formula was a 90* air drill, an automatic center punch, an assortment of left hand drill bits, high quality extractors, and zen-like patience. I spent ~2hrs laying on top of the engine for one stud, and probably 1.5hrs underneath to get the other.

I then realized I didn't have a 12 pt socket for the new ARP hardware and called it a night.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry New Reader
2/5/16 6:11 a.m.

Impressive work. I bet the amount of pain of the job was only matched by the amount of joy when you, at last, held the offending bits in your hand!

firefly1_0
firefly1_0 New Reader
2/24/16 9:30 a.m.
jfryjfry wrote: Impressive work. I bet the amount of pain of the job was only matched by the amount of joy when you, at last, held the offending bits in your hand!

i think you mean "chocolate chips"...

Our Preferred Partners
ZVGvTovmnmIQyen7boE0f6yQURyDZ1fouYyc884dQhbjgypUznWYPrReTZQTWzmh