1 2
fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/14/19 2:25 p.m.

Came across a glass cleaning tip from one of the many OCD vehicle detailers on YouTube and thought... hell, it's worth a shot.

Before using glass cleaner on interior glass, clean glass first w/ a Multi-Purpose automotive cleaner applied w/ a Magic Eraser sponge. Wipe dry w/ a micro fiber towel. (Follow MP Cleaner directions for glass). Finish with automotive glass cleaner and dry w/ MF towel. 

I did the usual interior glass cleaning on my car w/ Invisible Glass and while it looked clean initially night driving w/ oncoming headlight glare and haze said it's not quite as clean as I had thought.

On my truck I followed the detailer tip and used a Multi-Purpose Cleaner (ArmorAll, just because I had it on the shelf) applied w/ the Magic Eraser followed by Invisible Glass. Crystal clear and proven at night. The white sponge showed the dirt, yikes I never imagined that. 

One added step w/ products I already had. Why didn't I think of that?

YMMV

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/14/19 9:15 p.m.

I just use a crumpled up piece of newspaper. Works great laugh

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/14/19 9:34 p.m.

I make cleaners for a living. Invisible Glass is a great glass cleaner, but no glass cleaner will be able to cut very much grease. You cant put much of the active cleaning chemicals in a glass cleaner or it streaks. So cleaning first with a general purpose cleaner that CAN cut grease, especially on a micro abrasive makes a lot of sense. Then the glass cleaner takes off the surfactant residue from the GP cleaner.

I've never tried the method, but you can bet I will.

LarryNH
LarryNH GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/15/19 5:49 p.m.

I will try this as well.  My normal glass cleaning is use a spray bottle filled with distilled water and use a glass cleaning towel, available from cooking stores or from my wife when they get stained.  Usually takes 2 passes.  Works on interior and exterior.  I take a filled spray bottle and towel on every road trip to clean exterior glass every morning.

Denis123
Denis123 New Spammer
12/28/19 6:05 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

I also use this...the result is always great. 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/19 6:23 p.m.

What's newspaper?

;)

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/22/20 2:39 p.m.

will the abrasives in a Magic Eraser damage window tint?

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/22/20 2:44 p.m.

In reply to stylngle2003 :

I certainly think they would.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/22/20 2:47 p.m.

following, because I can never seem to get the inside of my windsheild very clean.

How do you guys reach down to the bottom?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/22/20 3:37 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

My shoulders are absolute E36 M3 so extending my arms/reach is a problem for me when cleaning the windshield.  I've found this (or serveral other equivalent products) quite helpful.  Cost is not bad, especially if I consider it asomething approaching durable medical equipment.

I use it with a micro fiber cover dry for a first going over, or maybe just barely dampened with at little window cleaner.  The handle lets me put a little elbow grease into it.

Once that's done I can clean per usual with an appropriate towel and cleaner with minimal effort.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/22/20 4:50 p.m.

Sponge or eraser with light grease cutter then followed by a wipe down with 75% IPA. Clean as a whistle. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/22/20 11:21 p.m.
stylngle2003 said:

will the abrasives in a Magic Eraser damage window tint?

Try a micro fiber towel or applicator if you have any doubts. From my observations I think the multi-purpose cleaner is key though.

I recently cleaned my Dad's car windows, prolly not done right since '14. Invisible Glass wouldn't touch the grime. MP cleaner cut it.

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
1/22/20 11:28 p.m.

I use one of these microfiber wands DRY and it works fantastic.  Better than any cleaner I've ever used.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/23/20 5:50 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Sponge or eraser with light grease cutter then followed by a wipe down with 75% IPA. Clean as a whistle. 

Theres a reason old school glass cleaners were mostly IPA and ammonia. It freakin' worked!  However, it also contributed to smog issues in Cali, so you cant buy it that way anymore. At least, that's what California told us when they passed all this VOC regs.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/20 5:59 a.m.

What's IPA?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/20 6:23 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/23/20 7:15 a.m.

I use isopropyl alcohol as a general purpose glass cleaner- works great on eyeglasses, disinfects them too.  In the garage I have a 1.5 liter jug of the cheapest E36 M3 Vodka I could find.  IIRC it was like $10.  Great for cleaning, though it does raise some eyebrows when people come into the garage and see it sitting on the shelf.  

Mean Green is a good GP cleaner too, and works great on glass.  

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/29/20 7:47 a.m.

Source video for the original post:

A microfiber applicator sponge or small soft foam household sponge should work as well w/o out worry of scratching.

And use common sense.

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
1/30/20 8:53 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

following, because I can never seem to get the inside of my windsheild very clean.

How do you guys reach down to the bottom?

I have an admittedly bizarre-looking technique that you can use to clean the bottom of the inside of the windshield.

Grab your sponge or towel, hop in the car, lean your front seats all the way back, and turn around so you face the rear of your car. Hold your towel with your palms facing upwards towards the ceiling, straighten your arms, and press the towel against the windshield.

When you face backwards, your elbows bend in the same direction as the curvature of the windshield so you can get all the way to the base where it meets the dash. You will get all sorts of strange looks from your neighbors, but it works well and you don't need any special tools to do it.

fmart
fmart None
4/16/20 11:29 p.m.

For the effective interior glass cleaning, you need vinegar, water and alcohol. You have to use 50% water, 50% alcohol and a cup of white vinegar.

I will say it is an effective method to clean interior glass of a car. However, it is not much popular!

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/12/20 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Subjoin :

That's the spirit.

speedmust
speedmust New Reader
5/20/20 2:08 a.m.

Yes. That's what I would do just so the first won't be too much if I use us the glass cleaner like I put a microfiber cloth which is dry and after that's the only time I would spray it with the cleaner. 

melissaazevedo
melissaazevedo
6/19/20 4:02 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

It's Amazing.. I have heard this before.. But I didn't think it would work.. After seeing this post.. I just tried without thinking of the proper result.. Anyway it worked buddy..

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/25/20 4:59 a.m.

Bet it works great on glass canoes

dased54409
dased54409 New Reader
8/17/20 8:11 a.m.

Eu nem dava muita bola para isso, mas depois de ler esse artigo minhas crenças mudaram e realmente dá certo. Valeu!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Uw4m2YVhfYNFRJiFivQ8qOVt1wyFf80utvdv2D0NF4yik9v13FU35Vv2XUGfY6t