VegasNick
VegasNick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/26/18 6:28 p.m.

Any suggestions on cleaning hardware in bulk? Do the vibro-tumblers work? I really don't want to sand blast every single left over nut and bolt to this build. 

Most of this is going to sand blasting or get replaced but the small stuff like the bolts for the camber/caster adjustments. The shock mount bolts, the bolts from the dust shield, etc are just ugly. I'd like to find a way to clean them in bulk if possible. Back years ago, we could rop them off for hot tanking but I am not sure anyone even does that anymore. 

8valve
8valve New Reader
1/26/18 7:09 p.m.

Liquid acidic based rust removers work, but its not cheap enough to suit bolt and nuts.  Electrolysis is a pain for a bunch of small bolts too.  What kind of vibro setup did you have in mind?  The stuff for flashing removal probably wouldn't work for rusty bolts. The media would just ruin the thread peaks and not get into the valleys.  Oh maybe you mean the ultrasonic cleaners? That is a good idea, could work well for bolts.  I'd try that first if it were me.  Its nice because you just set it a forget it.  Come back a few hours later..

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/18 7:24 p.m.

I drop greasy bolts into a mayonnaise jar filled with Simple Green for a day or so to degrease and then into another jar of EvapoRust for another couple of days and they come out looking great.

VegasNick
1/27/18 5:18 a.m.

In reply to 8valve :

I have seen basically the rock tumblers with ceramic media, but as you pointed out, I don't want to destroy threads. 

VegasNick
1/27/18 5:19 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

That is an idea to try for sure. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
1/28/18 6:29 a.m.

Rusty hardware is hardware with failed protective coating. No matter how much effort you put into cleaning it, without renewing the protective coating on it, rust will quickly return. Painting and other such efforts are usually a kludge.

Have it replated. The going rate is one dollar per pound. You drop off dirty and rusty hardware, they return new looking hardware to you. You could probably have every single fastener on an average car done for under fifty bucks and never have to get your hands dirty.

(pictures above are from the last motorcycle I restored)

VegasNick
1/28/18 7:28 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie :

WOW! I'll have to see if I can find a place here to do it!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
1/28/18 4:56 p.m.

What do they coat it with?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/18 5:34 p.m.

Wow, I never even knew that was an option.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/28/18 6:58 p.m.

I didn't know this was an option either. Off to Google for plating shops...

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
2/2/18 7:07 p.m.

That shiny finish is nice but not for me or for the builds I do. I prefer the black oxide finish and while not rust proof it usually fits look I want.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
2/2/18 8:27 p.m.
jimbbski said:

That shiny finish is nice but not for me or for the builds I do. I prefer the black oxide finish and while not rust proof it usually fits look I want.

They can plate it different colors. Black being one of the choices they offer. Same price. Check your local coating shop if you're interested.

tedroach
tedroach Reader
2/8/18 11:25 a.m.

That is amazing. What kind of place does this? Is it just called a replating company? I will look into this for my 65 Chevelle.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
2/8/18 11:44 a.m.
tedroach said:

That is amazing. What kind of place does this? Is it just called a replating company? I will look into this for my 65 Chevelle.

I found my place by Google searching "zinc plating" in my local area.

tedroach
tedroach Reader
2/8/18 2:23 p.m.

Thanks!

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/12/18 10:47 a.m.

Thanks Cousin Eddie.  Looks like a great option.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
2/16/18 12:27 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

Rusty hardware is hardware with failed protective coating. No matter how much effort you put into cleaning it, without renewing the protective coating on it, rust will quickly return. Painting and other such efforts are usually a kludge.

Have it replated. The going rate is one dollar per pound. You drop off dirty and rusty hardware, they return new looking hardware to you. You could probably have every single fastener on an average car done for under fifty bucks and never have to get your hands dirty.

(pictures above are from the last motorcycle I restored)

amerson
amerson New Reader
2/21/18 2:49 a.m.

Nice. Looks like re-plating them is the best solution.

5phant
5phant
3/10/18 4:18 a.m.

Lemon juice is also very  helpful to clean rusty metals!

Blasfamous_1jz
Blasfamous_1jz New Reader
3/12/18 1:25 p.m.

Molasses......no BS. Look it up. It will naturally eat away at the rust and not damage base metal. Its also environmentally friendly 

Tays1990
Tays1990 New Reader
3/28/18 2:31 a.m.

I really want to try cleaning mine as well, but still looking for the perfect procedure on how to.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qUWLAbdAooXLG9YLWXba8OJnGVXb13d5jT6WgAMRbSaqpj7eJYmrMbxVCLlrzF7t