SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/22/22 12:46 p.m.

Two videos I did for my highschool mechanics students.

If you find something useful or entertaining, good on ya!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/22/22 2:55 p.m.

Thanks. As someone who hasn't had the opportunity to own one. I learned some things. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/22/22 3:26 p.m.

I'll definitely watch those. We all need safety reminders, new and experienced 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/23/22 9:26 a.m.

Man I need to get a trolley jack for my 4 post...

I kept walking into the ramps for mine while it was up. Eventually covered them in cardboard so it was a bit padded and I wouldn't gash myself on the corners.

For my very narrow bugeye, I put some tape lines down I could center it.  

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
10/25/22 9:24 p.m.

Well done. The only thing you might add is how some of the modern cars have specific lift points and specific attachments to lift with. The pucks for BMW/Mini come to mind but there are a ton of brand specific bits out there.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
10/25/22 10:12 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

Man I need to get a trolley jack for my 4 post...

I kept walking into the ramps for mine while it was up. Eventually covered them in cardboard so it was a bit padded and I wouldn't gash myself on the corners.

For my very narrow bugeye, I put some tape lines down I could center it.  

I've got a bump cap hanging on a hook on the edge of my 2 post for that reason, after the 100th time clocking the top of my head on a low hanging bit I got slightly smarter.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
11/1/22 3:48 p.m.

You never locked the arms on the 2-post lift, and never discussed that.  Might want to add that.

11/2/22 10:07 p.m.

Oh! Good call!

Updated.  Added at 5:08

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
11/3/22 8:02 p.m.

Centering

I drew a ruler on the floor on each side...hit the same number with each wheel and you're centered...

1/6/23 10:27 a.m.

Updated because someone paddled in, bringing this to the front, and I noticed that one of the videos was down.  Also added floor jacks.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/20/23 10:51 a.m.

Some good reminders in them and watching quick and dirty honing next because it feels dirty looking at videos on sloppy mechanics.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy HalfDork
11/13/23 7:16 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

Updated because someone paddled in, bringing this to the front, and I noticed that one of the videos was down.  Also added floor jacks.

Great addition for the majority of casual home mechanics who have a jack, but not a lift. Pretty sure that you meant 6500 lbs at the 2:23 mark. wink

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
2/20/24 12:59 p.m.

When jacking up the car, NEVER position your hand between the jack stand and the underside of the car........ (1:56)

HundredDollarCar
HundredDollarCar Reader
3/4/24 1:13 p.m.

Excellent two-post video (and the others as well).  I like the "Centering" markings on the shop floor posted by BimmerMaven, too, and intend to adopt the concept.  Beats hanging out the DS/PS windows with a tape measure and guesstimating.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YRfoQ94bzEDK9kI7iDnTogapA1iGD0XCRdef11leiEzCa3mif3iE9uWSFgN1X4T4