Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/2/21 3:59 p.m.

Any good tips for (1) getting into a 2008 Honda Odyssey that's locked and running (with the hood up)?  Or, (2) any tips on how to shut the engine off? AAA should arrive within an hour.  It's not mission critical, but i really feel like an idiot.  

I replaced the front struts and swaybar end links.  Afterwards I put the front end up on jackstands to see if the tires had issues (one of them was started separating and was replaced a few weeks ago).  Unfortunately, even if the back wheels aren't moving, the car will lock itself thinking you're driving it forward.  I'm pretty certain both sets of keys are in the running, wheel-spinning car.  Ugh.

I had a Nissan Stanza and a Tercel that were easy to open with a coat hanger or slim jim back when I was in my teens.  I don't own a slim jim at the moment 

Any chance there's a fuse I can pull to safely shut the car off or a connection I could jump to unlock the doors (from under the hood)?

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/2/21 4:02 p.m.

Do you have access to the battery?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/2/21 4:02 p.m.

I don't know those cars, but I'd go for the fuel pump relay if I had access to it. If it's just idling, there's a decent chance that disconnecting the battery will do it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/2/21 4:04 p.m.

Fuel pump relay, or possibly clamping the fuel line going into the injectors if it isn't steel lined and will get pinched.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/2/21 4:17 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

Do you have access to the battery?

I pulled the battery cables and it just kept running...I suppose the draw at idle is low enough that that the alternator could handle it.  Pop-A-Lock just showed up courtesy of my AAA membership so all is well.  

I considered starting to pull fuses/relays but figured i'd just wait it out once I realized how close the roadside assistance is.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/2/21 4:29 p.m.

I didn't think something that new would do that. Hmm

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/2/21 4:42 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

I didn't think something that new would do that. Hmm

It does lock the doors automatically when you start driving.  I suppose it's smart enough to know something is wrong (abs, traction, etc warning lights)  but not smart enough to realize if the rear wheels aren't moving and there's nobody in the front seats...it's not actually moving

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
6/2/21 5:15 p.m.

Remember to roll down your windows next time ;) 

I almost never work on cars with windows up (unless it's a carwash or requires windows up) because this happened to me once.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/2/21 5:21 p.m.

For future reference disconnecting the battery on a running car made in this century is a great way to damage electrical stuff.  Pulling the fuel pump relay is probably pretty safe but leaving it running is likely the safest thing to do.  Although, running with the wheels spinning does create a potential safety issue.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/21 5:27 p.m.

Couldn't you just pop the intake boot and smother it with something stiff. Sure it might run pig rich for a second,  but so what?

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/2/21 5:35 p.m.

Glad you got it opened up. My advice is don't kick it while it's running on the jack stands. 

JMFTAG
JMFTAG New Reader
6/2/21 5:51 p.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

Absolutely. Even if the Dr's window is inop, one of them should open to allow entrance.  Having another way to get in planned ahead of time helps, too. I keep a spare, non radio key in my wallet to get into my '07 Ranger when I lock the keys in it at the pet groomer... Like that ever happened.

Jeff, The Alignment Guy ®

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/3/21 10:12 a.m.

Hey, you could have locked your keys in your car, with it running and in gear, while stuck on a beach.  Additionally, his phone is locked in the car and he is talking into his watch.

https://old.reddit.com/r/CrazyberkeleyingVideos/comments/nqzyml/takes_talent_to_lock_yourself_out_of_your_car/

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/3/21 12:27 p.m.
JMFTAG said:

In reply to hunter47 :

Absolutely. Even if the Dr's window is inop, one of them should open to allow entrance.  Having another way to get in planned ahead of time helps, too. I keep a spare, non radio key in my wallet to get into my '07 Ranger when I lock the keys in it at the pet groomer... Like that ever happened.

Agreed, windows down would have been smart.  I usually had the windows down when working on my E30, but I haven't done much with the minivan so I'm a bit out of my element.  I did finally find my spare set a few hours after I finally got back in the car.  

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
6/3/21 3:21 p.m.

Break a window.  Happened to my wife before she was my wife.  Locked herself out of her '70 beetle, running.  A street guy offered to hep.  Broke out he side window!

JaxRhapsody
JaxRhapsody New Reader
7/4/21 10:48 p.m.

I accidentally did that when I had my crown vic. I was lucky to be about eight blocks from home  and found a bicycle to speed it up. I went to get my spare. My car had two or three spares, so I keep my keys on a carabiner on a belt loop, except my car key. I kept the spare with my other keys, incase I was dumb enough to do it again.

JaxRhapsody
JaxRhapsody New Reader
7/4/21 10:55 p.m.
JMFTAG said:

In reply to hunter47 :

That's what I'd do with my Neon. It only locked doors at 15mph, but when it started doing weird stuff, like rolling a window down, or unlocking doors, I started getting paranoid since I delivered pizzas and rarely turned the car off, the whole shift

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q26YSMQCBjBoLQsctasEBnU14ShH7EPQSFWeWEhv0JdU3lKAHrSJyTr0hh7kCX57