djhedges
djhedges New Reader
7/5/21 10:09 p.m.

I've been struggling for a while trying to figure out how to add brake ducts to my FWD VW Corrado.  There isn't a whole lot of space on the driver's side to squeeze the ducts between the engine and the wheel well.

Versus engineering had these really cool bake duct pancakes designed for a BRZ/FRS which almost worked for me.  But they had a bend at the end of the 3in inlet that made routing and mounting impossible for the Corrado.  I contemplated 3D printing something similar for my use case.

But I got to thinking the brake ducts are made of bendable wire so why not just flatten them a bit in the shop press?  It means they'll keep the same cross section area and I won't need another set of hose clamps.

Note the Corrado's rotors vent from the outside in so I opted to dump the air on the caliper.  crying

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/5/21 10:24 p.m.

Just an fyi, they don't actually keep the same area...  It's strange, but true.

However, let us know how it works!  It may accelerate the air in that area and the flow rate might be close / the same.

Good luck!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/5/21 11:15 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Just an fyi, they don't actually keep the same area...  It's strange, but true.

What he said.  To visualize it, imagine crushing it completely flat.  What's the area there?  Nothing.

However, like approximating the sin of theta for very small angles lets you just use theta, for a very small crush distance you're getting close enough to the same area that you can just fudge it.

djhedges
djhedges New Reader
7/6/21 12:10 a.m.

Woah my head hurts now.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/6/21 6:37 a.m.

It's true that the area changes when flattened, but the perimeter length does not. 

Same hose clamps will still work. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
7/15/21 9:07 p.m.

Your first pic isn't working for me....

not sure about the venting from the outside....   the vanes typically pull air from the center and fling it out the outside of the rotor. 

love to see these kind of projects on such a cool car

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iSnTyfTMt2RBIbh2FlcorrfKrr9ykRpMKUYKsjneVo3Nd71y8lvunoufuU708k9h