1 2
TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/10/22 8:08 a.m.

Stainless, copper, carbon steel, cast iron, brass .. can all be welded to each other or repaired using silicon bronze ...

be aware the tensile strength is in the 50K range, it  seems to fuse well even on parts that are hard to clean the backside etc....

YMMV

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
9/10/22 12:12 p.m.

For tig? Or brazing?

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/22 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

TIG brazing!

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/10/22 2:23 p.m.

Yes.  This is so good.

I've repaired broken cast iron with it.

It's also a bit lower temperature, so it's great for delicate stuff, and especially for things I want to make sure are sealed - like AN (JIC, actualy) fittings onto a fuel rail.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/22 3:21 p.m.

I gotta try that.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/22 3:58 p.m.

Does it work on Ti?

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/22 6:15 p.m.

Based on ten minutes of extensive research, I'm going to say it absolutely might work on Ti. 

Best I could find was in reference to vacuum furnace brazing, which does work fine.  I found a video of a Russian guy adding a Ti patch to a beater old SS exhaust.  He was actually mig welding with silicon bronze wire.  It was a bit sketch.

I say try it and report back!

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/12/22 7:02 p.m.

I saw the same video!! If anyone has any scrap titanium I would be happy to see if it works....

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
9/14/22 11:19 a.m.

Its funny...I just ordered some of these rods a couple weeks ago...they are pretty awesome for anything non-structural.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
9/14/22 7:02 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

TIG brazing!

That is so cool! Also, this YouTuber is totally the right guy doing it. Good cadence, good humor, no crap music, speeds up the boring parts. Awesome. Subscribed. 

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/15/22 4:51 p.m.

I did these carbon steel flanges to cast stainless elbows with silicon bronze...

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/15/22 5:01 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

I guess my question is why not just weld these with a stainless filler rod?

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/15/22 10:13 p.m.

I could weld at a lower temperature without burn through and it's resulting "sugar" ... and with less heat input the flanges don't warp much...

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
9/17/22 4:21 p.m.

Silicon bronze is ideal for welding header tubes to the flanges on the exterior joint.  Gives it a little bit of flexibility and strengthens the joint right up. We do it on all our headers as well as turbo manifolds. Everything is full back purged and welded with stainless filler everywhere else, including the head side of the flange. The exterior joint is the only spot that gets silicon bronze. 

We use it for a bunch of other stuff too, like certain situations where seam welding a chassis - similar to how a lot of factory backed motorsports and WRC shells are prepared, and filling/ smoothing seams.  In the right application, its great. 

There's a bunch of it in the bay I'm working on now. Tying everything together and tidying things up at the same time. 

9/17/22 7:28 p.m.

OMG dude your craftsmanship is remarkable.

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
9/17/22 8:16 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Heh. Thanks man. But this E36 M3 isn't anything special. Anybody can do it, I truly mean it. Just takes throwing hours and hours at it.  Never went to school, I just paid attention when the old guys were talking. Made a LOT of scrap in the process and eventually figured out what worked. Now I'm lucky enough to be at the top of the game surrounded by the best, so its easy to keep stepping up the game as everybody pushes everybody else to keep raising the bar. 

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/17/22 9:26 p.m.

Beautiful work Gary!

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/17/22 11:23 p.m.

In reply to GaryC83 :

That's gorgeous work!  What is it?  Can we see overall pics?

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
9/18/22 12:27 a.m.

Headers and chassis are in a 41 Chevy. Won Street Rod of the Year and the Legend Cup and some other E36 M3. 

The engine bay is in a 66 T-Bird I'm working on now. 

If you know how junk the rear end fits... picture that. Now look at this. 

Can't even begin to put into words the work I have into getting it to this point. And I still have a ways to go. 

9/18/22 7:43 a.m.

In reply to GaryC83 :

Ballpark bottom line on the customer's invoice for the 41 Chevy? My completely uneducated guess is $500k.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/18/22 9:27 a.m.

Awesome! Do you have your own project on here somewhere?

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
9/18/22 11:22 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Check your PM'S. 

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
9/18/22 11:26 p.m.

Not really. Lol. I start threads to cover random E36 M3 and then completely neglect them as I get sidetracked with a ton of either actual work or life in general. 

Eventually I'd like to do a GRM $2K project... but when and if that happens I'll do it under exhibition, in all likelihood, as the playing field isn't fair. As I also do sheet metal shaping, paint and body, chassis fab, etc.  

Love what you guys do with that stuff though. I just know how I am.. and once I get rolling I'll throw the budget out the window and get carried away even on a dirt cheap project.  I'd like to experiment with doing some CF work and compressed carbon 3d printed molds and stuff as well.. so I would expect myself to incorporate some of that. Which would completely blow the budget, but its an excuse for me to learn a new skill. If / when I get to that point... I'll start a thread. 

9/19/22 7:50 a.m.
GaryC83 said:

Eventually I'd like to do a GRM $2K project... 

Love what you guys do with that stuff ...

its an excuse for me to learn a new skill. If / when I get to that point... I'll start a thread. 

If there was a pre-subscribe button, I'd be clicking the E36 M3 out of it right now. cool

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/19/22 9:32 a.m.

I agree!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yBDAJT8iUWvmq4oTUCmU9fBRAKyA1cs1wjle8QDtPlOcYtQ1h7CW4BaLxl2nozCN