boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
2/9/20 10:12 p.m.

Love the smooth, precision feel of expensive tools but can't afford to fill your toolbox with top shelf brands? As it turns out, it is possible to get the same feeling out of budget brand tools. All it takes is a dab of something called "damping grease".

Damping greases are lubricants specifically designed to improve the feedback of sliding and rotating parts. They are normally used by manufacturers of microscopes, binoculars, and expensive stereo systems to give their switches and knobs their smooth, buttery feel.

I used a cotton swab to apply a tiny bit of Nyogel damping grease under the adjustment knob of this cheap $20 digital caliper. Now it had the same feel and feedback as my $100 Mitutoyo calipers.

This trick works on a surprising number of household tools: Tactical flashlights, ratcheting wrenches, and household scissors just to name a few. You can also use it to breathe new life into the tired knobs and switches of your project car. Just try not to touch any of it, or you will learn a whole new definition for the phrase "sticky fingers."

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
2/10/20 1:45 p.m.

Nice!

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/10/20 2:26 p.m.

I use that stuff to rebuild rachets.

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
2/10/20 2:59 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

I use that stuff to rebuild rachets.

I do too. 767A is an amazing ratchet lube. I used to use superlube but switched when I found out this lasted much longer.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/20 3:18 p.m.

Sweet.  I'll add some to my next online order.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/10/20 9:32 p.m.

Looks like a 1.76oz tube is about $35 on Amazon right now.  Any other better sources to buy it?  And how much would it take to relube a ratchet?

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
2/10/20 9:39 p.m.

Oveready has 10g tubes for about $15. But you only need a tiny amount to grease a ratchet. Maybe three or four drops about the same size as that you see in the second picture above.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/20 5:47 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Also go light on it, if you put to much if will feel like mush.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
2/20/20 11:08 a.m.

Thanks for the share!  Just ordered some—after the ratchet thread implored me to purchase a vintage Indestro I realized both it and my trio of Craftsman ratchets from the 90s could probably use a little love. Here's hoping it smooths them all out.

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
2/22/20 3:50 p.m.

Video showing how to apply this stuff:

https://youtu.be/m2dP7ebr78w

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EHwkbCmaozxDhOcEpT8pZXbAbJDlbu9IA9VH3OSldYyzcNEgbMf2OCkn8fbxoMYq