jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
11/29/20 8:40 a.m.

Wish I could say i told this guy how to do this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fBahRkDXY1g

To save yourself a few minutes of watching, he takes a strand of copper wire and wraps it, in a single layer, around the shank of the bit, uniformly increasing its diameter.  

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
5/12/21 6:01 p.m.

I use a pin vise.  The drill bit gets mounted in it and then you chuck the pin vise into your drill's chuck.  The smooth part of the pin vise is for the drill chuck to mate to.  I used these way back on carb jets when I was in a jam.  Had a tiny set of numbered drills from #60-#80.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/12/21 7:34 p.m.

Adapter chucks for drill motors or Dremels are relatively cheap on Amazon.

amerson
amerson New Reader
5/28/21 1:20 a.m.

I use pin vise also. Got mine at Sears.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/28/21 1:21 a.m.
fasted58 said:

Adapter chucks for drill motors or Dremels are relatively cheap on Amazon.

Sometimes you just don't have time to wait for amazon, though.

Neat trick.

EriktheAwful
EriktheAwful
8/11/21 10:42 a.m.

Years ago I drilled my own jets for the modded Nikki carb on my RX-7 out of machine screws. I vised the bits and chucked the screws. It worked good, but be sure and get the drill bits straight. If I had to do it now, I'd buy the pin vises.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/18/21 2:41 p.m.

LittleMachineShop.com Sensitive Drill Feed and 1/8" (3 mm) Keyless Drill  Chuck (3790) - - Amazon.com

I swear by these, not at them.   The large knurled part has a bearing in it, you hold that to feed the drill.  Very good feel and no broken bits.  I drilled 60 .050 holes .250 or more deep in A2 tool steel with one.

$30 - $300 depending on quality, the one I used was $40 and another $30 for the chuck.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bfqMp3ECeG5F5UQJAHhz4EbjAU060v7tFNGRyj4yQCfQQgtlSR6cedkfSkxOqPFO