¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
6/24/19 7:54 a.m.

This isn't really an adventure thread, but I want you guys to know about some of the coolest vehicles still in service at the Green Bank Observatory.

The Green Bank Radio Telescope, and the many other radio telescopes surrounding it, are basically satellite dishes ranging from "really big" to "inconceivably huge" and have sensitivity levels to match.  Here's a photo I didn't take because you can't take any electronics near the radio telescopes:  

So what do they use for service vehicles if anything with sparks is bad?  

How about old, mechanical diesels, somehow still operational after all these years:  

These Internationals have either Perkins or Nissan diesels in them.  They're berkeleying awesome.  The telescopes are pretty cool too, and you can pretty much walk right up to them provided you're up for a bit of a hike and willing to leave all of your electronics in your car before walking through the gate.  I want to go back with a film camera and some more time.  I highly recommend the experience if you ever find yourself in the middle of the radio quiet zone in West Virginia.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/19 7:59 a.m.

Sure they are listening to outer space. That thing is clearly pointed at my house to spy on me! Where's my hat?!?!?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/24/19 8:11 a.m.

THat's very cool, I never realized they did that.  I love the hand written note on the dash of the IH. Now, is 3rd gear gone, or is it just against the rules given the speed limit?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
6/24/19 8:20 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

The posted speed limit past the gate was 35mph, so that is most likely a "feature" of that particular truck cheeky

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/25/19 10:36 p.m.

That’s awesome.  I love seeing old rigs like that still in service.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/3/19 10:52 p.m.

that's neat. all of it

slantsix
slantsix New Reader
8/10/19 3:47 p.m.

We were is cass wv last summer with family and the Disco Wagon on vacation..  never made it to Green Bank but maybe next year.

Cool finds!

Greg

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/28/20 5:55 a.m.

Thoes old perkins will last forever. Nissan diesel, not so much. But still super cool. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/28/20 8:12 a.m.

I was there with my folks when I was a teen. Last of the big family road trips before I moved out. Being a teen, I don’t remember anything else we did that trip, but I remember THAT. 

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/11/21 4:24 p.m.

I have always wanted to pay that place a visit.  I'm a lifelong electronics/communications geek....

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/11/21 9:55 p.m.

I found this on the map by accident once before.  Interesting concept of a radio dead zone so that they can monitor with the equipment.  There is an area around the facility where electronics are heavily restricted called the National Radio Quiet Zone.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ssHwTv3wEYXJLZ9AjNez3s959jyu2l0Kp0UDWqx0QwT59wYdglHoO1v5JE42yHNK