1 2 3
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/21 11:13 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

That color scheme on the side actually looks pretty neat. You should recreate it, just better. 

Any idea what broke in the window?

And what brand of duct tape? Im buying some!

Here's a photo of the car from the seller much closer to when the plastidip was applied. I think this photo is from 2015. It does look pretty good. I'm still not sure what path I'm going to take with it. 

The last couple days while writing up this thread I've also been simultaneously working on fixing the window. Once I was at home and a little more relaxed about it, I took the door apart further. We could see pretty immediately that one of the pulleys was not on the cable, but what I didn't realize until taking it further apart at home is that there is a 4th cable, fully hidden behind the metal, and that cable was guitar-string tight. Of course it was holding the window up. I jumpered the motor from the battery and of course the window went down a little. Should have taken Singleslammer's idea on sunday morning, would have at least gotten me home in more mental comfort, oh well. 

But I still needed to fix the pulley, since I think the cable being off was what allowed the extra window travel in the first place. The whole system is a bit finicky, but I was able to de-tension, reseat the cable, re-tension, lube, and then re-adjust all the tracks that I had dissassembled. With the jumpers, I proved to myself that I could roll the window all the way down and all the way back up, and that the window didn't "over-extend" anymore. Just last night I finished putting the whole door back together. The window switch itself doesn't consistently work, so I will need to find a solution there, but for now I'm confident that everything in the door works. Even better, the door actually closes and the top can be latched down. 

The tape (I just checked) is actually TRex tape. I'm certainly impressed. You can tell it sticks well just pulling it off the roll. Thanks to Singleslammer for donating a partial roll to me. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
4/28/21 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

My wipers have slow, slower, off, and off. RainX is your friend. Find a transaxle from a Strada sedan before you take yours apart. Use the Strada gear set in the X1/9 case and you get 22 MPH per 1000 RPM in 5th. Much more relaxing. Still can do 2nd gear starts on level ground too. Do not try to double clutch into 1st on the roll, the reverse idler turns in 1st gear!! There is a magnet inside the case to catch the chipssad  My tach reads stupid high at low speed, but lags to the point that it is accurate at 3800, and low above that. The engine is mechanically safe to 8000, so drive by the feel of the power band.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/28/21 10:59 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

But I really want to get back to try 19 through the Mark Twain National Forest at some point in the future. 

Say when.  We'll make a tour of it!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/29/21 12:37 a.m.

Very jealous.  I need to do a road trip sometime soon.

Also, the car looks really good with the good plastidip.  Maybe a little less black, and extend the red and yellow some, but damn.  Good job for Doug

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/29/21 10:01 a.m.
ClemSparks said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

But I really want to get back to try 19 through the Mark Twain National Forest at some point in the future. 

Say when.  We'll make a tour of it!

Dude that would be awesome. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/29/21 10:08 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Very jealous.  I need to do a road trip sometime soon.

Also, the car looks really good with the good plastidip.  Maybe a little less black, and extend the red and yellow some, but damn.  Good job for Doug

For sure, it did look good. I wish real paint was used and not plasti dip. 

Doug also had a really nice 87 full rotisserie resto x1/9, and he had some 3 piece mesh wheels planned for it that were 13x11 (but it goes to eleven!). Can't wait to see it all done.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qEArTnMscWAplZh1DxTygRAevkOh766X20heaMe4PUHKaSkbg3Bm6QhTJPDfw6sU