1 2 3
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/11/21 10:17 a.m.

Really enjoyed following along on this trip. Photography is terrific. Nice job. 

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/11/21 11:08 a.m.

Maybe more of a pain than it would be worth, but would love to see a map of where you actually traveled.

Great trip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/11/21 11:10 a.m.

In reply to CJ (FS) :

Sara is actually working on an extremely detailed google map, let me see if I can get a screenshot of it or something.

java230
java230 UberDork
10/11/21 11:18 a.m.

Amazing!! Sorry I missed you guys, works sucks :(

But great story and write up! What barge is going for the 10 year trip?!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/11/21 11:41 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

We'll have to catch you next time!

As for what car for the next big trip... I'm sure there are many possible answers, but right now if you have a lead on a cheap mk2 or mk3 Supra and an appropriately sized roof box send it my way.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/11/21 11:56 a.m.

Excellent trip. Been following on IG! 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/11/21 11:59 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to java230 :

As for what car for the next big trip... I'm sure there are many possible answers, but right now if you have a lead on a cheap mk2 or mk3 Supra and an appropriately sized roof box send it my way.

I have an appropriate size roof box for a coupe. You're welcome to borrow it when the time comes, though you will need your own cross bars to mount it

10/11/21 12:00 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

What fuel does the Porsche require?  In some parts of rural Wyoming all we could get was 85 octane, which could be a problem for some stuff.

But yes... next time, faster and more efficient car.  Luckily there is a lot of stuff that checks both those boxes.  cheeky

As it sits I have a chip in it so it requires super. But I have a stock ECU also that just requires regular. I suppose the solution would just be to carry a few bottles of octane booster

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/21 12:02 p.m.

What day did you go thru North Idaho? Funny thing, I saw an old Cadillac driving down highway 2 and thought it was cool and remembered your posts about your Cadillac.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/11/21 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

9/29 or 30?  That would be wild if we actually drove right by you and didn't know it!

10/11/21 12:15 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

9/29 or 30?  That would be wild if we actually drove right by you and didn't know it!

Very strong possibility that it was you. Both those days we were driving highway 2 towards Sandpoint, either in a green k1500 or a gold older Explorer.

I literally started telling my wife about your Cadillac after I saw it too.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/11/21 12:38 p.m.

Looks like a great trip. I enjoyed following on IG.  

Speaking of IG, did you happen to see this guy?

DrScientist (@briansquestionabledecisions) • Instagram photos and videos

He's also from our area of PA.  According to his IG, he's currently in Colorado getting the throttle cable fixed. 

Trips like yours and his have really inspired me to do something like that with my GT6.  With a roof box.  And a bike on top since there's no way I could do a trip like that and not make stops to ride.

10/11/21 12:47 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Looks like a great trip. I enjoyed following on IG.  

Speaking of IG, did you happen to see this guy?

DrScientist (@briansquestionabledecisions) • Instagram photos and videos

He's also from our area of PA.  According to his IG, he's currently in Colorado getting the throttle cable fixed. 

Trips like yours and his have really inspired me to do something like that with my GT6.  With a roof box.  And a bike on top since there's no way I could do a trip like that and not make stops to ride.

Lol. When I had my GT6 I always thought mildly about doing some kind of cross-country trip since my parents did it twice in that car back in the '70s with me as a kid in it. But honestly I coul only tolerate being in that car for about 2 hours at a time, which is why I sold it and got the 924S which is basically the same thing but way more comfortable lol (And with air conditioning)

On the upside you can pretty much fix anything on a GT6 on the side of the road with some zip ties

10/11/21 12:49 p.m.

It sounds like the obvious solution is a Supra, GT6, 924 griup trip. One car designated to carry all of the spare parts for all three lol.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/11/21 12:57 p.m.

Well now I just want a 308, somebody pass the infinite money cheat.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/21 1:04 p.m.

Awesome trip! Thanks for sharing.

kodachrome
kodachrome New Reader
10/11/21 5:10 p.m.

I really love maps.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/11/21 5:35 p.m.

I guess I figured an old Cadillac would be an awesome highway cruiser.  Nice and comfortable and relaxing.....

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/11/21 5:48 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to java230 :

Find a Mk2 Cressida. Even has a good backseat for the pups. 

10/11/21 5:51 p.m.

If that map is right it looks like you went down 90 instead of up by my way.

If so, there's someone else with a caddy just like yours and I will have to track it down lol

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/21 6:45 p.m.

I love the trip.  I need to take another roadtrip soon.  Last one was with Dad from Oxnard, Cali to Tallahassee, Fl.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/11/21 6:47 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

If you're content sticking to 55mph it's excellent- much faster and it gets less comfortable exponentially. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/11/21 11:11 p.m.

If the stars line up as they should, I should be doing a trip to Nova Scotia in the GT6 next year.  It'll be about 2 weeks in the car.  I did a few multi-day trips with it shortly after I bought it; The first ABRR I did back in 2013 along with a week long trip to Watkins Glen a few weeks before that.  I find it reasonably comfortable to drive, although cruise control would be nice as well as A/C.  Both may happen at some point. 

For me, the trick to enjoying a trip in an LBC is to avoid highways like the plague and stick to roads where the fastest you might need to go is 60 mph in short bursts, but rarely on a road with a speed limit of higher than 55.  The cars just aren't built for modern highway traffic. I'd need a month to do the Nonack's trip in one of the Triumphs.

My Spitfire is actually 2 years newer than the Nonack Caddy - although arguably a decade older in technology and refinement.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/21 12:09 a.m.

When you came down Hwy 199 to Redwood National Park, you drove past my house  cheeky

10/12/21 8:47 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

If the stars line up as they should, I should be doing a trip to Nova Scotia in the GT6 next year.  It'll be about 2 weeks in the car.  I did a few multi-day trips with it shortly after I bought it; The first ABRR I did back in 2013 along with a week long trip to Watkins Glen a few weeks before that.  I find it reasonably comfortable to drive, although cruise control would be nice as well as A/C.  Both may happen at some point. 

For me, the trick to enjoying a trip in an LBC is to avoid highways like the plague and stick to roads where the fastest you might need to go is 60 mph in short bursts, but rarely on a road with a speed limit of higher than 55.  The cars just aren't built for modern highway traffic. I'd need a month to do the Nonack's trip in one of the Triumphs.

My Spitfire is actually 2 years newer than the Nonack Caddy - although arguably a decade older in technology and refinement.

Yep I hear you. I will say one thing that made my GT6 feel much more stable at high highway speeds was switching to a staggered wheel setup with the rears pushed out an inch or so. It made the rear end much less twitchy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AldKVnd47PeQCMppz3YMzVRnNoNPoAROKpXJTj1A8yB2hd0CuR8Vu1rMFffxAR59