1 2 3 4 ... 6
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/22 11:35 a.m.

As far as getting the build days rolling, All that would really need to be done is the first person looking to host one to say the date and what tools are equipment they don't have within their shop, that could be useful. 

I'll plan on bringing my standard junkyard frame pack and buckets with me for any build day, is there definitely times where multiple sets of hand tools are useful for multiple sets of hands working. And same goes for cordless impacts, etc. But I also know that there's some specialty stuff that I have that I normally wouldn't plan on bringing along but if it is a need I could pack up as well. 

I just recommend giving two to three weeks lead time on announcing where the initial day(s) would be. 

Centreville isn't all that far in having made the trip recently. It's less than 2 hours each way, I honestly think it was about 90 minutes from the north end of Baltimore. Harrisburg is about the same timeframe from me, in the opposite direction and NOVA and Frederick are as well is different directions. Any of those locations are within my "being up for it radius (also see Philly suburbs, unless we're talking up into Bucks county). 

I feel that it's the sort of thing where there are strength and numbers with regards to getting work done and getting people to show up. You might think 90 minutes each way to work in a garage for a day to help some stuff get accomplished is meh, as there's dead weight in the travel time and packing, but if 3-4 others are also going to be there, some of whom may be an hour and 90 minutes further away on the other direction, Then it's an opportunity to hang out with persons who you otherwise don't often get the chance to see and hang out with. Ideas and stories can be exchanged, all while getting stuff accomplished. It can also serve as an opportunity to exchange or drop off parts to potentially have serviced in other areas save there's a good machine shop that someone lives near or preferred powder coater that someone else lives near, etc. 

1/15/22 11:38 a.m.

I'll add that it's all fun and games until we find out that somebody is a 3D scanning, CAD and 3D printing guru. As then the productive ideas and concepts in addition to the garage productivity will start occuring. 

(My 3D printing is currently limited to my maker space and their hours are closed up pretty tightly right now, where I literally have to send them files to print, then pick up) 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
1/15/22 1:06 p.m.

I suggest first one is at Curtis's house in Harrisburg. Not to work on anything, It just seems like hanging with him for a day would be fun. If Wally comes down, we'd need to make it a weekend so there's enough time for all of the stories. 

1/15/22 1:34 p.m.

Also, my only thoughts regarding protocols or "rules" for the days are simple, it's that the host for the day sets the rules as they're the host. If they have or want a "dry" shop/garage, that's fine, if they request a pizza, 6 pack and 10mm socket be presented prior to entry, that's their call. Etc regarding everything from tools, number of people, use if lifts, jackstands, etc. Basically, whatever the host for the day says, goes. That just keeps it most simple and allows them to take the lead on how and what is getting done for the day. 

Also, it's a good thing that I can't track down the guy on the eastern shore who have the turbo festiva that be does hpde with, as I'd have a stupid idea for a group project for the class. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/22 1:36 p.m.

I think I'm going to get the shop space at Summit Point. Idk if I should get the 600sq ft or 1200 sq ft.

1/15/22 2:52 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

The easy button on that is to ask if anyone that you already know would be interested in subletting 4-600 sq ft at summit if it were to become available. If they still had rallysprints out there, I'd be pm'ing you. 

That being said, there will be MANY weekends where your summit space would be a popular wrenching location option. 

yupididit
1/15/22 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I'm gonna look. The 1200 sq ft is $400 a month 

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/15/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

Well, super short notice, but I'm pulling one together for next Saturday. (1/22)

There will be more and I am happy to post on here, or add whoever to my emails if you like  

This one is actually for my car, tube frame camaro.  I generally like to clear space to get two cars in the shop so we can flex our auto-ADHD muscles. There might be a spec-3 e36 (Ed)or perhaps a 944 (Jamie)joining. 
starts when you get here. 
Ends when you leave. 
I generally flip some burgers for lunch, we listen to some music, we have a beer or two. About this time of year, I start to miss my race mates so it's a nice time to talk shop and share ideas and status. And encourage each other. 

I sent an email out to my circle last night...it goes like this:

On deck is:

• Finish putting the rear end together and torque.
  • Cut the front fiberglass and duct in additional cooling to radiator.
  • Assemble fuel cell, mount.
  • Put new water temp sensor in and reattach the gauge panel
  • Change from 1” brake masters down to ¾”, bleed.
  • Test data acquisition.
  • Smart string alignment. 
  • Put fuel in.

See if it goes.

PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham
PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham UberDork
1/16/22 11:57 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

In. I'll hopefully get the E36 rolling and onto a trailer by then. At the very least I'll bring an engine that needs a head and oil pan added along with a diff that needs to be rebuilt. But hopefully the whole car. 

I won't post the full to-do list though because it's way too long. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/16/22 1:02 p.m.
PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham said:

In reply to jh36 :

In. I'll hopefully get the E36 rolling and onto a trailer by then. At the very least I'll bring an engine that needs a head and oil pan added along with a diff that needs to be rebuilt. But hopefully the whole car. 

I won't post the full to-do list though because it's way too long. 

awesome. We are at 4 for sure, 2 at 50% probability. And I sort of just realized I accidentally hijacked this thread so I will stop the updates!

1/16/22 6:30 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

There's no worry about threadjacking this thread. If it's about the next garage day within the region, it's absolutely what this thread was created with in mind. It's an admittedly clunkly format for it, but the broader reach of having it on here will hopefully get others involved or coming out at some point. 

yupididit
1/16/22 7:35 p.m.

Anyone in the area have any experience doing a custom itb setup on an i6? 

slantsix
slantsix Reader
1/16/22 9:58 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Not yet but that's on my list for one or more of my slant sixes..

Borla efi itb's controlled my ms3.

$till a few years out on getting all the bit$ to turn it into a reality.

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/16/22 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Copy that, and thanks. This should be a pretty relaxed day...no huge time pressure ....yet. 

yupididit
1/17/22 12:55 a.m.

In reply to slantsix :

I want to do it for my m104 190e but I'll def need help! Especially since there's no kit in existence for this engine. 

slantsix
slantsix Reader
1/17/22 10:03 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Likewise..  There is no kit for anything for a on a slant six.  What ECU are you planning on? I only have experience with Megasquirt /Tuner studio But the application theory of tuning is the same for any platform - it just depends on capability of the I/O and user friendliness of the software.

yupididit
1/17/22 10:12 a.m.

In reply to slantsix :

Megasquirt because that's what I'm used to. I've had 3 cars with it. Lets take this journey together lol.

1/17/22 10:25 a.m.

Y'all are dangerous, I have a speedino and set of Gixxer 1000 itbs ready for bad ideas. 

PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham
PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham UberDork
1/17/22 11:01 a.m.

I'd love to learn megasquirt and/or speedino. Whenever that comes to fruition I'm down to help/watch/learn.

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/17/22 12:07 p.m.
PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham said:

I'd love to learn megasquirt and/or speedino. Whenever that comes to fruition I'm down to help/watch/learn.

X2...I am in the watch and learn categories mainly. But I would like to join in. 

slantsix
slantsix Reader
1/17/22 12:30 p.m.

Well 2 of my slant 6's are already MS enabled.

the '79 Volare Axed The Factory 2bbl carb in 2008 and has Ran a batch fired Multipoint since then. MS2 on that one running the coil and EFI.

The Ruster Drag car has DIY AutoTune IGN-1 Coil Packs(6) Running Wasted Spark with a Carb still.. Running MS3 since~2017 or so. Plans to have MS3 run full ign and fueling someday.

I have been buying up Weber DCOE - Slant 6 Manifolds when I can.. Now just need to get the ITB's and Injectors and some More MS3's for my next concoction / project.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/17/22 1:14 p.m.

VCH here in the 21158.  Not looking at doing a challenge car anytime in the near future, but plenty of projects going on with the Rally-X Volvo Amazon and 24HoursofLemons race car.  I should have a garage door on the new shop on Wednesday of this week, which means I'll (finally) be able to heat it!

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/22 1:40 p.m.

I'm in for ITB megasquirt shenanigans! At the moment, I'm in the middle of setting up an MS3 module on a westfield mx5 carrier board to run my 2.5 duratec with jenvey direct to head itb's. Rallyx season opener is march 20, so that's the big deadline.

JH36, I don't think I can make this weekend, but I'm down for a trip out there for a future weekend.

My location is in NE DC, with a small garage and a maxjax lift. We did a build weekend that was fun when Chris N (shruggy thing I don't know how to type), came to pick up my long term challenge build and take it to the 2019 challenge. 

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/17/22 1:40 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Westminster and the outlying areas are beautiful county... Mostly the outlying areas i mean... Which is where you are by the looks of it.

I just went thru there on the 23rd of December picking up a parts car.. Stops at union Bridge and Thru Taneytown before heading up the ridge on MD140/PA 16 back to Waynesboro PA.

Good Luck on that Door Project.

yupididit
1/17/22 2:12 p.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

So you're our guy lol

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z3maOMHYXwj3m8mKe8g1ljG8xKX7L90lG3axpeFhi1VrRztTJDFbF21f654C0w7Q