DRGmotorsports
DRGmotorsports New Reader
6/10/20 10:12 p.m.

Hey everyone, I'm starting to get a little more serious about my motorsport hobby. A little background info on me, I had a 2014 camaro built for the road course being a young guy and doing it all myself I was finally to the point I was ready for a track day, had a seizure at low speed and basically totaled the car. I've missed it dearly, but I'm blessed to be alive and healthy and really the only thing that came of it was I lost my car. I've since gotten a reliable but albeit boring rav4 for a daily. I've used this opportunity to get familiar in karting, and have been basically hooked on it since October. I've been doing rental karts every weekend and also a more competitive rental league once a month. I have goals and aspirations to move into champ car and other amateur endurance series. In your experience what is the best way to network and show people I'm not only serious but very very passionate about motorsport? (Primarily circuit style racing) 

With my camaro I had a pretty decent instagram following of around 10k. I was thinking of going that route as well as getting myself business cards to keep on myself whenever I visit a track or place with potential like minded people cars and coffee etc. I'm by no means a professional but I am serious. I don't want to come across as a D-bag or just some guy with an impossible dream. 

I work in the gym during the week to get better and more fit behind the wheel, and on weekends I Kart for now as I build up some funds to go to a racing school, and after that I'd like to get in touch with a champ car team where I can learn even more. 

thanks for taking the time to read this. Any suggestions? Advice? 

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
6/10/20 11:41 p.m.

See if there is a 24hr of lemons team in your area that needs another team member.  Where are you located?

DRGmotorsports
DRGmotorsports New Reader
6/11/20 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

I'm located near New Orleans and I've been in touch with a few lemons/champ teams. The lemons rules/penalties just don't seem serious enough. Idk I'm sure it's a blast but I've heard some lame things too. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/11/20 1:16 p.m.

In reply to DRGmotorsports :

It has been several years since my last Lemons race but in general it's slightly less serious than Chump/AER or similar- that's not to say that the track time isn't still fun, and that there isn't still serious racing, but yes it feels a bit more like a party where a race happens to have broken out.

I guess I'm confused about your goal- do you want more seat time opportunities?  You say "show people I'm not only serious but very very passionate about motorsport" and the best way to do that is to do more racing and worry less about who knows or cares about it.  If you want to get in with a team, the best advice I can offer is to help them out- show up at workdays and help with the car, or go to the junkyard and pull parts they need, that sort of thing.

If the goal is to do more racing on your own, I'd start hunting for somebody else's old car- depending on your budget, maybe the GRM hivemind here could dig up some ads for cars that might suit you.

If you're looking for sponsors, I can't help you there since I have no real experience with them, although depending on the series/sanctioning body there can be contingency opportunities that you can take advantage of.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GvQMdwh0vJEQ8qQaKFtDriLZILOs5qq1Dd7RkDkiBjl1B9kY4Sfqld51FuC8CfDv