1 2
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/22 2:43 p.m.

Throwing this out there to see if there is any interest.  March 26 is a free day for me (i.e. wife is OOT) and I wanted to see any Central FL/Tampa area GRM'rs wanted to get together. There's plenty to do around here for a shop day AND there are plenty of car projects to work on. If we just want to hang, weather permitting, I've got a big outdoor area, a grill, a pool, and a hot tub. 

LMK if you are interested and what you are up for. The list of things needing to be done around here is large but I am really bad about asking for help. I just love hanging out with fellow gearheads and I don't have many in my life currently.

Here's a list of potential projects that we could wrench on (not saying that we have to do any of this, we can just sit around and talk E36 M3 all day if we want. #noagenda). LMK if you want more info on any of these. I'm actually embarrassed to write this list.

Realistic 1-day projects (expect all cars here to need a carb rebuild):
Shop organization/purge projects. Move E36 M3 around. Sort and organize spare parts hoarde for 7+ different projects. Create burn/sell pile.
Green 1967 Volvo 122 - (In shop) Examine transmission leak in more detail. If not fixable, swap in spare transmission. Work on driver door glass runner/fix cable. Get running/driving. Also rust.
White 1967 Volvo 122 - Drag into shop and try and revive after sitting for ~5 years. Swap in built B20 sitting on engine stand and/or 2 boxes of IPD suspension parts. Also, rust.
1977 Bronco - Push into shop and revive after sitting for ~5 years. Examine transmission fluid leak issue. Also, rust.
1970 Saab 99 - Drag into shop and revive after ~5 years. Explore and assess needs (including fuel tank replacement). Also, rust.
1988 Honda NT650 - (In shop) Uncover and revive. Prep for sale.
Nacra 18sq - Finish tilt trailer project. Move axle, finish brackets. Also, rust.

More involved projects:
1983 Cressida - Move to shop and revive after sitting idle for ~15 years. Assess issues re:parked, clutch, lumpy idle. Also, rust.
1967 Volvo 122 Wagon - Move to shop and revive after sitting for a LONG time. Install drivetrain, wiring, braking system, etc. Also, rust.
1972 Datsun 510 - Move to shop and revive after sitting for a long time. Assess needs. Also, rust.
1980 Mazda GLC (x2) - Drag ex-race car back to shop and most likely strip for parts. Drag good shell to shop and fill full of ex-racecar goodness.
1984 Cressida - Source cheap 1UZFE, mate to R154. Mate drivetrain to chassis. Shred.
1988 RX7 - Swap LS/T56 combo into chassis

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/3/22 5:41 p.m.

I'm in. Have crappy welder, will travel. 

hobiercr
3/3/22 5:56 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I've got a wire feed welder and an Oxy/Acetylene setup. We can figure out if we need any specialty tools when we decide what we're doing.

Mr_Asa
3/3/22 6:40 p.m.

I'm down for the white volvo.  Multiple systems would allow more people to wrench without getting in the way of each other.

That or the Bronco, cause Bronco, but im around Ford stuff all the time.

We can bounce between shops and eventually get everyone's crappy decisions running!

OWAM! One Weekend A Month!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/3/22 10:44 p.m.

And of course, I'm going to be working. Posting to follow this. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/4/22 7:30 a.m.

I can't that weekend (back half of spring break trip) but would love to join. I'd be coming down from Gainesville. I don't know much but I'm eager to learn and hang out!

hobiercr
3/7/22 1:40 p.m.

So, I forgot that I have a commitment in Tampa on the night of the 26th at 7 which means I would have a hard stop at 5pm. How would everyone feel about moving this to April 9 or 16? LMK if one or the other works better for your schedule.

Mr_Asa
3/7/22 2:03 p.m.

No plans i know of.  Sister has a birthday on the 20th so I'm not sure which weekend she will be celebrating. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/22 8:44 p.m.

Personal update. It's not going to affect things for a few months, but starting on June 19th, we're going to be closed on Sundays. It's going to be easier to get to outside activities, although Saturdays will still be a challenge.

hobiercr
3/28/22 12:35 p.m.

Bumping this. Does April 9/16/23 work for anyone?

Mr_Asa
3/28/22 1:01 p.m.

9th and 16th works here.

hobiercr
3/30/22 11:54 a.m.

Let's shoot for the 16th! Someone turns 55 that day and can't think of anything better than to get a project car running with good friends.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/30/22 12:41 p.m.

No promises, but maaaaybe I can show up. Big maybe though.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
3/30/22 9:52 p.m.

I think my Bugeye can use some exercise on the 16th. If the weather is iffy I'll drive the truck which opens up tool transport. If you are leaning toward a certain car and are short any special tools or equipment post your needs.

hobiercr
3/30/22 10:10 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Right now I'm leaning towards the White Amazon. A bit of un-mothballing and then maybe an engine swap depending on timing, etc.  I'm pretty flush on tools for this but if I think of anything I'll let you know. More interested to see the Bugeye!

hobiercr
4/12/22 1:13 p.m.

Ok, we're a couple days out from this. Anyone still up for this?

Mr_Asa
4/12/22 1:52 p.m.

Still down, but also recovering from a spring cold that took out half my office (we have 12 whole people here) so I would fully understand why no one would want me there.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
4/12/22 5:20 p.m.

I've been informed by the wife that I am going to the Mainsail art show downtown.  It won't take all day so I'll check in when I find out what time she wants to go.

I can't argue too much, she let me go wreck one of my cars at Sebring last weekend...

hobiercr
4/13/22 1:01 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Come on by after mainsail. How bad was the wreck?

hobiercr
4/13/22 1:08 p.m.

Please give me a heads up if you are coming. I'm grabbing some food and just want to make sure I get enough.

tooms351
tooms351 Reader
4/13/22 1:45 p.m.

I was at Sebring last weekend, hope that wasn't you at turn 6 Sunday morning...

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
4/13/22 5:04 p.m.

I'm going to try to get the art show done by noon.

@tooms351- No, Turn 16 at the start of happy hour. Hub broke as I turned in, the car slid all the way to the wall digging a trench with the front suspension.  Fiberglass body work damaged heavy, metal under it folded just ahead of the strut tower.  Just a kiss, really. Nothing bent in suspension because there was no wheel sticking out. One more turn and it would have been really ugly...

Go pro footage shows the wheel with the brake rotor still attached roll into the picture about 5 seconds after I stopped.

Here it is in the trailer after I threw a hub on it to get it out at the shop.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/13/22 5:11 p.m.

Cousin visiting from Germany so likely doing some entertaining but I may slip away to stop by if I can.

tooms351
tooms351 Reader
4/13/22 5:43 p.m.

@jgrewe, it's good to hear you're okay! That's the ITS car, I heard someone had lost a wheel out there. Like you said better turn 16 then turn 17! I was flagging at turn five and I think it was your group first time out, some "poor" guy in a GT3, on a cold track and cold tires got on the gas before the drive over bridge and it hooked hard, right in to the cement wall, no tires. Surprisingly it looks like you have more body damage than he did. Good luck getting it back together!

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
4/13/22 6:04 p.m.

In reply to tooms351 :

EP, its on slicks.  Its the first time it has been out in over a year and I had a misfire if I ran it above about 7k rpm. At first I thought it was jetting from being cold out early in the day but now I think it was a fuel supply issue.  I had to do a quick pump change a few days before the event and I don't think the new pumps were up to the job.  I was told I was running 2:40's which would make sense because I couldn't use the last 2000rpm. I can turn 2:30's all day long if it is running right.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s2zZ7L1v0F4CbNKyz3ctt8TvbIep8lO8XmysvE9QoYgp5FHbZhHLJWeAJxOtEk74