Burrito
Burrito Dork
8/15/16 3:03 p.m.

As some of you know, the Bride of Burrito and I picked up a pair of modern Yamaha dual-sport bikes earlier this year. This will be a living thread documenting our travels around the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, Tillamook National Forest, and beyond.

I went with the ubiquitous WR250R/X for myself;

and the vertically-challenged-friendly XT250 for the BoB;

My darling bride is a photography dork, so expect a lot of great shots of the beautiful Pacific Northwest back country.

Mt St Helens

Mt. St. Helen's

As with most things on the internet, expect lots of cell phone shots, too.

I'll keep this thread updated as she sorts through and edits the real pictures.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
8/15/16 8:34 p.m.

They make a dualsport for short people?

This thread both paid for itself and doomed me to a life of dualsport wantitude.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
8/15/16 10:15 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: They make a dualsport for short people? This thread both paid for itself and doomed me to a life of dualsport wantitude.

There's a couple of short person friendly dualsports on the market. The XT250 and CRF230L both have seat heights just under 32" inches. I believe both can be lowered further from there, too.

It seems a lot of short-but-experienced people go the DRZ400SM or WR250X route, since they have slightly lower seat heights due to their 17" wheels. I'm waiting patiently for a 21/18" WRR wheelset for my bike, though. I'm 6'2" and all legs, so I feel a little silly with the little wheels on the WR. I plan on keeping the 17s though, because it would be the next logical step for the wife once she outgrows the XT in a year or two or three.

I really thought I would loathe the XT having grown up on purpose built motocross bikes of various size and shape, but it's like the grown-up version of the XR100 that has been passed around my family since 1985 or so. It feels very light and flickable compared to the WR even though it's only a few pounds lighter.

We very nearly went with a used CRF, but we found a dealership liquidating 2015 XTs for pennys more than what we were going pay for the used Honda.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8MqAR07pm0qDMjvz7sV6J5pwfLJVKpr6FlQkzc6282E9o9F2QF2OppfVnLOAibUM