1 2
darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
1/11/23 4:40 p.m.

I'm thinking of buying something extra utilitarian that can serve as both a backup daily and tow rig, and something I can let me kid(s) drive if/when needed.  As such, I really need something commonly available (for junkyard parts sourcing), ideally less than 20 years old, with high reliability, cheap and easy to repair/maintain, capable of towing 5k+ (think race car and trailer), and is CHEAP, like under $3500 ($2500 is even better).  It will also need to have a/c, ideally with 4+ seats, and a fairly useable bed/cargo area.  I'm open to trucks, SUVs, and large sedans.  What it doesn't need to be is nice, low mileage, pretty, or particularly fuel efficient. Function>form.

My current front runner is probably an early 2000s Sequoia.  Any other suggestions?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/11/23 4:51 p.m.

There are $3500 sequoia?! WHERE?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/11/23 4:51 p.m.

I am thinking that the nicest Ford Expedition that you can find in your budget. You won't get anything else that comes to mind for similar money. Trucks are all completely out of budget. GM Suvs are borderline due to the LS swap crowd. Maybe a Nissan titan/Armada but doubt it. 

wae
wae PowerDork
1/11/23 5:55 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

A friend just sold his for around $2k.  300k miles and in three or four places the frame was almost rusted all the way through, though.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/11/23 5:56 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Ah rusted ones!  Guy who has 9-10 AirBnB next to my farm, has one, Sr5, over 300K miles. Last year I asked if he sells, he says at least 7K.  Thus I was surprised 2-3K could buy them.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
1/11/23 6:01 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Not sure where you're located, but 2002-2004 Sequoias show up on Marketplace in the $$2500-$4k range fairly regularly here in Florida.  Sure, they're all 250k+ miles and might need some maintenance/basic repairs, but they're running and driving.  Mileage especially doesn't bother me on the Sequoia because I've got a couple friends that have 400k on theirs. I just did a search and found 12 non-scam listings, all under $4k.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
1/11/23 6:02 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

In reply to wae :

Ah rusted ones!  Guy who has 9-10 AirBnB next to my farm, has one, Sr5, over 300K miles. Last year I asked if he sells, he says at least 7K.  Thus I was surprised 2-3K could buy them.

Rust is less of an issue here in Florida generally.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
1/11/23 6:04 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

I'll add Expeditions to my list. Thanks.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/11/23 6:10 p.m.
darkbuddha said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Not sure where you're located, but 2002-2004 Sequoias show up on Marketplace in the $$2500-$4k range fairly regularly here in Florida.  Sure, they're all 250k+ miles and might need some maintenance/basic repairs, but they're running and driving.  Mileage especially doesn't bother me on the Sequoia because I've got a couple friends that have 400k on theirs. I just did a search and found 12 non-scam listings, all under $4k.

I have owned many Toyotas with over 400K and one Land Cruiser with 630K miles. Similar to you, mileage doesn't scare me. I may have to move to FL becaues no cheap sequoias here.

Here is whats local to me

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
1/11/23 10:20 p.m.

Meanwhile in Florida:

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/11/23 11:39 p.m.

Yeah, just buy a nice sequoia. It will last longer than anything else. I didn't realize those were so cheap down there. That's crazy.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/11/23 11:40 p.m.

Lets make a trip to FL and get 2 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/11/23 11:49 p.m.

I have to go back to watching Sequoias again. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/12/23 8:18 a.m.

If I want already on swmbo E36 M3 list for buying the Samurai, that would be on my mind. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/12/23 8:59 a.m.

In reply to darkbuddha :

Go with Sequoia if you can find one.  

What everyone wants in trucks are:

• Back seat
  • 4wd
  • Big engine

When you are shopping what everyone wants, thats when the price goes up crazy. If you could go with a Single cab, 2wd, maybe V6 (but still maybe V8) that's when you'll find the slower selling stuff and maybe a good deal. Focus less on what they are asking and focus more on how long it's been for sale. 

Any Big 3, full size, single cab, 2wd pick up should be possible in your price range. All will be capable of your 5k# target.  All will be common for parts and have well defined problems/solutions. 

Sample: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/918366689522775/?mibextid=dXMIcH

The 5.4 is not the most love engine but it will slowly tow anything you throw at it (and get bad mpg doing it)

I have nearly the same truck, The Gov't Mule and though it is no good at "car things" ( like back seat) it is exceptional at doing "truck things."

Nice touch. The one above has cruise control and power windows that I don't have. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/12/23 9:11 a.m.

After reading this thread, I got interested in Sequoias, but looked up fuel economy. OOF that's some bad MPGs.

I wonder how many of the cheap ones in Florida are 2wd? Most of the cheap ones around here are. 4wd adds a good bit to the price.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/12/23 10:29 a.m.

I have a lead on a Samurai - almost pulled the trigger last week, owner went out of town. Triple white like the one on BaT, 1 owner, mint. I am going to go drive it when he is back,but I fear the highway behaviour of it, won't suit my needs :(

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim Reader
1/12/23 10:47 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Toyota UZ V8 and Ford Mod 4.6/5.4 are very similar in some respects. They both are very durable, understressed and inefficient. 

If the OP is not concerned about MPG, both engines are good choices.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/12/23 11:09 a.m.

Just go find the best Astro $3500 will buy.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
1/12/23 11:10 a.m.
dculberson said:

After reading this thread, I got interested in Sequoias, but looked up fuel economy. OOF that's some bad MPGs.

I wonder how many of the cheap ones in Florida are 2wd? Most of the cheap ones around here are. 4wd adds a good bit to the price.

4wd SUVs basically don't exist in Florida if a 2wd variant was offered. When I've looked, it's about a 20:1 ratio. 

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
1/12/23 12:43 p.m.
dculberson said:

Most are 2wd, which is fine by me for Florida, and really, 4wd would be mostly pointless for everything I'd be doing.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/12/23 1:40 p.m.

I've had mine at $3,500 on FB for about a week. Lots of sub $3k offers as a first message. Still, looking at the market around Oklahoma, my price looks good. Waiting for Tax return buyers unless anyone here is interested in a GRM Member discount:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/so-you-made-me-get-a-sequoia/170773/page1/

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/12/23 3:20 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

That's a great deal. Too bad you're 820 miles from me!

I would want 4wd for boat retreival and winter traction. Obviously the winter thing doesn't apply in FL but the boat thing does even more so!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/12/23 4:19 p.m.

I mean, thats close to what KBB says my 2007 Expedition is worth and I will be selling it whenever my Maverick order is filled...  (probably not until end of summer at least and I'm all the way up in MD)

Tow capacity of 9000lbs (with weight dist hitch), but I do only get 16.5mpg out of it. 

Its towed my 3000lb enclosed trailer that doesnt have trailer brakes really well, I cant really complain, I just want to move to something smaller, more efficient, and newer so I am not worrying about it eventually breaking (not that it has).

tjhannink
tjhannink New Reader
1/14/23 11:49 a.m.

I ended up with a 2008 Chrysler Aspen.

I found a low mileage 4-wheel drive Hemi Aspen for $8k but there are lots of 2WD versions out there for $2-6k depending on mileage and condition.

A 2-wheel drive Hemi model will tow 8,900-lbs; mine will tow 8,700-lbs.

Unloaded, mine will get 18-mpg highway 13-mpg city; I average 14-15 around town.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gru26nEVu2uNaf2hDkhljzcxJ2Hd7l58tgR2nXKVQSQyL3qOBXwjojZgtUQ1fCWK