Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
3/4/17 8:07 p.m.

I'm picking up my "new" Ranger 5 speed Sunday and , boy, am I excited! Left my Civic on Hilton Head during Hurricane Mathew where it was destroyed by a fallen live oak. Been bicycling for the past 5 months and am anxious to rejoin society again.

A lot of effort and money down the tubes - heartbreaking  photo Civic EP3 2004 totaled.jpg

So, will start from near D.C. and will head back on 81 over the mountains to Knoxville, maybe skip Chatanooga and Birmingham this time and cross back east through the Asheville area, then maybe up to N.C. and back through Greenville and north of Atlanta. But there's a lot of flexibility here. Then back to Hilton Head.

Thinking of camping a few nights (I hate motels) so campground suggestions would be great.

The reason for the trip is to check out areas to potentially live and purchase existing rentable/leasable real estate such as an apartment building, condos, public storage (my preference so far) or other existing enterprise which I would then manage.

I can actually locate anywhere in the country but thought this would be a good start. I want a pretty area with great driving roads in decent shape and curvy. Probably hills over mountains, not sure. Not in a big city but in a growing community with positive future growth. This area includes Barber Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta, and VIR but being close to them is not essential(but how cool would it be to have a storage facility near a track!).

I need to post a topic soon about this new life direction but this is a start for now.

Thanks for reading and any feedback is much appreciated.

ImSoTired
ImSoTired New Reader
3/5/17 8:20 p.m.

While I'm no investment expert - so not much use there - just wanted to say 1) That image is heartbreaking. That must have been awful! and 2) Congrats on the new set of wheels! Can't imagine how it must feel/ Looking forward to following this journal and seeing where the road takes you ;-)

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
3/6/17 8:25 p.m.

Thanks, ImSoTired. This is really just a road trip to rule out/rule in some areas. I'll do another thread about business another time.

Quick check in. The seller met me at the airport and we made the deal in a parking lot. The seller, recently a widow, sold me her husband's Ranger. She was having a really rough time seeing the truck go and was even going to a grief meeting right after the sale. Lots of tears. Her husband was an Army major so I had ordered a couple of gold oak leaf stickers before flying out and stuck them to the ranger badges on each side and told her I would call the truck Major Ranger. She cried some more but really loved the idea, as did the son. Lots of feel good all around.

Spent today hanging around Lexington. Beautiful Civil War architecture and home to VMI and Washington and Lee University. Two hours in the Va. DMV getting a transit tag. Good for three days so bought two for six concurrent days. Also picked up five quarts of full synthetic and a K&N filter (on sale for $29!) and had a shop change it out. Should I change the timing belt with 32,000 miles since it's a 2004?

Sorry, no pics yet but will take some from now on. I'm in Roanoke tonight and would like to reach Knoxville tomorrow.

smokindav
smokindav Reader
3/6/17 10:27 p.m.

A Ford Ranger truck?

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/8/17 8:13 p.m.

leaving Knoxville,head towards dollywood then down towards Maggie Vally Pick up the Dragons tail heading south come out near Blairsville and head for Helen or go towards Suches, or the Tail to Murphy and through Blue ridge pick up Hwy. 60 heading to Suches then on to Dalonagha check out the new track there and on to 372 off 400 cross the lake on to Oakwood and on to road Atl. and I 85 for Hilton head. lots of real estate Op's around the new Motor sports park at Dawsonville/Dalonegha.(Not spelled right.)

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
3/10/17 5:38 a.m.

Oh man, I wish I had known that you were going to go wait in line for a trip permit. VA DMV sells those online.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/10/17 6:36 a.m.

Sounds like a cool trip. Any experience driving in the mountains in ice and snow? They're talking 6+ inches over the Carolina mountains this weekend.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
3/10/17 6:51 p.m.

Sounds like a great trip! When do we get to see pics of the new ride?!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MSnSbRwtQDQcOg60eGYEGfDEEEAAgtMfwHtgJLfG267wErVOb4sN6GjBSjezfhWB