More fast tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS heading to U.S. market

David S.
By David S. Wallens
Apr 16, 2022 | tires, Bridgestone, 200tw

Photography Courtesy Bridgestone

Go back just a few short years, and the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R claimed a lot of wins, a lot of track records, a lot of championships. Then production of this 200tw champ came to an end.

Bridgestone just announced that its successor, the Potenza RE-71RS, is coming our way. Like the previous model, the Potenza RE-71RS is aimed at the autocross, track day and endurance racing crowd.

[Ultimate track tire guide | 200tw, 100tw, street-legal track and R-comps]

Featuring the latest in advanced performance tire technology, the new Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS is an average of 0.6 seconds faster per lap around Japan’s world-famous Tsukuba Circuit than the previous generation Potenza RE-71R,” the release states.

Improvements over the Potenza RE-71R include, the release continues, a new high-grip tread compound; a 5% better wear rate; and low-angle groves for better steering feel and increased grip.

[200-Treadwear Tire Test | Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 vs. the Outgoing Bridgestone RE-71R]

Bridgestone says that 38 sizes are heading to the U.S. and Canadian markets. Rim diameters will range from 15 to 20 inches with fitments covering popular cars: Mazda Miata, Ford Mustang, BMW 3 Series, Subaru BRZ and Porsche Cayman.

When? According to the release: “Bridgestone is announcing initial availability in April 2022, with the remaining sizes to be available at all its authorized retailers in the U.S. and Canada in the first half of 2022.”

[200tw Tire Test: Valino and Yokohama Take on Favorites From Hankook, Maxxis, Bridgestone and BFGoodrich]

GRM test to come soon.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more tires, Bridgestone and 200tw news.
Comments
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/22 9:29 a.m.

David, when you said you had big news about tires, you weren't kidding.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
4/14/22 9:31 a.m.

So excited to finally see these come out. Big fan of the Re71R, hoping they manage to keep the character of the previous gen AND more grip.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/14/22 10:03 a.m.

My usual question: will it come in 245/40R15?

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/14/22 10:07 a.m.
NickD said:

My usual question: will it come in 245/40R15?

If it doesnt they miss a very large market right now. Almost every Miata friend i have has gone to or is going to 15x9 and 245's.

4/14/22 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, that's big news.

Hope to have size info soon. Plus we have a test in the works. More to come soon.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/14/22 10:19 a.m.
kevinatfms said:
NickD said:

My usual question: will it come in 245/40R15?

I imagine the creation of the SCCA Xtreme Street classes is helping drive that demand. Before, if you needed 245s, you were already in Street Prepared or Street Mod from boost or an engine swap, so you might as well run 275 Hoosiers. But now XS gives a reason to run 245-width 200tw tires. Sadly, the 275/35R15 Maxxis 200tw tires never materialized.

dps214
dps214 Dork
4/14/22 10:30 a.m.
NickD said:

My usual question: will it come in 245/40R15?

No. 205/50 and 225/50 only.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/14/22 10:34 a.m.
dps214 said:
NickD said:

My usual question: will it come in 245/40R15?

No. 205/50 and 225/50 only.

Damn. Well, the fine Taiwanese ladies and gentlemen at Nankang Rubber Tire Corp., Ltd will continue to get my money then.

dps214
dps214 Dork
4/14/22 10:35 a.m.

Also at least as of now nothing wider than a 295. Guess they're really not interested in making money.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/22 10:36 a.m.

Please say there will be a 13!!!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/22 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

lol

chrishobo
chrishobo
4/14/22 10:37 a.m.

Another comment looking for 245/40zr15 just in case b-stone is looking…

albino09

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/22 10:57 a.m.
NickD said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

That's even more wishful than my 245/40R15

C'mon! They'd sell at least 4.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Make that 8!

aw614
aw614 Reader
4/14/22 12:55 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Please say there will be a 13!!!

Japan gets 13s and 14s lol

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/14/22 1:03 p.m.
aw614 said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Please say there will be a 13!!!

Japan gets 13s and 14s lol

Havent they had this tire for a year or so at this point?

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/22 1:11 p.m.

Ugh, thanks for waiting until after I bought something else.

blacksheep
blacksheep New Reader
4/14/22 1:28 p.m.

Glad to hear the RSs are finally coming, I love my RE71Rs!

That being said, I still miss the RE-11As. I'd gladly give up some ultimate dry grip in exchange for the RE-11A's smooth breakaway & recovery, and unbelievable wet weather performance.

They were probably my favorite tires of all time for street / track days & DE. There must still be a market for something like that? I'd buy a set in a heartbeat

dps214
dps214 Dork
4/14/22 1:38 p.m.

Wet performance is a bit hit or miss but there are absolutely 200TWs out there that trade a tiny bit of grip in exchange for good breakaway. One of them has existed for almost as long as the RE71R even.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/14/22 1:50 p.m.

And here are the sizes for the new tire:

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
4/14/22 2:08 p.m.

In reply to aw614 :

Time to OVERNIGHT FROM JAPAN!

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/14/22 2:23 p.m.

So, aside from checking Tire Rack every day, is there a way to know as soon as I can order at set of 205-50-15? I've been using the RE71R for years, bought a "new" set on close out last year but was thinking I'd have to buy something else for this season. I have enough life left in the old ones to handle my first couple of events.

79rex
79rex HalfDork
4/14/22 2:31 p.m.

no 245-15 makes me a sad panda

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
4/14/22 3:58 p.m.
dps214 said:

Agreed. They have the "street sizes" for a C5; 265/35-18, 275/35-18 and 295/35-18, but missing the all important 315/30-18 size.  Oh well, sticking with the Yoko A052 for now.

te72
te72 Reader
4/14/22 10:24 p.m.
albino09 said:

275/40/17 plz

Hate to say it but that's kinda a dead size anymore, at least outside of things like Hoosier and R888/R. (EDIT: Another poster mentioned the RT660 Falken, didn't know they had the 275/40/17 in that tire. Probably the first 200tw tire in that size since the Toyo R1R!) I've run those on the Supra for years, but the next set of wheels are gonna have to be 18's because of tire availability.

I'd also be all over some 245 or 275 15's, for the Exocet. =)

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/22 11:40 p.m.
deaconblue said:
dps214 said:

Yeah, they're missing the premium wide size in every diameter.  No 245 in 15", no 275 in 17", and no 315 in 18".  Bridgestone seems to have a blindspot for this.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/22 11:46 p.m.
te72 said:

R1R, RT615K+, RT660, Conti ECS.  Also things like NT01s, RA1s, R888Rs, and RRs.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/22 11:50 p.m.
NickD said:
dps214 said:
NickD said:

My usual question: will it come in 245/40R15?

No. 205/50 and 225/50 only.

The maxxis v2 is pretty damn good from what I hear.  Similar wear to rs4 and a bit more grip.

mrblah
mrblah New Reader
4/15/22 11:23 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

isn't the RS4 faster than the maxxis with better wear?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/22 11:43 a.m.

245/40-17. Yes.

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
4/15/22 4:30 p.m.

Glad to see them come out with the new one.  Though I it appears to only be "this side out" when mounted (like the RE-11).  I always like the RE-71R because it was directional so you could mount it both ways so you had a fresh outside shoulder & could get more even wear across the tread face.  Especially running a Street class car where negative camber is limited.  Though I did buy a few extra sets of the outgoing tire so I can run a few more years before I really need to worry about it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/15/22 5:14 p.m.
mrblah said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

isn't the RS4 faster than the maxxis with better wear?

The newer maxxis v2 have been faster on a lot of cars in a road race situation.  Not quite as good on wear.

The champcar national champ last year was on maxxis for many of their wins.

dps214
dps214 Dork
4/15/22 7:15 p.m.
Ozzy said:

I suppose we don't know for sure on these, but so far all the inside/outside 200tws have been fine to flip, they just behave slightly differently with the big tread blocks on the inside. If you're happy running on five year old re71r, you probably won't be able to tell the difference from flipping these.

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
4/16/22 12:49 a.m.

What's the likelihood of these even being available at launch? Every tire in America is sold out unless it's a 400+TW.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
4/16/22 11:08 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Please say there will be a 13!!!

Lol 13" pickings are slim.  Demon tweaks carries the beat selection but you have to deal with shipping.  Just got some fresh purple crack mounted up for rabbit.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/16/22 12:17 p.m.
Definitely gone now said:

Hankook rs4 are available from Hankook USA.  Maxxis are available too.  Just bought both in the past 2 weeks.

Ysmv...   (size)

te72
te72 Reader
4/16/22 4:44 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
te72 said:

R1R, RT615K+, RT660, Conti ECS.  Also things like NT01s, RA1s, R888Rs, and RRs.

Of those, only the R1R and the Conti ECS are what I'd call street friendly. I know the R1R is an older tire (nothing wrong with that), but I have no experience with the ECS. Nice to have options, sure, but I'll still be going 18's for the Supra on the next set of wheels. Kinda hard to road trip on R888R's without losing your mind, even though they are phenomenal to drive* on.

*on perfectly smooth, clear day roads, without so much as a sneeze on the pavement.

I realize that wider 17's aren't really "in" anymore, and that's unfortunate. Those of us with older cars get left with fewer and fewer options for tires every year it seems. I wish Tire Rack would still display tires that come in the size you want, even if they're out of stock. It would be nice to have the info.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/17/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

The ECS doesn't have the grip of a 200tw, but I've been DD-ing on them for the last few summers and have been very happy.  Dry grip is quite good.  Wet grip is downright incredible.  They basically just don't hydroplane either.  Wear life is ok, but not great (on the E38 rears went about 15k, fronts about 20k).  On good, smooth pavement, they're basically silent.  But on rougher, older pavement they're a bit loud.  They tramline some, but not as badly as the stiffer, stickier stuff does.

In general, I'd give them a big thumbs up.  That said, I'd probably run the PS4S if I could get them in a 275/40R18 (could go to 285/40 in the rear, but that drives the price up even more).  Everyone who's run both tires says the ECS is better in the wet, but the PS4S has more dry grip, is a more refined tire to drive, and lasts a bit longer.

te72
te72 Reader
4/17/22 1:45 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

I was right in thinking the ECS is a reasonable competitor to the PS4S then. We're going with the Michelin on my wife's Supra for the next set of tires, it's a fair weather car (winter is about 9 months long here, unfortunately) but I'd like something we can road trip on without worrying about the weather we tend to get on our way back from Vegas. Driving in light snow on NT05's and RE71R is NOT fun.

Her car has 18's, mine still has a set of 17x9.5 RPF1, perhaps if I decide to put another set of tires on those and use the RPF1 for road tripping, the ECS will get the nod. I always did like using that car as a daily, but she needs a bit of sorting before it's ready for that.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/17/22 2:01 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

None of the summer only tires are any bit usable in even a dusting of snow or once it drops below freezing.  The ECS are ok down to about freezing (not particularly sketchy before they warm up a bit, even if it's wet).  But trying to drive in any kind of snow with them would be a terrible idea.

te72
te72 Reader
4/18/22 1:42 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Oh I'm well aware that it's a terrible idea, that's part of why we dared not stop. I was genuinely nervous that the tires would lose their temperature and it would be even worse. Fortunately we made it home safely, but speeds were WAY down from normal. Not something we wanted to do, but winter weather can be unpredictable here from September through July. =P

I've had the fun of driving on bald drag radials in the *lightest* dusting of snow once. What was normally a 10 minute drive took every bit of half an hour if not longer. You learn a lot about throttle control though...

4/18/22 9:54 a.m.

Tire Rack now has the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS listed on its site.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/18/22 9:58 a.m.

Excellent timing.

Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
4/18/22 10:59 a.m.

Crap, they never make them big enough for my car. Would be nice to have more options.

dps214
dps214 Dork
4/21/22 8:56 a.m.

Tire rack initial testing compared to the re71r only is out. They seem kind of appealing to me, in a way that anyone hoping for them to be re71r 2.0 is going to be at least a little disappointed. Basically slightly faster but more vague and with smoother breakaway and recovery. Even faster in the wet but feel is even worse. To me it sounds like a rt660 with better wet performance. We'll have to wait for their full test and other people's real world testing to see how they measure up to the relevant 200tws.

Edit: another positive, the fact that they're fast on the tire rack test bmw is a good sign that they're happy on heavy, camber challenged cars.

4/21/22 9:03 a.m.

Yep, here's the link to Tire Rack's initial test

And tires for our test have been ordered.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/21/22 10:49 a.m.
mrblah said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

isn't the RS4 faster than the maxxis with better wear?

The Maxxis V2 is much better than the V1 but it just doesn't have the longevity that the RS-4 has. On a FWD car the V2 has great turn in but mid-apex it loses a lot of grip and confidence. Throw wet conditions into that and it makes exiting a turn a fun experience.

The RS-4 might have slightly less grip than the Maxxis but it will last forever on most tracks.

We just ran the last race* at PBIR we had used Maxxis on the rear of our Accord. They had 10 hours on teh rear of the car at Daytona and were completely shredded after 4 hours at PBIR. The used RS-4s we had on the front of the car lasted until our shift linkage decided to delete itself. We ran two different compounds to just get rid of old tires because PBIR is a tire shredding factory.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/22 11:50 a.m.
84FSP said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Please say there will be a 13!!!

Um, just checked their site. Thanks!!! Do they ship tires to USA?

freescopesdad
freescopesdad New Reader
4/23/22 11:27 a.m.

No longer on the TireRack website as of Saturday AM. Austin stated in chat session that they have no plans to carry them, which seems quite odd.

4/25/22 1:03 p.m.

I have spoken to the Bothans! (Okay, really, it’s a friend at Tire Rack who knows all.)

Have no fear, Tire Rack will carry the Bridgestone RE-71RS. A computer glitch pulled the listing from the site, but all should be fixed very soon.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/22 2:00 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

There's an event the first week of June that I'm looking forward to.

4/26/22 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Fingers crossed.

4/26/22 6:21 p.m.

Oh, and the RE-71RS is back on the Tire Rack's site

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/27/22 5:36 p.m.

Tire Rack had said available 6/1 but they emailed me a shipping confirmation today!

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell Reader
4/27/22 10:11 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
84FSP said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Please say there will be a 13!!!

Um, just checked their site. Thanks!!! Do they ship tires to USA?

Apparently not online but perhaps arrangements could be made if you contact them $$$

I just tried a mock order and it was a no go.

On a brighter note, they still offer a cool paper catalog, ordered a few things from them last year and  got this in the mail a couple of  months ago...

badair
badair
5/2/22 10:44 a.m.

Tire Rack rep tells me they are sold out of 225/45/17 (despite what the website says). I take it the new RE had a good debut this weekend?

With Yok A052 also sold out for months, I guess I picked the wrong year to get serious about autocross.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
5/5/22 8:35 a.m.

Tire Rack has some good rebates on these now. They won't ship until June 6th but I went ahead and ordered them so I guess we will see how they go. I was going to just order the rt660 but they are on backorder for my size and cost more without the rebates.

In reply to captainawesome :

Yeah the rebates brought my set of 4 to under 150 per a tire.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
5/5/22 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I didn't check for other sizes but assume yours won't be shipped until early June as well?

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/22 11:53 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

estimated arrival is 6/2/22

5/6/22 11:35 a.m.

And, FWIW, we've had tire availability issues in the before times, too. The reality is that these tire companies make a lot of units for F150s and Camrys as well.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/22 11:46 a.m.

I'm close to choosing my autocross tires for the summer. I've been running the Rival 1.5 in the 225/45-15 size on my six inch wheels. 99 Miata sport, E Street.
The pluses with the rivals have included excellent lateral grip, and excellent heat tolerance (a big factor here in Florida in the summer). The old RE-71 had to be cooled by spraying them after every dry course run.

Still, I'm tempted to get an order in for a set of the new Bridgestones. Since their marketing material says they're more of a track oriented tire, I'm hoping they'll manage heat better than the old ones.

I like not having to spray my tires between runs. The longitudinal grip sounds very appealing as well. Threshold braking with rivals is tricky with my non-ABS car.

I'm thinking I'll take advantage of the sale prices and order a set for June delivery.

Russco68
Russco68 GRM+ Member
5/9/22 12:01 a.m.

We have had these in Australia for a little while now. The RE71RS are a step up on anything else in the 200TW range including A052. In my Evo X (mild aero + proper camber/suspension setup), lap times dropped from a 58.0 (A052) to a 57.4 (RS), other competitors also had a similar drop in lap times. Compared to the A052 the RS has a stiffer sidewall and is much more responsive to steering inputs, better under brakes, similar high speed lateral grip to the A052. I get up to 3 hot laps out of the RS whereas the A052 dropped off much quicker due to heat (usually 1 good lap in hot weather).  The new RE71RS are a completely different animal to the RE71R, they are quicker in every aspect and really shine in heavier cars.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/22 1:09 a.m.

In reply to Russco68 :

Thanks for the personal experience with the new tires. I'm going to order mine tomorrow.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/22 11:42 a.m.

I'm in the process of ordering the RE-71rs tires from Tire Rack. Their webpage for the tire shows that Bridgestone is offering a $90 rebate. When placing the order, I was told that the rebate may not happen.

I have confirmed on a call to Bridgestone/Firestone that the transaction must be completed by May 31. The ship date is June 1st, making this ineligible for the rebate.

I'm posting this here, and will also share it in a new thread with a specific title.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/29/22 6:59 p.m.

Why are there no Miata sizes?  Seriously, who puts 205/50 Extreme Performance Summer tires on their Miata as track/autocross tires? Isn't that the target market for this tire?  The only other 15" option is the 225/50 - too tall.  225/45 would be fine but that's not available.  Looks like another set of Falken 660s for me.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/22 8:23 p.m.

In reply to jwagner (Forum Supporter) :

I agree with you that a 225/45-15 would be preferable for a Miata, but the previous version of this tire didn't come in that size either. Anyone with 15 inch wheels on an NA or NB that was using Bridgestones was using the 205-50.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/29/22 8:33 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to jwagner (Forum Supporter) :

Then the question becomes which would be faster on track.  I'm betting the 225/45 would be better than a 205/50 and handle heat better because of the additional tire surface.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/22 9:10 p.m.
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to jwagner (Forum Supporter) :

That truly is the question. The original version required cooling between runs, at least on hot days. What I've read about the new ones (from Japan and Australia) is that they are pretty heat tolerant.  Since Bridgestone's stated intention was to build an effective track tire, I'm hoping they'll prove to be heat tolerant.

My backup plan if they can't handle the heat is to store them until fall, and buy another set of 225/45-15 Rivals for the summer.

5/29/22 9:14 p.m.

Tire Rack doesn't have tread widths published for all of the sizes for the Bridgestone RE-71RS, but the 225/45R15's section width is 0.8-inch wider than the 205/50R15. That's quite a bit. Both sizes are listed at 20 pounds.

Our testing has regularly showed that the wider tire is faster in an autocross/track setting.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/22 10:55 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Do you have some sort of inside information on 225/45-15 availability? Bridgestone's website only shows a 195/50 and 205/50.

From tire rack:

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/22 11:31 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

IIRC 949 racing tested some wide tires (225s or 245s or something like that) on a stock-ish power Miata at a big/fast track (I think it was Willow Springs) and discovered it went slower with the wider tires due to more drag.

But yes, for autox speeds you're going want to stuff as much tire under the car as you can.

5/29/22 11:35 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

And also depends on the wheel width. And clearance. As usual, the answer lies in some A/B testing...

Miata26
Miata26
6/1/22 1:04 p.m.

AAAGH! Now have to decide between 205/50-15 RE71RS and 225 or 245 Falken RT-660 to replace my 225 BFG's. The BFGs are great on the track and good on hot autocross days, but challenging on cool & wet days (which we seem to be having a lot of lately). Mild CSP prep Miata with 15x8s, tracked 3-4 times / year and autocrossed about the same.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/22 1:18 p.m.

245s are going to be too much of a squeezed fit on a 15x8 so you can rule that out, 205 or 225-wide tires can work. Everyone who isn't on some kind of Michelin Pilot Sport tire is going to be disadvantaged on cool & wet days, so you might as well go with a higher-temperature setup that will work well when most other tires are, and will stand up to track use.

Kenneth Howell
Kenneth Howell
6/2/22 11:25 a.m.

Has anyone seen any more info about these tires? I'm ready to buy a new set coming off the re71's. Very big debate between the new RS or the yokes. Quite a big price difference too in the size i need. Hate to buy the rs's and they not be at least equal to the yokes. Although any i buy will be much better than my old re71's. Decisions decisions

6/2/22 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Kenneth Howell :

We're still waiting on a set of RE-71Rs test. Very, very soon, we're told.

Kenneth Howell
Kenneth Howell New Reader
6/2/22 1:12 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

What's your gut feeling on them?

6/2/22 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Kenneth Howell :

Regarding performance or availability?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/22 1:29 p.m.

They're supposed to be landing at the warehouses this week. I'm not usually an early adopter, but I have a set on order. E Street Miata in central Florida, so heat tolerance is going to be important.

dps214
dps214 Dork
6/2/22 1:35 p.m.

Better than yoks is going to be a tall order but so far all indications are that it's at least in the ballpark with the other top 200TWs and almost certainly isn't a *bad* choice especially if they're cheaper than some of the other options. At this point it's probably as much a matter of which tire suits your car/setup/driving style as anything else.

I think the tire rack testing is supposed to be published late next week.

6/2/22 1:47 p.m.

Yeah, based on Bridgestone's previous offerings, I'd expect the RE-71RS to be a contender.

Kenneth Howell
Kenneth Howell New Reader
6/2/22 2:00 p.m.

Of course performance is top priority price second. That's my thing do i want to jump first to try them or go with the tried and true. I may hold off just a bit and see. In the size I'm looking at 295/30/18 the Bridgestone is 350 the Yokohama is 411 quite a price difference. Which is kind of surprising and makes me think maybe they sacrificed some grip for longevity endurance side of things.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/2/22 5:09 p.m.

I was talking to a Tire Rack guy at an event about the new RE71s and he confirmed that they are probably the best choice for TTs/HPDE.  The new compound deals with heat from track use a little better.

Still sad about no 225/45-15 and trying to decide between RT660 and Rival S 1.5.  Don't think there's a wrong choice there, it will probably come down to price.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/3/22 1:36 p.m.
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:

Good to hear that it's a little better, but realistically there's other compounds (most notably RT660's) that deal with heat a LOT better.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/3/22 2:07 p.m.
goingnowherefast said:

Don't take my "little better" description as gospel - I'm paraphrasing what I heard in a longer conversation.  It will be interesting to see some real test results.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/22 10:36 p.m.

No surprise, I guess.

My three year old rivals ( they were two years old when TR shipped them to me) are getting pretty toasted. Five runs and a 250 mile round trip today. Tomorrow it's about 500 miles and who knows how many runs...on concrete.

dps214
dps214 Dork
6/4/22 11:00 p.m.

On the bright side, it looks like the latest shipment of falkens finally landed and almost all sizes of RT660 are showing in stock at tire rack at the moment.

My original order seemed to be locked in to shipping from the indiana warehouse which apparently hasn't been restocked in my size yet. I canceled and reordered and the tires are shipping from louisiana and should be here by thursday. So their shipping/inventory system is getting better but still has some issues dealing with backorders.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/6/22 9:07 p.m.
dps214 said:

Just ordered a set of RT660s in 225/45-15 for the Miata.  Would have liked to try the new RE71s...

6/30/22 7:28 p.m.

Ours just landed. Testing very soon.

mKya1kOfpvnxVQLJcp3MaCLW7wqYZF3NnqR21h4qbLkAagYbQZAztpU6z4E4TEFR