Coming soon: GRM ‘90s collection

Colin
By Colin Wood
Jun 8, 2022 | vintage, Radwood, Merch, merchandise, Clothes

Remember the ‘90s? Movie night meant stopping at a Blockbuster, going online involved dial-up, and Grassroots Motorsports carried the tagline of America’s Magazine of Amateur Motorsports.

Whether you want to relive the magic of the ‘90s or just want some rad-era GRM gear to match your rad-era car, our new ‘90s vintage collection features the old-school Grassroots Motorsports logo: hats, T-shirts, sweatshirts and even a denim jacket.

The collection drops this Friday, June 10, at 12:00 p.m. Eastern in the GRM store.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more vintage, Radwood, Merch, merchandise and Clothes news.
Comments
fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/8/22 11:36 a.m.

get off the dang phone Ma! I'm trying to use the AOL!

6/8/22 11:47 a.m.
trucke
trucke SuperDork
6/8/22 11:49 a.m.

Vintage decals?smiley

6/8/22 11:59 a.m.

In reply to trucke :

We seriously need those.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/8/22 12:26 p.m.

Not going to lie, I was hoping for some crazy 90s neon colors. The 90s throwback bumper sticker would be amazing.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/8/22 12:35 p.m.

OK, I think I am digging that.

One improvement I would probably make.  Take it to an AutoX and have someone drive over it with nice warm and sticky AutoX tire (diagonal bottom left to top right).

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
6/8/22 12:44 p.m.

In reply to trucke :

Ask and ye shall receive - stickers will be included in the collection.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/8/22 12:58 p.m.

Real talk, I was not at all a fan of the tag line change. I do, however, accept that time changes us all...

This drop might actually get me to break my "no decals" rule on my rad 90s ride. I kinda want a windshield banner even if it does kill visibility in an already terrible situation.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
6/8/22 1:03 p.m.

In reply to tb :

Unfortunately we were unable to make windshield banners for this drop, but I couldn't help but think of this and giggle:

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/8/22 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Nicole Suddard :

I needed that laugh today, thanks!

Didn't expect you could make a run honestly. I might go for something smaller and subtle, though.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
6/8/22 1:46 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

I was thinking the very same thing.  Neon colors, "Rad 90's", Da Bomb, you know, 90's slogans. Just get jiggy with it. Looking forward to Friday.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/8/22 2:19 p.m.

Great, I'll order some. My favorite was your first GRM T. Or was it AutoX? 1980s? It had a small logo on the front and I don't think there was anything on the back.

Here's my current oldest. It's not as white as the pic suggests!;

6/8/22 3:19 p.m.

In reply to tb :

You know, I think this is the prototype for the windshield banner.

6/8/22 3:21 p.m.

And I happen to be in the photo server right now, and here they are–from a tick more than 20 years ago.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/8/22 3:23 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/8/22 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

One of my all time favorite terrible movies.

Like tb, I suspect, I've never been thrilled to be walking around claiming to read the "hardcore" anything (in terms of the boast, get your mind out of the gutter), never mind how much of my wardrobe consists of GRM shirts. Looking forward to this (and hoping some are offered in black, but not depending on it).

As long as I'm making unsolicited apparel suggestions, the previous-era poster style CM shirts were some of my all time favorites. If those came back, I might panic and buy several.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/8/22 4:42 p.m.

I was hoping for a hypercolor GRM shirt.

6/8/22 4:51 p.m.

And I almost had vintage Auto-X stickers on the 911 at Radwood, but someone's color vinyl printer was down....

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/22 5:07 p.m.

I had an Auto-X shirt!

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/8/22 5:09 p.m.

Personally, I am just about subtlety and understatement when it comes to my daily drivers and currently I only have a daily driver... and, yes, "hardcore" is a bit outside my wheelhouse if we are talking about self image.

Sadly, though, my biggest problem with these sweet retro deals is that I don't wear t shirts. I am a buttoned down collared guy in my everyday apparel. I do own a GRM mechanics style shirt, but the selection for anything other than a "t" in life is minimal.

6/8/22 5:20 p.m.
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) said:

Here's my current oldest. It's not as white as the pic suggests!;

That was one of my favorite T-shirts. I believe we did a very limited run in a long-sleeve T as well.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/8/22 6:55 p.m.

My eldest daughter likes to go "shopping at dad's" so I haven't had my angry racer guy t-shirt in over a year.  I'd buy three (so we'd each have two) if I could.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
6/9/22 11:09 a.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

While we don't have the OG Angry Shifter Guy shirt anymore, we do have this modified design available.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
6/9/22 11:10 a.m.

In reply to tb :

How do you feel about polo shirts?

6/9/22 12:22 p.m.

And dibs on some Auto-X stickers. Do we know what size? (Hopefully one that fits here. smiley)

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
6/9/22 12:31 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

No Auto X stickers in this drop for branding reasons. Just vintage GRM logo. They'll be 5.5 inches wide and about half that tall.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/22 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Nicole Suddard :

Poorly, unfortunately. But I appreciate you thinking of me.

I totally understand that it is me, not everyone else that is odd... but in this group, well...

6/9/22 2:26 p.m.

Bowling shirts.

And for me. smiley

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/9/22 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Nicole Suddard :

These stickers are dangerous and inconvenient,  but I do love that magazine.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/22 3:08 p.m.

I love this.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/22 3:47 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

might have worn a bowling shirt once or twice in the '90s... but that was many years of hard living ago and I can't be sure. I could blow them horns, and Ska and Jive were having a moment so i picked up some gigs here and there and vaguely remember wearing questionable fashions.

i do have some very nice Hawaiian shirts that have occasionally been appropriate to don.

In reply to tb :

I now want to make a Hawaiian autocross shirt, where the pedals of the hibiscus are made of cones.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/9/22 5:44 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Different from what we have here?

I think you're asking about my CM shirt question?

This is the style I like, and if you weren't out of stock in L, I'd grab a spare or two. I think I probably have every version of this style:

I don't care much for the comic book cover version that succeeded it, but as noted, I do have rather a lot of these, and if the new ones are going over well you've obviously made a good call.

Same deal for the Angry Shifter Dude and "Hardcore" wording. Heaven knows not many people take fashion cues from me, to the world's relief, and as much fun as it might be, I know you can't cater to my every whim...

Still looking forward to the new old shirts!

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/10/22 12:25 p.m.

The truly shocking thing, to me, is that I ordered the Sport Grey shirt.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/22 12:28 p.m.

Somebody needs to make "Add a caption" photos with some of the models.

I imagine the woman in the splash photo designing a course, and looking at a tight section with that side-smug-smile look thinking "The Corvettes are going to blast that cone into outer space."

The guy in the photo is running scoring and is thinking: "Ask me your time again. It's my favorite question."

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/10/22 1:19 p.m.

The female office staff may or may not refer to one of the models as I-can-fix-him guy, as in "I-can-fix-him-guy shirt is sold out!"

Margie