Here it is: The all-new, second-gen BMW M2

Colin
By Colin Wood
Oct 12, 2022 | BMW, M2, BMW M2

Photography Courtesy BMW

Before we all descend into madness discussing the new M2’s looks, let’s talk numbers.

The all-new BMW M2 comes powered by a 3.0-liter, twin-turbo inline-six good for 453 horsepower at 6250 rpm and 406 lb.-ft. of torque at 2650-5870 rpm.

A six-speed manual comes standard, though buyers can opt for an eight-speed automatic.

Measuring in at roughly 180 inches long, 74 inches wide and 55 inches tall, the new M2 weighs in at 3814 pounds when equipped with the manual gearbox. (Add 53 pounds for the auto box.)

As far as wheels and tires, the BMW is fitted with 9.5 x 19-inch wheels up front and 10.5 x 20-inch wheels out back shod in 275/35 ZR19 and 285/30 ZR20 tires, respectively.

BMW says the new car will only take 3.9 seconds to reach 60 mph from a standstill when equipped with the auto, or 4.1 seconds if you stick with the manual.

Starting price for all this? $62,200–plus a $995 destination and handling fee, of course.

Now that all that is out of the way, we’ll let you discuss aesthetics.

And for your viewing pleasure, here’s the spec sheet plus standard equipment and options:

Major Standard Equipment:

• Cognac Vernasca Leather with Contrast Stitching
  • Black Full Merino Leather with M Color Highlight

Interior Trims:

• Black High Gloss
  • Aluminum Rhombicle Anthracite
  • Carbon Fiber
Join Free Join our community to easily find more BMW, M2 and BMW M2 news.
More like this
Comments
Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/22 6:15 p.m.

I bet it is a hoot to drive!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/11/22 6:23 p.m.

Well the kidneys are smaller so that's cool. And the red is nice. Wait, do I spy box flares?!

Janitor_genie
Janitor_genie
10/11/22 6:29 p.m.

It looks like a baby F06 6 series

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/22 6:37 p.m.

What's not to like?

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/11/22 7:06 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

What's not to like?

"the new M2 weighs in at 3814 pounds". surprise

It's basically as big or bigger than an e92 M3 in every dimension. Actually, it's almost as big as a new Mustang.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/11/22 7:32 p.m.
CAinCA said:
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

What's not to like?

"the new M2 weighs in at 3814 pounds". surprise

So, its a German Mustang GT.. Another one to watch out for at and cars and coffee events.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
10/11/22 8:22 p.m.

So it's under 4000lbs...

...until I get in the driver seat, lol.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
10/11/22 10:02 p.m.

One of the best looking cars BMW has put out in a decade or more. Liking the color too!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/11/22 10:35 p.m.

I actually like it.

Butnas mentioned, definitely put on a bit more than the freshman 15.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
10/11/22 10:45 p.m.

Yeah it's a heckuva car and I dig the flares, but it weighs more than an E39 M5 surprise

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/12/22 12:27 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

So it's under 4000lbs...

...until I get in the driver seat, lol.

I'm right there with you brother.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
10/12/22 5:29 a.m.

At least they got the wheel arches right...

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/12/22 6:14 a.m.
STM317 said:

At least they got the wheel arches right...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think the flat front flare looks like a Nissan and not in a good way.

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
10/12/22 7:44 a.m.

I do like box flares, and the grille is smaller than an M3/M4. So I guess that's nice...

I'd like to see it in another color. In different photos, the flares either look huge, or barely noticeable.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/22 8:15 a.m.

That is less than 200 lbs lighter than my cls550. I do like the looks of it!!!

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/12/22 8:54 a.m.

I'm surprised it's "only" 453hp. I'm sure it's under rated and a tune adds 100hp but still

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/12/22 8:54 a.m.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/12/22 9:14 a.m.
CAinCA said:

"the new M2 weighs in at 3814 pounds". surprise

The curb weight of my 1961 Pontiac Bonneville was listed at 3810 pounds.  I know modern cars are more 'dense' with crash protection, electronics, etc. but that's just crazy.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/12/22 9:32 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

So it's under 4000lbs...

...until I get in the driver seat, lol.

Same, and speaking of us... uh.. larger folks. If these are the only seats available:

...then that's gonna be a "no" from me, dawg.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/12/22 9:34 a.m.

The current lightest weight BMW M-car weights more than my 1972 El Camino. And it doesn't even have batteries to blame. Yikes.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/12/22 10:04 a.m.

Nose isn't nearly as hideous as the M3/4 but it's far from pleasing esthetically.  3800lbs is a huge porker.  I'd still go with the last gen M2 comp

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
10/12/22 10:06 a.m.

Love the looks!! Weight is crazy. Does indirect charge air cooling mean an air to liquid intercooler? Only newer BMW turbo motor I am somewhat familiar with is the 2.0 4 cylinder. Both of them we’ve had were air to air. Less post turbo plumbing volume decreases lag, but liquid to air adds even more weight...

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
10/12/22 10:35 a.m.

I like the flare and general shape, but some of the details...yikes.  Did they forget the grille mesh in the front openings?   And the outboard rear openings/styling is a little too transformers/Civic Type R for my taste.  But that's coming from someone who thinks the E46/E39 were where BMW peaked with styling:

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
10/12/22 10:47 a.m.

Does it have a dipstick?

Will it drip oil on its serpentine belt out of the oil filter housing?

Will it force feed itself that belt through the front seal if it fails?

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
10/12/22 10:54 a.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

No, those are old and outdated failures. This model will include the latest in modern failures, completely different from those that came before (except in terms of cost to repair and catastrophic outcomes if ignored).

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/12/22 11:04 a.m.
jgrewe said:

Does it have a dipstick?

Will it drip oil on its serpentine belt out of the oil filter housing?

Will it force feed itself that belt through the front seal if it fails?

To be fair, you could ask those same questions of a lot of modern cars. Late model Volvos come to mind

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/12/22 11:42 a.m.

600 lbs. heavier than my Z4m seems a large penalty for having two seats that will probably seldom be used.  I'd love that engine in my car, though (you can buy a supercharger kit that puts the original S54 engine up there, but supercharging an engine with 11.5 compression just seems somehow unnatural to me....)

stonebreaker
stonebreaker New Reader
10/12/22 1:11 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

That's what I took away from the article, as well.  Why do modern cars weigh so much?

Region_Rat
Region_Rat New Reader
10/12/22 1:17 p.m.

She is definitely chunky...

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
10/12/22 1:38 p.m.

3800lbs?????  Eff that.

Cars have become monstrous pigs in the pursuit of safety and technological bells and whistles.

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
10/12/22 1:40 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

The excessive weight and the aesthetics to start...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/12/22 2:26 p.m.
jgrewe said:

Does it have a dipstick?

Will it drip oil on its serpentine belt out of the oil filter housing?

Will it force feed itself that belt through the front seal if it fails?

I haven't heard anything about the B/S58 engines having the same failures as the N54/55 engines.

Honsch
Honsch Reader
10/12/22 2:38 p.m.

What a pig.  My wife's Forester is 400 lbs less.

gbuff
gbuff GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/12/22 4:27 p.m.

At 2500# and change I'll keep throwing my Mini Cooper around and loving life; good luck if you throw that sow around and it gets away from you no

MauryH
MauryH GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/12/22 4:50 p.m.

Back in the day - way back- my Dad had a '49 4-door Buick Roadmaster that was huge, even then.

IIRC it was 'only' 4,000 lbs - 2 tons.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/12/22 5:13 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

...then that's gonna be a "no" from me, dawg.

Crap! Those look, uh, comfortable. That nutbuster wedgy thingy will be real comfortable on long trips. frown

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
10/12/22 5:20 p.m.

Nowhere to go but up considering how butt ugly the new m3/m4 is so I guess they got that going for them! I think this is aimed more at the techie parking in garages in NYC and not the GRM tracking with a group of Porsches like BMW's used to be about.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
10/12/22 5:22 p.m.
stonebreaker said:

In reply to CAinCA :

I don't think you keep 4-500hp cool, contained, and "reliable" in an oem context while keeping the weight down.

But if it didn't weigh 4000lbs you wouldn't need that much oomph to be quick so... meh.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/13/22 9:06 a.m.
CAinCA said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

...then that's gonna be a "no" from me, dawg.

Those seats are part of the carbon package.  The nut-tuck is part of the ingress/egress procedure.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
10/13/22 11:47 a.m.

I miss tire sidewalls. I also miss square setups that you can rotate easily.

I guess if you're dropping this sort of coin on a car, you're probably ok dropping a bit more to have somebody else mess with your tires.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/13/22 1:00 p.m.
Cactus said:

I miss tire sidewalls. I also miss square setups that you can rotate easily.

M cars haven't had square setups since the '95 M3, IIRC

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/22 1:12 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Cactus said:

I miss tire sidewalls. I also miss square setups that you can rotate easily.

M cars haven't had square setups since the '95 M3, IIRC

'96 cheeky

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/13/22 2:39 p.m.
Slippery said:
z31maniac said:
Cactus said:

I miss tire sidewalls. I also miss square setups that you can rotate easily.

M cars haven't had square setups since the '95 M3, IIRC

'96 cheeky

I'll bet you a nice steak dinner. devil

'95 was 235/40/17 at all 4 corners.

'96 (when it changed to the S52 and OBD-II) it went to 225/45/17, and 245/40/17    F/R.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
10/13/22 3:48 p.m.

Oddly, to a lot of us, the 90s were when everything went to E36 M3.

Pun intended.