Hyundai Ioniq 5: A too brief encounter that left us longing for more

David S.
By David S. Wallens
Sep 21, 2022 | Hyundai, electric, Electric Cars, Ioniq 5, Hyundai Ioniq 5

Photography Courtesy Hyundai

Perhaps that’s a good sign: A few minutes in the Hyundai Ioniq 5 left us wanting more time behind the wheel of the brand’s new EV. But the press event’s schedule was compressed, allowing us just a quick ride around town. A formal review will have to wait.

But here’s what we found.

First impressions: It’s just as striking looking in person. That bodyline is crisp and clean. The nose has enough of a snout to look natural.

The flush door handles pop out and work as intended. Despite the look, they’re not tricky to use. The wheels look busy but seem to work with the other body details.

Call the Hyundai’s interior modern and borderline futuristic without trying too hard. The wide, wide display doesn’t look like an afterthought. It fits in there naturally. It’s not like they got to the 11th hour and someone proclaimed, “Quick, add a giant screen so people know this is a high-tech vehicle.”

The HVAC and audio controls can be accessed through the center stack. The shifter is kinda via an electronically actuated column lever. (Trust us, it makes sense once you use it.)

The touch points have a softness to them. It looks and feels like a Hyundai.

The seats are comfortable and supportive. No issues were encountered during our 15 or so minutes behind the wheel.

We never got out of traffic, so we can’t tell you how the Ioniq 5 felt at speed. Or if it’s really that quick. Or if it got noisy.

However, we can tell you that the Ioniq 5 and Ford Mustang Mach-E are about the same size and shape–the Hyundai starts at $39,950 while the Mustang Mach-E starts at $46,895–yet the Hyundai seems to offer a more premium experience. Hopefully soon we’ll get a little more wheel time with this one.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Hyundai, electric, Electric Cars, Ioniq 5 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 news.
More like this
Comments
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/20/22 3:47 p.m.

My wife and I agreed that we'd love to buy an Ioniq 5/Kia EV6/electric car for our next family vehicle if it wasn't for two big factors:

1. We don't trust the current (non-Tesla) car charging infrastructure.
  2. Both are a little too far outside our budget right now.
9/20/22 3:57 p.m.

I hear you on the charging network but, as I found driving down to South Florida, it wasn't bad. I'm eager to see where we are in just a few more years.

And you'd look good in an Ioniq 5.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/22 4:07 p.m.

I've seen a few of these driving around town and I love the look. I hadn't seen one up close until last week and it was much wider than I thought, in a good way. Looking forward to a more substantial review whenever y'all get your hands on one.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/20/22 4:10 p.m.

I'm a fan. I see more of the Kia version around, but prefer the Hyundai's looks. If there's anything that I don't like is the nonsense that it starts at 40 large. Good luck getting one for under 60.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/20/22 4:20 p.m.

Article about US sales of EVs thru July 2022

Tesla = 260,000 units (the undisputed leader)

Ford = 30,000 units and the Lightning truck really isnt any of those sales

Hyundai = 15,000 and Kia = 14,000 sort of a combined 29,000 units

The article calls the Koreans the "quiet leaders in EV sales"  I have to agree.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/20/22 4:27 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And you'd look good in an Ioniq 5.

Well, that's the only justification I need to buy one.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/20/22 4:29 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

I've been seeing them multiply in recent weeks on the roads around here (north of Orlando). And I second you on how wide they are. Didn't realize how big they are until I saw one charging at a local gas station.

9/20/22 4:42 p.m.

I saw one near JG's house. It looks striking out in the wild.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/20/22 4:57 p.m.

I got to sample one from our local press fleet recently along with another writer (We borrowed it to go look at another interesting vehicle: a 90's JDM Land Cruiser Prado. It was about 30 miles away.). Some quick thoughts:

-It looks great. Definitely unique compared to just about everything else out there. And yes, the wheels look like they were cribbed from a mid-90's Chrysler, but I dig them.
-Interior was fantastic. Great fit and finish, seats were comfortable, and the packaging gave the car an airy feeling. Accent lighting at night made the thing feel like something from Star Trek.
-It's like a plus-sized hatchback. Didn't really feel like a CUV in any way.
-It's not slow by any means. It gets up and goes without issue. Range was decent as well.
-It handles great, and it LOVES the highway. Just loafs down the road in comfort. Nice and quiet, too.
-Stopping power was incredibly good. It handled the twisties very well. Has a slight tendency to kick the back end out in spirited driving when you push it to the limit, which made it extra fun.

Overall, it's a decent electric transportation pod that still remains comfortable and engaging to drive, and it is easier on the eyes than a lot of other EV's. I'd consider one as a daily driver if you're in the market for an EV.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/20/22 5:33 p.m.

Those wheels are just so amazing. And 5x114.3 to boot!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/22 5:37 p.m.

They're popping up around here too. I need to swing by the Hyundai showroom to check one out. Hyundai/Kia are doing some interesting stuff right now.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
9/20/22 5:41 p.m.

That first picture looks vaguely Aztec-y, if you squint a little. Threw me off. I like the color more than I like the body lines, it's a little gratuitously geometric for my taste but it does it well. The wheels are an eyesore.

All that being said, we're committed to an electric future and this has a lot more going for it aesthetically than the rest. I hope to never have one but at least it's unique.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
9/20/22 5:48 p.m.

When it comes time to replace the QX4 I want to replace it with something electric- but whatever it is will have to be able to handle bad gravel/dirt roads and be AWD to ensure it can make it to our cabin. I like the look of these- but it just looks too low and made purely for driving on paved roads.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/22 6:05 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Maybe it's pseudo-lancia delta integrale looks translate to dirt road performance too?

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/20/22 6:23 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Something like this with AWD and Rivian-esque ride-height control would be great. I envison a dial with autocross at one end and offroading at the other.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/22 6:25 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Keep in mind those are 20" wheels with a 255/45-20 tire, which means they're 29" in diameter. That's a couple of inches larger than the tires that came on my XJ when it was new. So they've probably got more ground clearance than you expect, because the whole car is just plain bigger than it looks in pictures.

Smooth underbodies are great for aero but also happen to be good for rough roads - no exhaust systems hanging down to catch rocks, for example. Looks like it's got 6.1" of ground clearance, a QX4 has 8.3".

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/20/22 7:28 p.m.

Dimensionally, it's a CR-V that's been lowered about 2 inches and given rad 80s style.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/20/22 8:06 p.m.

Excited you got a peek; really looking forward to a more thorough GRM review.

This is way up at the pointy end of modern cars I'm excited about. I think they look rad (and I think people are using that word frequently and correctly), and the fact that they're bigger than you expect in person means they actually make sense for the DD role for me, I think.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/21/22 7:01 a.m.

Earlier this year the Aging Wheels guy on YouTube did a video on the Ioniq5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vm_ASm2zfs  He and a friend did a 1200 mile road trip in one.  I was impressed with how quickly it recharged.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/21/22 7:30 a.m.

I'd have to color match the trim if I were to get one:

34140

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/22 9:55 a.m.

There are spy photos surfacing of a Hyundai Ioniq 5 N model in prototype form! 500+hp and looking proper.

I hope that other manufacturers start investing in smaller electric performance cars.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/21/22 10:03 a.m.

I do hope the wheels haven't changed out. Pretty sure the ones I've seen around locally have the wheels in the opening pic, but when I went to configure on the website all trims just showed a super boring five spoke.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
9/21/22 10:06 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

I'd definitely want higher? profile tires on it- my experience has been that lower-profile tires like that just aren't fun on really rough gravel/dirt roads like we have to deal with. Raise it up a bit, give it a wider band of rubber between the wheels and the ground, and AWD and it should work.

Interestingly, when I looked around earlier in the summer to see what options I might have, the Volvo XC40 looked like the best option- and it just has .8" more of ground clearance.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/21/22 10:11 a.m.

I hope this thing is so successful they make a 7/8 scale version.  At 67% of the price (7/8 ^ 3)

I just want a cheap EV hot hatch dammit.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/21/22 10:30 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

It's worth mentioning that Kia already pulled the covers off the EV6 GT:

With 576 hp and the ability to accelerate from 0-60 mph in 3.4 seconds, the EV6 GT holds its own against the top performing automobiles in the world. Arriving late fall 2022, the GT trim boasts racing-inspired handling, high-performance dual motors, eAWD, and electronically controlled suspension. Take it up a notch with available driver-selected GT Mode and Drift Mode and experience an all-electric drive like no other.

I'm confident we'll see some pretty similar numbers from the Ioniq 5 N.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
9/21/22 11:35 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

This x100. I love the looks, but the proportions are way too big in person. Like a hatchback swallowed another car. I would LOVE a 7/8 version.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/21/22 1:04 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

It's worth mentioning that Kia already pulled the covers off the EV6 GT:

I'm confident we'll see some pretty similar numbers from the Ioniq 5 N.

It costs nothing to be kind.

That is most definitely rad.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/22 1:13 p.m.

I am super excited about this car. I'm slowly working on my wife to replace her F-Type R with this when ready. I love the looks, the ability to charge quickly and the range. And I love the wheels but am not excited about cleaning them!

MWeisman
MWeisman GRM+ Member
9/21/22 4:07 p.m.

laugh - This... "...until I saw one charging at a local gas station."

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/22 4:27 p.m.

I wonder why they chose such a long wheelbase?

9/21/22 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

Good question. Packaging? Looks? Comfort?

9/21/22 4:44 p.m.

While visiting our friends at Hyundai, they shared some sales/technical info with us. I'll write that up as a separate item.

One thing I noticed: The standard Ioniq 5 is rear-wheel drive. Sounds fun. laugh

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/22 4:46 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That's pretty typical for EVs, they're RWD or AWD. The interesting exception is the upcoming Durango, which can be FWD (lowest power, smallest motor), RWD (middle power, larger motor) or AWD (highest power, both motors). The Dodge engineers figured FWD/RWD behaviours were secondary to others.

9/21/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Oddly, I thought, the Kona EV is FWD.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/22 5:00 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That's fundamentally a converted ICE instead of a ground-up EV, so there was already a big motor hole in the front :)

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/22 5:01 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

Good question. Packaging? Looks? Comfort?

Yeah, one review that I read mentioned a lousy turning radius. I'm a fan of short overhangs, so it works for me and probably results in a nicer ride. But a longer wheelbase requires a stronger chassis, so I'd suspect that the main reason is to allow for a big battery pack that doesn't have to be too thick. And maybe, just maybe it will share a platform with the mythical EV minvan.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/22 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

If your mythical mini van is FWD this would be way easier:

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/22 5:32 p.m.

Not getting your point.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/21/22 6:10 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Yup plus knuckles, halfshafts, and other components which can be shared, or at least iterated with minimal design effort.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/22 7:11 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

The lower lift over height creates more room for the ramp. It comes down to packaging, 90% of buyers don't give a E36 M3 about rwd or fwd it comes down to convenience for me the buyer.

Pesqy
Pesqy
9/21/22 7:31 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

1. We don't trust the current (non-Tesla) car charging infrastructure.
  2. Both are a little too far outside our budget right now.

These are the two reasons that I'm holding back as well. Hopefully we'll see prices come down (or my income go up) in the near future.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
9/21/22 7:58 p.m.

One of those spy photos linked above showed a rear wiper on the Ioniq N. I hope this trickles down to the normal models too, because that would fix a really embarrassing omission on the first models.

As I think we have discussed before, a rear wiper may be a frill in Florida, but it's a necessity in Canada.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/22/22 12:27 a.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel :

I used my rear wiper today actually- we get real rain down here- basically a lake falls to earth.

9/22/22 9:19 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Yeah, I figured that out on my own. :)

Just an interesting point that one's FWD, one's RWD.

QD95ILSc2sPbFwVRZk5ikSjj41siHuN6JveGTIkMUx9Wg8uy2pn7nB7c6gi2Llrv