ICYMI: 300-horsepower GR Corolla starts at $35,900

Colin
By Colin Wood
Sep 7, 2022 | Toyota, Corolla, GR Corolla, Toyota GR Corolla

Photograph Courtesy Toyota

How much will $36,000 get you these days? Approximately one 2023 Toyota GR Corolla.

Although the Circuit and Morizo Editions of the Corolla won’t hit dealerships until 2023, you won’t have to wait much longer for the “base” Core model–look for it coming to a Toyota lot near you this November.

[GR Corolla ticks all the boxes]

As far as major options, The Corolla Core can be upgraded with a Performance package that adds front and rear Torsen limited-slip differentials plus vented and slotted front brake rotors–the rears are only vented–with 4-piston fixed calipers up front and 2-piston fixed calipers in the rear.

Also available is a Technology Package that gives you a JBL audio system, navigation and wireless phone charging. The Cold Weather Package offers heated front seats and a steering wheel.

Here’s how the pricing breaks down for each model:

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Toyota, Corolla, GR Corolla and Toyota GR Corolla news.
More like this
Comments
singleslammer
singleslammer GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/6/22 2:33 p.m.

This will be great if one is available at MSRP. I do not think that will be possible.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/6/22 2:36 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

I really wish I could disagree with you, but I fear that dealerships will be dealerships.

bmxr
bmxr New Reader
9/6/22 3:02 p.m.

I'm guessing $60k in the real world...

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
9/6/22 3:03 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to singleslammer :

You can still get a BRZ at MSRP if you shop around,  my son just did 2 weeks ago where as every Toyota dealership that he called was asking $5K to $10K over sticker for an GR 86. Good luck with getting a GR Corolla at sticker.

Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/6/22 3:34 p.m.

Not in the market (currently) but really stoked on this, looking forward to driving impressions once the embargoes are lifted.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
9/6/22 4:11 p.m.
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) said:

... Too bad on the initial color selection, looks like we have red, white, black, grey, other grey, and other white on offer.

Back when I was looking at used Jag F-Types, about 90% were black or white, with gray/silver running a distant third.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
9/6/22 4:31 p.m.

im afraid to go to the dealership and even ask about a bidlist... I mean waitlist

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/6/22 4:31 p.m.

$4k more than another magazine said would be MSRP. Just as I said in another thread on this forum.

I think this is a super exciting car, but I don't think you'll be able to get one for less than $40k since manufacturers won't reign in ADMs. That's what killed the Focus RS. I really wanted one, no test drives unless you sign the paperwork to buy "and then we can tear it up afterward."

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/6/22 6:57 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I haven't checked recently but I wonder what Golf Rs are going for these days. When I bought my GTI in 2018 I could have walked out the door with an R for just over $36k (the GTI was 28 out the door).

What is Volkswagen not let their dealers mark up like that. In my experience Toyota dealers are the freaking worst even when they have a full lot of unsold stuff.

Berck
Berck Reader
9/6/22 7:29 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I paid exactly MSRP for a 2017 Focus RS in October of 2017.  Just had to wait for the hype to die down.  I did not even attempt a test drive because in my experience test drives aren't all that useful.  Didn't get to test drive my 2013 WRX, either.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/6/22 8:10 p.m.
Berck said:

In reply to z31maniac :

The multiple dealers around here weren't asking over MSRP back then, but I wasn't willing to sign the note on something they wouldn't even let me drive.

They wanted you to go through all the paperwork, sign for a loan, before they'd let you have a test drive.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
9/7/22 8:50 a.m.

I really wish they'd go ahead and announce the Canadian pricing too.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
9/7/22 9:00 a.m.

I asked my local dealer two days after the release if I could get on the list. He told me it was 8 deep already and they hope to get 1 or 2 in the first year of production. I feel like its insider trading at the dealers to get the new hot models.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/7/22 9:08 a.m.
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) said:

Cant believe Toyota didnt at least offer a beige per their norm....

te72
te72 HalfDork
9/7/22 10:54 p.m.
kevinatfms said:
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) said:

Cant believe Toyota didnt at least offer a beige per their norm....

I'd rock a sand beige GR Corolla. Would be perfect for the dustbowl I live in. =P

Kidding aside, Toyota... make it in Galactic Aqua Mica, and give me a call. The base car with the performance package and cold weather package would be quite tempting for me, if at MSRP you're looking at around $700 / month. Oof. Makes me sick looking at that number a bit, but... I've never owned a new car. My first Toyota was an E70 Corolla (hence the name) and I'm definitely interested in the GR.

hkrk88
hkrk88
9/8/22 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Did you mean Stealerships?

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
9/8/22 1:13 p.m.

A $36,000.00 Corolla? Seriously?

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/8/22 1:27 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

Wait until you see the price on the top-tier trim...and that's before "market adjustments"

My only hope is that Toyota continues to crank these out for a few years so that the hype and markups can die down. With the death of ICE sports cars, I suspect this might be a 2 model-year only vehicle

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/22 1:28 p.m.
rustomatic said:

A $36,000.00 Corolla? Seriously?

A new ZL1 Camaro is $70-80k.  Is it not unreasonable for a Corolla to cost half of what a Camaro costs?

Alternatively, MSRP on a 2004 STi was $32k, which is about $50k in 2022 dollars.  And that got you a blanking plate instead of a radio.

Back then people were incredulous over spending That Kind of money on a Subaru.  The market tended to think it was acceptable smiley

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/8/22 7:50 p.m.

If this sells at MSRP, I'm probably a buyer.  Stock class rallycross here I come!

SupraFiend
SupraFiend New Reader
9/9/22 3:18 a.m.

A corolla with a bespoke engine, transmission, torsen differtials, 300hp and a drift mode. Just think of it as the new Celica Altrac, except with more power and better tech.

Apparently it undercuts the Golf R and Civic Type R. So a golf and a civic are even more ;)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/9/22 12:12 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
rustomatic said:

A $36,000.00 Corolla? Seriously?

A Camaro 1SS 1LE is $46k. And I have a feeling it would still stomp a GR Corrola, no need for the ZL1.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/22 12:54 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
rustomatic said:

A $36,000.00 Corolla? Seriously?

But, that is not the top model, which skews things.  A mid level Corolla is about $25k, so still about half.

For $46k you get a large, heavy car that only has two wheel drive, and sounds like a Silverado.  I'll take the Corolla.

Really, would rather have the Yaris.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
9/9/22 1:17 p.m.
rustomatic said:

A $36,000.00 Corolla? Seriously?

we said that about a focus RS or a golf R and those did well, except the focus because its trash...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/9/22 8:52 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
z31maniac said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
rustomatic said:

A $36,000.00 Corolla? Seriously?

Really, would rather have the Yaris.

The ZL1 would sound pretty similar considering it's the same engine with a SC.

I was just mostly going for price/performance ratio.

clshore
clshore Reader
9/10/22 2:29 p.m.

I just want the motor to swap into my Spitfire ...

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/22 8:35 p.m.

*sigh*

My Jetta is rated at 110 hp for the entire 2.0 engine.

And the GR has 100 hp per cylinder.  *sigh*

te72
te72 HalfDork
9/10/22 11:47 p.m.
Noddaz said:

*sigh*

My Jetta is rated at 110 hp for the entire 2.0 engine.

And the GR has 100 hp per cylinder.  *sigh*

Toyotas of old were fun, but shall we say... frugal. My 79 Celica had all of not enough hp out of its 20R engine, 2.2L of displacement. The 1980 Corolla might have had even less power out of its 3TC. Fun cars though!

As for the ZL1 sounding like a Silverado, I have to disagree there. I have an 09 GMC equivalent of the Silverado (literally can't think of the GMC truck's name, and I own one, can you tell I'm a truck guy?), and it sounds nothing at all like a friend's autocross ZL1 1LE.

When I hit the gas, it gets kinda loud. When he hits the gas, it gets really loud, goes somewhere fast, and has a pleasing tone to it.

...but it was far more expensive than a GR Corolla. =P

I'd also have preferred the Yaris, but crash testing regulations and cost most likely prevented that.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
9/11/22 8:53 a.m.

That motorcycle transmission attached to the rear diff is kind of interesting.  Does one really need this much tech in a 300 horsepower car?

Case in point:  In 2008, there was a bit of obsession over the new VW R32.  On paper, short of its portly curb weight, it seemed awesome:  six cylinders and AWD in a refined package without Audi cost.  What could be wrong with a next-level GTI?  Pretty much all of the testing resulted in a preference for the GTI, which saved many pennies.  The pennies were frequently not the main consideration, though.  The complete absence of anything special in the driving experience (vs. the GTI) was the main takeaway.

One can really over-cook a 300-ish horsepower vehicle in terms of equipment.  Saving a busload of weight might add some real entertainment.  That money for a Corolla, well, enjoy the payments . . .

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/11/22 11:09 a.m.
rustomatic said:

See also, 3000GT VR-4

reply to Noddaz:

If it makes you feel any better, my Prius C had a rampaging 99hp when new. Now the hybrid battery is weak and it has 175k on the clock, my guess it that's closer to 80hp. And somehow I still manage to pass 15% of other drivers.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/22 1:53 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
rustomatic said:

A $36,000.00 Corolla? Seriously?

In the dirt?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/22 1:55 p.m.
rustomatic said:

Chevy adopted drive by wire for the C5 because they felt they could not adequately handle the rampaging power (heh) of the LS1 with analog throttle.

​​​​"300hp" is a vague statement.  Skyline GT-Rs had a ridiculous amount of tech for 276hp.  WRCars were limited to about 300hp and they could run 11 second quarter miles... on gravel.  It is all about how the power is delivered.  A high revving small naturally aspirated 300hp is a lot different from a turbo engine that can make 400 ft-lb at low RPM, nonlinearly with throttle request.  I had one car with a manual boost controller that would build full boost at quarter throttle.

That money for a Corolla, well, enjoy the payments . . .

This is why I bring up the $80k Camaro.  It's just a hairdressers car, who would pay $80k for that? smiley

OTOH, AE86s in good condition are worth serious money... so obviously people are willing to spend a lot of money on "a Corolla" that has only 115hp and no warranty.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/11/22 2:37 p.m.

One can easily option up a "normal" Corolla to over 30k MSRP, so IMO this isn't that bad, compared to other 300 hp AWD hatchbacks out there it's a bargain.. If you can find one at MSRP

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/22 6:01 p.m.

The Skyline 276 hp....  that had more to do with Japanese law than actual power output.  There is a long list of 276 hp Japanese cars.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/22 7:11 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I am sure they made an actual 276hp.

20B Cosmos also made 276hp, but they tapered the boost from 10psi at the low end to 4psi at the top to keep under the limit.  The funny thing is they make just as much power if you scrape the turbos off and run N/A, they just have less low end.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/22 9:46 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

A lot of special edition Mitsu and Subarus were also "276 hp."  Even if they did limit them to 276 to comply with the law, a lot of these engines were easily modified to exceed that number.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/12/22 9:38 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

It was less of a law and more of a gentlemen's agreement between manufacturers at the time. Many factory cars that were rated at 276 exceeded it, even bone stock

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
9/12/22 11:26 a.m.

The Skyline was a GT car.  Ain't no Corolla ever gonna be a GT car.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/22 1:39 p.m.
rustomatic said:

The Skyline was a GT car.  Ain't no Corolla ever gonna be a GT car.

So in theory it didn't need as much tech because it is bigger and heavier?

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/12/22 9:32 p.m.

I found out the purpose of the rear seat delete and bar in the Morizo edition

9/13/22 2:27 p.m.

Tune in tomorrow morning for track impressions. (I've said too much.)

te72
te72 HalfDork
9/14/22 12:39 a.m.

I assumed the bar was for attaching shoulder harnesses to it, but it would seem I'm mistaken. That's pretty clever!

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/14/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

The angle seems too low to mount shoulder harnesses to, though I'm sure you could. Plenty of people run harnesses to the rear seat belt mounts using harnesses such as the Rallye 4 and have had no issues.

clshore
clshore Reader
9/16/22 12:14 p.m.

They need the 4WD for the rally cars, and need to build and sell them that way for homologation.

Besides, limiting 300 HP to FWD literally throws away half of the traction.
Matters not how much power you have if it cannot get it to the ground.

Despite your financial misgivings, I doubt that they will have any trouble selling out the whole production run,

no matter how much the $tealerships gouge the buyers.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/22 12:56 p.m.
clshore said:

Besides, limiting 300 HP to FWD literally throws away half of the traction.
Matters not how much power you have if it cannot get it to the ground.

no matter how much the $tealerships gouge the buyers.

WRC has no road car homologation.  If they did, everything on the Corolla or Yaris would be excluded by the rules: wrong engine, wrong transmission, wrong suspension, wrong differential, it isn't a hybrid, etc.

I do not see how the rear diff is "fancy".  Looks like just a regular Haldex type unit.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
9/17/22 10:27 a.m.

Canadian pricing was announced, $45,490 for the Core, but it comes with all 3 optional packages (Sport, Cold Weather, Technology) as standard. Circuit is $53,990 and Morizo is $59,990. The salesman I was talking with didn't know how many Circuits we're getting, but said Canada only gets 10 Morizo's and they're taking written submissions from people wanting those to try and make sure they'll actually get used.

Given the large gap in pricing, I asked them to get me a Core (I reserved a spot long ago) and I'll be selling or trading in my 2015 WRX when it arrives. I might not have chosen the technology pack, but I don't mind that it's included. I like that the other two options are standard, so I don't have to worry about not being able to get them, as I definitely want those. I'm quite thankful that we don't suffer from the same dealer shenanigans as in the US with markups and such (BC, Canada).

clshore
clshore Reader
9/17/22 10:50 a.m.

In reply to RX8driver :

Good deal, I hope that you like it.
And even if you don't, should be no problem finding buyers for it.

clshore
clshore Reader
9/17/22 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

OK, did you read the release article?
Says they need to build and sell enough to meet enough to meet somebodies' homologation.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/22 12:40 p.m.
clshore said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

OK, did you read the release article?

Not sure whose it is, then.  WRC require a 1.6l four cylinder and the automakers are allowed to make a one off engine specifically for WRC if they do not have a suitable production engine.  So it is not the engine.

It is not the all wheel drive, either, as automakers have not needed to base a car on an all wheel drive platform since 1998.

IIRC the only real production requirements are that it has to be based on a series production vehicle of certain dimensions.  When those dimensions changed is when Ford went from the Focus to the Fiesta, for example.  (Note that the Focus WRC never existed at the same time as the all wheel drive RS road car)  They can (must) convert from whatever suspension it has to struts at all four corners, they can (must) use a spec gearbox, etc.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
9/18/22 9:48 a.m.

They built the GR Yaris to homologate that body as I recall, but the drivetrain and AWD getting into street cars was a bonus.

te72
te72 HalfDork
9/18/22 6:47 p.m.
RX8driver said: I'm quite thankful that we don't suffer from the same dealer shenanigans as in the US with markups and such (BC, Canada).

Curious, how does that work up there? Are there some regulations that require cars not be sold over MSRP?

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
9/19/22 12:55 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
rustomatic said:

A $36,000.00 Corolla? Seriously?

Well, seeing as the top Corolla starts at $52k, that's far above half.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/19/22 7:03 a.m.
te72 said:

If people would stop paying them, the dealers wouldn't be able to do it.

My BRZ the dealer tried to add a $1k ADM when I came in to order, I stood up to leave and told them I wouldn't be paying any markup over MSRP. They quickly removed it.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
9/19/22 8:57 a.m.
te72 said:

I believe it's a provincial (state) regulation, which I know at least some provinces have, so then the dealers in the other provinces would do well to follow suit so they don't lose business to neighbouring provinces.

FI2ibA3Bo9YCwE9mRbnj9Of1xOQ9umxFjFifsYl6v2mC0YI6FxLRnOcwrmHRvTu6