Live thread: One week with a 2023 Toyota GR Corolla

Colin
By Colin Wood
Nov 28, 2023 | Toyota, Corolla, GR Corolla, Live Thread

Photography by Donovan Dwyer

Wanna ride shotgun with the GRM crew?

Welcome to this week’s test vehicle, a 2023 Toyota GR Corolla.

In case you forgot, the GR Corolla gets a turbocharged, 1.6-liter inline-three rated at 300 horsepower and 273 lb.-ft. of torque–all of which gets sent to all four wheels through a six-speed manual transmission.

Before you ask, yes, we did take it to the FIRM, but you’ll have to stay tuned for the official lap time.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Toyota, Corolla, GR Corolla and Live Thread news.
Comments
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/27/23 12:47 p.m.

Wanna see the Corolla GR in person? I know it’s not a roadster, but I’ll have it at tonight’s Orlando Roadsters meet: 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/27/23 1:45 p.m.

Aren't these made of Unobtainium?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
11/27/23 2:01 p.m.

Full Nitrocross lap footage from The Firm or you've wasted your week.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
11/27/23 2:12 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Wanna see the Corolla GR in person? I know it’s not a roadster, but I’ll have it at tonight’s Orlando Roadsters meet:

Tom has a Sawzall...display the world's first GR Corolla Speedster!

snowrx
snowrx New Reader
11/27/23 3:19 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Aren't these made of Unobtainium?

Nope, sold my owned-from-new first year WRX when my GRC showed up in January. Performance was over-sold, but it's a great car for me in the snowy north. Could do without the online infotainment, (subscription navigation that needs AT&T?!) but on balance it's nice (for a new car).

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
11/27/23 3:43 p.m.
snowrx said:
John Welsh said:

Aren't these made of Unobtainium?

Nope, sold my owned-from-new first year WRX when my GRC showed up in January. Performance was over-sold, but it's a great car for me in the snowy north. Could do without the online infotainment, (subscription navigation that needs AT&T?!) but on balance it's nice (for a new car).

Toyota does some weird sheet with their subscription based stuff. Like "Do you want remote start that's built into everything already? Yes? $8/month!" 

snowrx
snowrx New Reader
11/27/23 3:50 p.m.

Yep, had an unexpectedly great buying experience at the Toyota dealer, right up until it was time to wade through waivers, load apps, pair car/old phone/apps/Toyota online etc etc. Counting the days until the free period is over and I can take the car off-line.

Davidlu03
Davidlu03 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/27/23 3:52 p.m.

Question--How real is the oil and center diff overheating issues?   

I know Savagegeese did an eval, and they and some GR Corolla tuner said the center diff will overheat in ~15 mins, and the engine oil in about 18-20 mins.  Have ya guys run into that?   

It'd be funny to see laptimes with awd, and what it drops to when it goes fwd once the diff overheats.. 

snowrx
snowrx New Reader
11/27/23 4:20 p.m.

The center diff is a tiny sealed unit, feeding an over driven rear diff, same as the Yaris, with no cooling provision, so yeah folks are tripping the heat limit with track use and the car abruptly goes to FWD.

Not an issue for me for a daily. There are some folks working on a liquid cooled housing, relocated sensors, heat shielding etc.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
11/27/23 4:40 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:
David S. Wallens said:

Wanna see the Corolla GR in person? I know it’s not a roadster, but I’ll have it at tonight’s Orlando Roadsters meet:

Tom has a Sawzall...display the world's first GR Corolla Speedster!

Hmm, Toyota corporate may frown upon that.  Better to simply turn it into a kewl 1970's T-top and call it a day.  The Suits prolly wouldn't even notice, amirite? devil

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0DkBNW1Cq1bZsnm2sgwganaeCfe7fKLiQaIIxMGKedI9ylVZ3hYC1RKoWvqHaf5l