Lost race gear? Grindr to the rescue.

David S.
By David S. Wallens
Aug 17, 2022 | drag racing, Grindr

What’s worse than that dream where you can’t find your clothes? How about someone jacking your safety gear at an event?

That happened to NHRA driver Travis Shumake, son of the late Funny Car Champion Tripp Shumake, at an event in Pomona.

But the community came to the rescue: The younger Shumake recently got new Stand21 safety gear courtesy of Grindr, the popular social networking app.

As a gay man in America’s oldest conservative Motorsport, authentic representation matters,” Shumake said in a Facebook post. “At 280 MPH, I’m proud to be turning heads and raising eyebrows with Grindr as a partner.”

According to Out Magazine, “Travis Shumake made history as the first out gay driver to compete in a national event on the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) racing circuit.”

Join Free Join our community to easily find more drag racing and Grindr news.
Comments
thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/17/22 5:06 p.m.

berkeleying bigots, man. Let the dude race.

Love that Grindr ("social networking app," lol) is a sponsor now. Hard to get more out and proud than that.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/22 5:58 p.m.

At a half a century now I'm happy at how far we've come in my life of accepting others.  I'm also sad at how far we still have to go.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/17/22 6:06 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

After doing some reading, I don't see any mention of his being gay having anything to do with the stolen gear. Nor do I see where his being gay is holding him back from racing. Who are the bigots you speak of?

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/22 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Uh oh....  prepare for backlash.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/17/22 10:51 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

I'm there with you. Other than the established stereotypes that tend to follow motorsports, I was expecting to see someone had looted his suit or something. Maybe I missed it.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/18/22 1:28 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

The only out gay man in drag racing getting his gear stolen makes me suspicious of the motives. Stealing gear is a pretty classic move against a minority in any sport.

The fact that it took until 2022 for someone to both be out in drag racing tells me that being gay has most likely held people back from racing. I suppose it's possible that he's the only gay man who has ever been good enough to make it in the NHRA but the odds are pretty low.

Edit: to be clear, the assumed bigots here are the people who stole his gear.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/18/22 7:03 a.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

I assumed the same but did some digging. While I think the gear theft may have been someone with an agenda and a bigot, the NHRA has apparently been nothing but welcoming.

The news media has us all trained to go for the throat as soon as they put a story out. Their articles are written to lead you to an assumption, frequently a wrong one. I think we, as a society, need to stop assuming the worst of everyone.  Labeling entire groups of people based on the assumed actions of a few does nothing but drive the wedges dividing us even deeper. Let's start giving the benefit of the doubt. Assume people are doing their best, not their worst. Judge people by their actions, not by the actions of someone loosly affiliated with them. At least until proved otherwise. Then you can lower the boom on them.

MattGent
MattGent HalfDork
8/18/22 8:27 a.m.

While I'm not in their market segment, I'd be happy for Grindr, j-date, farmers only, or furry mate to pay for my racing habit.

8/18/22 8:37 a.m.

In reply to MattGent :

It's almost like racing is going mainstream.

8/18/22 8:45 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Several years ago, we were with a rather famous driver here at Daytona. I forget the situation, but he was like, Grab my car keys, they're in my driver suit.

And there, in his driver suit, just sitting in a trailer, were his car keys. Along with his wallet.

The take-home: Keep an eye on your stuff.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/18/22 9:04 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I have a bad habit of that. My trailer was always open and everyone knew I had all the tools. It is easy to get the feeling that all racers a great and honest people. Yeah, just go grab what you need.

Unfortunately its not just racers wandering the paddock. I can't prove I've ever had anything stolen but I have had things go missing.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/22 9:13 a.m.

There's a difference between tools disappearing and safety gear disappearing. Nobody is borrowing a fire suit or hans device to switch out a broken wheel stud.

I've had days where long acre tire pressure gauges walk away, and I've had days when I've gotten home and had 3 long acre gauges found in my box (resulting in an email to organizers; I suspect someone borrows the gauge from me, someone else ask to use it's says it's mine and tells them where to return it's word spreads and anyone who finds/borrows a long acre ends up putting it in my bin box as word spreads like a game of telephone. On the flip side, I've never had a helmet or suit walk away or magically appear. You're also not mistaking someone else's fire suit as your own, there's zero potential for it to be an honest mistake or oversight.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/18/22 9:42 a.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

Of course they have. Unless you are set up on a platform of hate no modern organization is publicly going to purposefully exclude an entire segment of the population.  It's the quickest way of losing sponsors and members.

Doesn't mean they are actively moving against hate within the organization or its members.  That lack of a proactive approach can lead to a belief that it is ok to be hateful.

As an example, how many black drivers has NASCAR had over the years?  How long did it take them to ban the confederate flag? What was the backlash when they did ban it?

Hate flourishes when it isnt actively stamped out.  It is no longer enough to passively fight against it, we have to take steps to actively get rid of it.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/18/22 11:53 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Hence my ninja edit. I reread what you said and my reply, and realized I wasn't being clear.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/18/22 12:14 p.m.

Several years ago, IMSA had a thief that would hit the team trailers during practice or qualifying rounds.  Took them several years to finally catch the man responsible.

Sometimes people take things because they're valuable.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/18/22 12:17 p.m.

Didn't JG or somebody from the magazine recently comment on the FR-S oilpan/engine issues talking about how important it was to avoid jumping to conclusions before all of the facts are known? And yet..."Grindr sponsors the first openly gay NHRA Pro driver" seems like it could've been the headline here, rather than implying a low level hate crime without all of the facts.

The NHRA doesn't get a lot of spotlight or discussion here, but they've been a leader in inclusion and diversity for a very long time. They've had female, African American and Hispanic drivers become popular champions at the highest levels. Like every organization, I'm sure they could do better but they don't have a track record of bigotry like some other series do.

They also give fans unprecedented access to the pits. Anybody with a ticket to the event can be within arms reach of the haulers, crews, drivers and their stuff. Restricting that fan access seems like it would be a bad thing for the sport, so the best solution is to take responsibility for your stuff.

It seems like this guy recently got his full NHRA license, and had previously been unsponsored. So I'm not sure it's accurate to say that Grindr came to the rescue when his gear was stolen. It seems like he'd been looking for sponsorship for a long time, and they smartly recognized the opportunity once he was able to compete at the highest level. The event in Pomona where the gear disappeared was the season opener back in late February. Would it really have taken them months to set up sponsorship after his stuff was stolen? That whole story seems like a sympathy play to me. The real story is that the sport's first openly gay man secured the sponsorship necessary to compete at the highest level, not that it was some response to having his gear stolen.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/18/22 12:24 p.m.

Drag Racing

*snicker*

I am such a 12yo inside.

Good on Grindr for stepping up.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/18/22 12:38 p.m.

Not what I expected from the title, thought maybe someone was spotted with the gear on a profile. Good for him I guess.

Ah yes, fighting hatred with hatred.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/18/22 12:46 p.m.
STM317 said:

I don't see how the title "Lost race gear? Grindr to the rescue" somehow implies a low level hate crime.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/18/22 12:47 p.m.
RevRico said:

Ah yes, fighting hatred with hatred.

How is that fighting hatred with hatred?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/18/22 12:58 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I guess we're supposed to hug our way out of hate.

Paradox of Tolerance

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/18/22 1:27 p.m.
93EXCivic said:
STM317 said:

The title alone doesn't. But bringing up the stolen gear in the context does. The gear was stolen months ago. This guy has been working hard to find a sponsor since last year, and Grindr came on board recently (months after the gear was stolen). The quote from the driver doesn't mention anything about gear at all. They seem like unrelated events to me, which is not what the title indicates.

Consider how different this comment section might've been if the article only talked about the current news story (Gay man lands sponsorship) instead of including the gear that was taken. Shame on the person that stole the stuff, especially if it was because of this guy's sexuality. But instead of simply celebrating this guy's groundbreaking achievement and good news, we're down here arguing because the article mentioned the stolen gear without adding that that happened months ago and is likely unrelated to the new found sponsorship. It feels like a click-baity, forced narrative rather than simply celebrating a milestone.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/18/22 1:43 p.m.
RevRico said:

Ah yes, fighting hatred with hatred.

Pointing out and fighting hate is not, in itself, hatred. You do not have to accept someone domineering and hating others in order to be a tolerant person.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/18/22 1:46 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

That time gap between sponsorship and the theft of his gear does change things a bit. I stand by my "berkeley bigots" stance though wink

Cheers to Travis for scoring his sponsorship. Visibility for historically marginalized groups is awesome, and it's hard to get more visible than a Grindr-emblazoned top fuel dragster.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/18/22 2:14 p.m.
RevRico said:

Ah yes, fighting hatred with hatred.

Hey man, Grandpop flew in the war because you don't beat the enemy with love and policy changes. Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty.  If you don't want to thats fine but please step aside for those that don't mind it.

Tree of liberty, blood of tyrants and patriots, etc etc.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/22 2:20 p.m.

I think the major reason people get away with hatred is others not pointing out that it's wrong.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/18/22 2:27 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
RevRico said:

Ah yes, fighting hatred with hatred.

Tree of liberty, blood of tyrants and patriots, etc etc.

Did anyone try asking them nicely to stop?

/S in case anyone missed it

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/22 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I attended 1 NASCAR event and heard the N-er word thrown around in such a casual manner that I started getting anxious and uneasy. Even kids. People used it as a common insult to even non-black folks. Did anyone call me that word directly, not that day.... But I never went to another NASCAR event and the backlash from the banning of the Confederate flag reinforced my experience. Do I think every NASCAR fan is a racist or that NASCAR is racist haven? No. But its just easier to avoid the entire thing rather than gamble with my peace or mental well being. It's tiring and I'm tired.

Perception is everything, I know. Unfortunately, some people get the bad end of the bigotry more than others. That will shape your perception and reality of things in certain enviroments.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/18/22 3:19 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

As someone who has worked in the oval-track industry, and in the NASCAR pits, unfortunately, I, too, have heard the N word thrown around quite liberally and I've seen and heard stories of blatant racism. It's definitely gotten better over the years. The old guard has begun to die off. NASCAR and society have made it fairly clear that kind of language and attitude won't be tolerated. However, it's been a slow go to bring real change.

Just because a sanctioning body - or any organization - says they welcome all, it doesn't mean that the individuals that are a part of that group embrace that philosophy. Ultimately, you can't change others, but you can change yourself. I hope we all consider the fact that we all serve as ambassadors of our favorite pastimes, whether that's racing, cars or whatever other favorite activity you enjoy. The first impression someone has on that activity could be what you or me or someone else you know does - so make it a good one.

To yupididit - I'm sorry to hear of your experience, but I'm glad you shared that uneasy situation. Some are unaware of what goes on, but we need to recognize that it does happen.

8/18/22 3:34 p.m.
93EXCivic said:
STM317 said:

As the guy who wrote the headline, I'd have to agree.

Dude's gear stolen.

Dude gets help.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/18/22 4:22 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Can I ask how the stolen stuff is relevant enough now to merit bringing up? When I google this guy's name and "stolen", the first dozen or so results are all headlines celebrating how he's breaking barriers this month. There's no mention of stolen items in his quote that you used, or the Out Motorsports article about him that you alluded to and quoted.

The only place that I've found anything about his stolen stuff was his social media back on Feb 20:

Somebody stole a duffel bag out of a rental car in the pits. I'm honestly not sure if that makes it more or less likely to be a targeted attack, but regardless of the intent behind stealing the stuff, that was months ago. The news now, is that he's doing what no other gay man or woman has done thanks to generous and appropriate sponsorship that he worked hard to earn. That story gets downplayed a bit when you bring up the old news about his stolen stuff, so I'm curious what the motivation is for even mentioning that.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/22 5:30 p.m.
Stampie said:

I couldn't agree more. Accountability is what is needed to create change. I compare it to someone who is north of 300 lb stating to make lifestyle changes, but being resistant to the idea of a personal trainer. They like the idea of losing weight via lifestyle changes, but they don't want to be held accountable for doing so. So they live their life the same and face the same issues without change month after month fueled by ignorance that the status quo is acceptable. Rarely will they actually make the need to changes to result in a positive outcome until after they face a harsh reality, such as a heart attack. Often people that commit petty crime, and non-violent hate fueled crime is the pettiest, won't change until an introduction to the criminal justice system that includes a brief stay in government sponsored housing. And it's the lack of accountability and not having the spine change that fuels both situations.

One can only hope that a mirror being shown to such people can assist them in seeing the ugly reality prompting change prior to them finding a deeper bottom.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/18/22 6:13 p.m.
STM317 said:

Can I ask how the stolen stuff is relevant enough now to merit bringing up?

Dude got a bunch of new stuff after having his old stuff stolen. Seems like a pretty good story arc?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/18/22 6:16 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Likely the post got him on someone in HRs radar

"Hey boss, you wanted us to get into new markets? Look at this  "

alfadriver
alfadriver GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/22 7:11 p.m.

Can I add some levity?  When I saw the title, I thought transmission gear, and it made sense that a gear grinder was called  Grindr.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/18/22 8:43 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie said:

I sure don't see what being fat has to compare itself to theft.  A fat guy is not hurting anyone other than himself and his health insurance carrier.  A thief specifically hurts other people.

But, it's perfectly fine to target fat people, because, you know, funny.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/18/22 8:58 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to STM317 :

Likely the post got him on someone in HRs radar

"Hey boss, you wanted us to get into new markets? Look at this  "

In the social media world, a company like Grindr could've had that stuff replaced in days and enjoyed the good PR. The gear was stolen during the first event of the year, and they're now 2/3 of the way through the season when his sponsorship begins. There's zero evidence in anything provided here or elsewhere that I can find that the missing gear had anything to do with his new sponsorship. They seem unrelated.

I think the sponsorship is clever, and I'm happy to see barriers being broken. I just don't really see that the stolen stuff is relevant or makes the current news story better. If anything I think that it derails the discussion away from this guy's achievement. There are plenty of opportunities to talk about the million ways that human beings can be awful toward each other. This was a chance to talk about something pretty awesome and uplifting instead, and it was steered away from that by bringing up the stolen goods.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/18/22 9:14 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:
STM317 said:

Can I ask how the stolen stuff is relevant enough now to merit bringing up?

He got a lot more than new gear though. He was unsponsored and running in a lower class when his stuff was stolen. This new sponsorship means he'll race in Top Fuel. The sponsorship is the big deal here, because that's the key that opened the door to the highest level of drag racing. And having that opportunity and platform is the groundbreaking part of all of this. The way the story is presented, it seems like the company heard about the stolen items and replaced them. But I haven't seen anything outside of this story to suggest that to be the case. And that's burying the lede, which in my opinion distracts from the man's achievement and focuses on how people suck instead.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/19/22 7:56 a.m.

In a sport where sponsorship (or lack thereof) often dictates a driver's success more than actual driving skill, I'm glad this turn of events led to him getting a sponsor. If said sponsor gets a bunch of ignorant people spinning in circles, even better.  Anyone who's spent time at a drag strip knows that diversity and inclusion are not a given.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/19/22 8:16 a.m.
STM317 said:
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to STM317 :

Likely the post got him on someone in HRs radar

"Hey boss, you wanted us to get into new markets? Look at this  "

Replacing the stuff could have been a matter of days, not disagreeing there.

That's not the sponsorship, though.  The sponsorship took him from your average semi-pro drag racer and put him in Top Fuel.  That isn't something that is done in a few days, hiring the team, finding the chassis, building the car, etc etc.  The time frame from Feb to now seems somewhat reasonable to expect that it might take 6ish months to build a team.

They might have reached out to him shortly after his stuff was stolen and asked that he not announce till it was ready.

Not saying this is what happened, just saying its a plausible answer that someone saw his post and brought it up to the boss and that started the whole thing snowballing.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/19/22 10:02 a.m.

So being PC is still the highest virtue one can achieve!  Awesome.  Lots of people throw around the an word casually, yet no one ever complains about it until it happens at a NASCAR event for example.

You want to know why this story stinks?  Theft and sexual preference are not related in any way.  Everyone is reaching to make a connection in order to be more PC.  It also has nothing to do with being a capable drag racer.

I'm sure I will be berated shortly for not being PC enough.  I'd expect nothing less in this day and age.  We can discuss other non-related things too if you'd like such as Ferrari engineering and the price of tea in China.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/19/22 12:13 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
STM317 said:
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to STM317 :

Likely the post got him on someone in HRs radar

"Hey boss, you wanted us to get into new markets? Look at this  "

Replacing the stuff could have been a matter of days, not disagreeing there.

It's also plausible that the sponsorship was simply the result of this guy and his team working hard to find a sponsor for the last year, and that it's completely unrelated to him being victimized months ago.

I'm leaning toward that being the case since I still haven't seen anything in other media or the guy's own social media to indicate that his Grindr sponsorship came as the result of his stuff getting stolen.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/22 12:27 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

What's PC about treating others as you'd like them to treat you?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/22 12:39 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Anthony, no.

People have/do complain in every environment that the N'er word being thrown around. Sometimes and often it gets ignored or swept under. I myself just do not choose to list everywhere. But, I've heard it at NASCAR events, military workspaces (said by people in prominent positions), parks, hospitals, schools, church, everywhere really. No level of racism surprises me anymore, its almost expected.

It isn't about being PC just to achieve whatever level of virtue that you're referring to. I know that you have an issue with possibly getting backlash for your point of views and thoughts. From reading your post on GRM I can tell that much. In my opinion just say what you really feel and do not worry about the backlash, be YOU! If people don't like it then just roll with whatever comes afterwards. At least you stayed true to yourself no matter who thinks you're wrong/right. I would hate to be a part of a community where I cant say what I honestly feel and think. I might get removed from that community but that's fine because that just means our values didn't align well enough for me to stay.

I'm not saying that you're racist or anything but I appreciate an open racist more than I do a closet racist who fears the backlash of his personal beliefs. It's also okay to be wrong.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/19/22 1:28 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

What's PC about treating others as you'd like them to treat you?

Absolutely nothing.  We are making pizza Sunday.  We are having our gay friend Sam over for pizza?  What does that have to do with cars or racing?  Nothing.  People spend way to much effort trying to make everything about politically correct causes.  It ruins everything.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/19/22 1:35 p.m.
yupididit said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Anthony, no.

Your first point.  No people use the N word all the time in movies and music and no one complains about it.

I hate racism as much or more than most.  It is quite honestly the lowest form of intelligence.  Hating someone based on their parents whom they didn't get to choose is the ultimate in idiocy.

And yes while some in here truly care, a lot of people are posting just for social credit.  Pandering to be politically correct is the new cool.  I'd rather be fair, true to myself and uncool in that case.

Very few here care about the NHRA.  It is rarely posted about.  Now the NHRA gets lumped in with racism and bigotry of all kinds and associated with NASCAR for a story.  I find that odd and don't mind saying so.  It doesn't fit the theme of this place unless the tie is via political correctness.  That's the only connection I see.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/22 2:13 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

If you're referring to the two different words that ends with -ga and -er as one in the same then....I wont go into the obvious and cultural differences between the N'ga and N'er terms and their usage/intent because explaining it just isn't going to do anything for this thread, me or you. Plus, its not my responsibility to educate everyone.

I don't think this thread nor the article was reaching for political correctness as their message from the story. I also do not see any attempts at being politically correct. I think you injected that into this thread based on your dislike of PC'ness.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/19/22 2:55 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

We should acknowledge that we don't know why the driver's gear was stolen in the first place.  My electric scooter got stolen from my paddock at the race track last month, and there was no obvious motive other than somebody wanting my stuff.  No matter what the motives are, thieves suck.

But to accuse posters here that are supportive of the driver as posturing for "social credit" is completely misguided.  Then to not understand the obvious power dynamics that surround words like "N" and how saying it to a stranger at the track might be different than someone from that social group saying it in a song... wow.  Many posters, myself included, have direct and relevant experience with all sorts of racist, sexism, homophobia, and general bigotry at the track.  I could fill a book with appalling things I've heard or seen from people at the track, many of whom I barely know and often with a wink and a nudge like "you're one of US, right?"  I happen to be a middle aged white guy and there are lots of other middle aged white guys who view the track as their safe space to express some pretty toxic views to their peers.  I participate in the sport because I like cars and competition, and often despite this social dynamic.  I hate it.  You know how people will say "with all due respect..." then proceed to say something completely disrespectful?  That's exactly how I feel when people go on about "political correctness".  You're free to disagree with people and to express your views, but you're not free from how they might view you, or the consequences of your words.

Is being "cool" having an open mind?  Being willing to listen as well as talk?  Being willing to grow and change your views?  Having empathy, understanding that words have power, knowing the difference between right and wrong?  If so, I very much want to be "cool" and don't want to be "uncool".

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
8/19/22 6:20 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Edit: to be clear, the assumed bigots here are the people who stole his gear.

Give me a break racing equipment etc getting stolen is common many times that's stuff is worth money people want to sell it to make money. I had a friend a few years who's fire suit got stolen from her dads truck it was a nascar replica fire suit.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/19/22 8:41 p.m.

Im just glad to see Grindr sponsoring a Pro race team and driver who is gay, and im glad to see that the racing orgs loosened up enough to even let such a sponsor in the game.

It would be cool too if people on this forum could stop trying to fight over every berkin post. Thanks

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/20/22 1:52 a.m.

The story is pretty unclear.  What does "But the community came to the rescue" mean? What community, and what rescue is being referring to?  It doesn't seem like he was "rescued" at all considering the results being referring to did not happen until mid-season.  Clearly he had to have gear for the first part of the season, so he didn't really need rescuing.  It's would be kind of like the fire department "rescuing" you a week after the fire was out.

Grindr sponsoring him is certainly a great promotion for him.  I am not sure I would refer to Grindr as a "community" though. They are an organization that makes money in a specific community, but I don't know if that makes them a representative of it.  The social app community?

There is also the possibility (that no one has mentioned) that an overly exuberant fan stole his gear (which would be a pretty good target for a fan)

Realistically it sounds like a simple crime of opportunity (especially considering the thief likely did not know exactly what they were stealing since it was in a bag) that may have brought the driver publicity that helped him get a good sponsorship.

Or... maybe he's just a good driver that deserves a sponsorship and got one.

I certainly wish him well.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/20/22 4:10 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

You are correct.  I do dislike PCness.  I don't see where a slight variation of a word makes it all that different either.  It's used often and no one cares.  I didn't here it at the last NASCAR race I attended but that was a long time ago.  I can find it on the TV or radio easily enough.  I can also find video of it being used in politics far too often.  Context matters a lot with words but no one cares about that either.  That's my real issue with this thread and PCness in general.  It's all about pretending to care to gain social credit with others usually on social media but sometimes in group settings.  It's rarely genuine. It's just en vogue.

Im sure crap is stolen at NHRA events all the time and no one ever makes a story about that.  The world is full of awful people doing awful things.  Pretending to care when it's popular doesn't make anyone a good person.  And quite frankly, I'm sick of pretending and accommodating the people that do it.

Pick a problem any problem, and the above will always be true.  This forum is littered with posts of poor human behavior and people trying to assign it to some PC cause or excuse to be more PC. Few actually universally care about any issue.  I hate thieves period.  I don't care what they stole or who they stole it from.  I don't assign the victim special credit based on someone else's or their own issues either.  I also don't give the thief any slack based on their perceived social injustices.  F all that PC nonsense.  It's made the world a crap place.  It'll make this forum one too if it continues.  The slippery slope is real and most of the world is in free fall on it. You don't have to join them or pretend it's cool.  You can call BS what it is and be more fair, more equitable and more inclusive.  Forcing and faking fairness, equity and inclusivity isn't genuine and it only makes things worse.

I don't enjoy watching woman beaters wearing pink to celebrate breast cancer awareness either.  Do we all want to continue pretending that's cool too?

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/20/22 7:13 a.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

This.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/20/22 5:25 p.m.

I would agree that the arguing is not generally productive (kind of by definition) but DISCUSSING things is very useful (not meant to imply anyone would disagree with this), and very much needed in todays media market. Is disputing what is reported arguing?  It certainly doesn't have to be. It's usually the tangents that become the arguments.

This article is actually a great example of why discussion is useful.  If I only read that article only, I would have a completely different idea of what went on.  Because of the discussion in this thread, I think I have a much better perspective on what probably actually happened (many times it will be hard to know an exact truth of course).

Sadly, this "discussion" (research really) should have happen on the journalism side. The consumers of the material really should not be the ones who have to do that.

Even if this article was a bit more clear, discussing it would still be useful to explore aspect it brings up (e.g. people giving example of what they have seen or experienced). I don't think anyone would disagree with this.

The difference between discussion and argument?  They are similar but I think it can be said an argument will generally upset everyone involved and is far less likely to result in a common gain of knowledge/ understanding.

How do we avoid arguments?  Obviously, disputing an idea, and not the person is one.  Making an effort to acknowledge and see the perspective of others is useful.

That said, I am not even sure how much of this thread is really arguing, mostly tangents.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/22 6:49 p.m.
aircooled said:

How do we avoid arguments?

Hugs.  Definitely hugs.  If everyone hugged someone before talking to them there wouldn't be any arguments.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/20/22 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

i suggested previously that if people want to argue or fight, they can, but they must disrobe and do it naked.  It would stop a good 99% of arguing/fighting.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/22 7:36 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Oh I'm with you.  I remember when my ex and I were having problems.  We had a good night of sex one night and the next day I told her that it's hard to get mad at someone that you're berkeleying.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
8/20/22 8:07 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Mostly from laughter...

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/20/22 9:55 p.m.
Stampie said:
aircooled said:

How do we avoid arguments?

With all that man hugging you'll spread teh Monkey Pox.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/22 10:21 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

I was told that it's underhanded to trip someone.

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
8/21/22 11:32 a.m.

Drag racing is a very "Social" sport.

They don't spend much time racing, so other topics weigh heavier in the mix....

ADHuIWS4uZdQkbG3AQizq6LRKLWdJnESzErTCwERa1S0LEJvmSFjvehhVf1kVt5s