Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 or six-speed Cadillac CTS-V wagon? | Choose your $99,000 fighter

David S.
By David S. Wallens
Jan 10, 2022 | Cadillac, Porsche, 911, Mecum, CTS-V

Let’s say that you have a hundred grand burning a hole in your pocket. Do you buy a one-of-one Cadillac CTS-V wagon or a 3.2-liter Porsche 911 Carrera?

Both fetched $99,000 at this week’s Mecum sale in Kissimmee, Florida. The event runs through January 16.

So, the CTS-V. Yes, this 2014 Cadillac CTS-V was the unicorn: wagon, sunroof delete and fitted with a six-speed stick.

Color was Mocha Steel Metallic which, to fully pull off the unicorn wish list, almost looked brown. (And we mean “brown” in a good way because everyone knows that brown wagons are the coolest.)

From the listing:

1 of 1 with factory sunroof delete

1 of 2 finished in Mocha Steel Metallic and Manual transmission

The car presented very well, and the only mod listed was a Borla exhaust.

Mecum also got $99,000 for a 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera: white over red and 78,000 miles on the odometer. According to the listing, the engine had recently been rebuilt to the tune of $13,600. We didn’t observe any smoke on start-up.

While the Porsche looked clean, we’ve seen cleaner. Plus the carpet dash topper left us wondering what was hiding. And why the modern, silver head unit right there in the dash? More period-correct options exist.

Yet, still, we watched someone pay $99,000 for this one.

The questions here: If you had the scratch, which one would have come home with you? Think there’s any upside left in these two cars? Or how would you spend $100,000 if set loose at an auction? (And if you need a shopping guide, just let us know.)

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Cadillac, Porsche, 911, Mecum and CTS-V news.
Comments
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/10/22 12:45 p.m.

OK, all car prices are nuts these days, but what are they putting in the free water bottles at these auctions?  Even allowing for auction fever, these were both way overpriced unless they are beyond immaculate AND have an interesting history like being a verified pace car, or appearing in X, or having belonged to Y etc.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/22 1:24 p.m.

Uh, neither? You can pick up a 996 Turbo for $60K, or a CTS-V sedan, or hell just about anything at $99K is cooler. Tell me more about that Javelin...

calteg
calteg Dork
1/10/22 2:23 p.m.

Pretty sure a stick shift CTS-V wagon just went for $65k on cars and bids last week. Not sure a sunroof delete is a $35,000 add, but hey, I also haven't ever spent more than $25,000 on a vehicle in my life

dps214
dps214 Dork
1/10/22 2:43 p.m.

Yeah both of those are $60-70k cars at most, even in the current ridiculous market. And we think the people buying stuff from BaT are insane, this kind of thing makes the BaT sales look like good deals.

1/10/22 4:14 p.m.

The Mecum sale is still going on with the Porsche prices kind of all over the map as there have been some deals, too.

1972 Porsche 914 for $17,600. Even though it's a 1.7L car, still seems like a fair price considering how 914 prices have been on the move.

2000 Porsche Boxster for $25,300. Do we like the GT3-like front bumper? Is this the new norm for an S?

1979 Porsche 911 SC Targa for $29,700. In light of the 3.2 Carrera sale, this one seems fair. I didn't see the car in person.

1989 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 for $101,200. Yeah, that seems pricey for a C4.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/22 4:30 p.m.

If anyone wants to buy my equally silver 2000 Boxster S for $24,995, you can have it!

I know it's low miles, but $25K for a common as dirt 986S seems crazy even in today's market.

1/10/22 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Is the new norm for a Boxster S at auction?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/22 4:57 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Javelin :

Is the new norm for a Boxster S at auction?

I sure don't think so.

11,800 miles, $20K.

40,000 miles tasteful non-S, $16K.

20,000 mile perfect S, $25K.

So a 40K mile modified S going for $25K seems pretty high considering what you can get elsewhere.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/10/22 5:02 p.m.
dps214 said:

Mecum and Barrett are all about the freak show. Rich guys go to flex on each other. Problem is that happens, and some goober with a slush box gen1 with a toasted diff thinks it's worth 30k as a result.

parker
parker Reader
1/10/22 7:16 p.m.

Neither.  I loved my air cooled 911 but it's not a $100k car.  I don't get the whole wagon thing at all.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
1/10/22 8:39 p.m.

OK, even with red interior.  Wait, really?  >RED< interior?!?!  But still, white with white Fuchs and the Carrera tail is a super-hot thing.

The other one is just a large container of GM quality.  And will depreciate as such.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/10/22 8:49 p.m.

Car prices are insane all around.  The GT3 front for the Boxster is pretty rare.  It's the same as the actual 996.1 GT3 part.  I have one with the side skirts and rear wing to install on my Boxster S.  The aero kit is rare on 911s, on Boxsters I've only seen them in photos, never factory ordered in person.  Mine is a factory aero kit, but not factory installed.  I need to get it painted and installed.  I paid just under $10k for my '00 Boxster S and I don't think they are easy to find at that price anymore.

I really don't think any current cars or used cars are worth the prices they bring which has me not buying anything in a long time (which is odd for me).  I'd love to find an NB2 Miata, a FRC Vette or a GMT400 stepside short bed truck for a good price.  The only tempting one I've seen lately sold before I had a chance to see it.

For $70k, I'd totally go 996 turbo. For $90k probably a 996 GT3.  And both of those were $50k and $75k two years ago, so I probably wouldn't do it anyway.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/10/22 8:58 p.m.

This makes me feel like a 18th century French peasant wondering about the furnishings at Versailles.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/10/22 9:11 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Dare I say it. That looks like a good deal. If I had the money I'd honestly be interested in that car, although I'd swap the engine cover for a slick back.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
1/10/22 11:23 p.m.

Yeah, that black '79 targa seems almost reasonable.  Also agreed with Adrian about a swap to a slick rear decklid.  Ooh, and some silver Phone Dials!

STM317
STM317 UberDork
1/11/22 5:37 a.m.
DWNSHFT said:

But are they depreciating?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
1/11/22 7:42 a.m.
STM317 said:
DWNSHFT said:

But are they depreciating?

On a long enough timeline, all cars will depreciate to zero.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/11/22 9:33 a.m.

While the whole used car market is insane right now, Porsches in particular have gone absolutely bananas.   I guess this just continues on a longer term trend that's been going on for years, but at this point I feel like the value proposition is so much better on so many other cars.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/11/22 10:22 a.m.

Ridiculous prices for those two

IF I had a hundred grand (lol) - 993 911 with tens of thousands left over to pay down my house even more.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/22 10:25 a.m.

I dislike white cars as much as I like 911s s and there's nothing about that particular one that makes it extra special to me so, I'd take the Caddy if I had to choose between the two of them.

Really though, I can't picture myself ever paying that kind of money for a street car.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 11:13 a.m.

That is just stupid money for those cars but it only takes two people that had to have them. Or as people have speculated for years there may be other nefarious reasons for select cars selling for way more than they should. In this market it does not raise as much speculation.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/11/22 4:52 p.m.

I'll take the Cadillac but I'd rather have the cash and buy a beaterish example of it for half the $ :)

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/12/22 7:51 a.m.

Having no personal experience with either, hard to say...  Probably the 911 as it seems like one of those would be more fun as weekend toy at mostly sedate speeds than a CTS-V.

Of course, there are plenty of ways I'd rather spend $100K, but that wasn't the question.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/12/22 10:11 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

You know, I agree with you on the phone dials too.  Love Fuchs on long hoods, but short hoods look right on phone dials to me as well.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
1/12/22 11:12 a.m.
parker said:

You either get it or you don't.

I'd give up my Van, the Mini, and one Harley for a nice CTS-V 6speed wagon!  :^)

1/13/22 12:56 p.m.

Some of it, I get, might just be flex, too.

"I have a CTS-V."

"So do I."

"Mine's a wagon."

"With a stick."

"It's brown."

"And no sunroof."

parker
parker Reader
1/14/22 10:11 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Some of it, I get, might just be flex, too.

"I have a CTS-V."

"So do I."

"Mine's a wagon."

"With a stick."

"It's brown."

"And no sunroof."

Stick and no sunroof = cool

Wagon and brown?  Um, no thanks.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
1/14/22 10:30 a.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

Same, but I would like a sunroof.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/14/22 11:57 a.m.

Cleveland Power and Performance did a Manual Swapped SRT8 Magnum wagon that had 630HP. I am kind of wondering what that would go for now, with that $99k Caddy.

Wj4aRJpvsKbaqnENsO3Ky1Y9YFw97pYsQRcw3MSdQAiEEqWycveeqThAe7mJefh3