Warning!!! Danger to Manifold | The Fast & The Furious Eclipse for sale

David S.
By David S. Wallens
Jan 14, 2022 | Mitsubishi, Mecum, Fast & Furious, Ecplise

Photography Credit: David S. Wallens

Whether it’s your guilty pleasure or the greatest movie ever, there’s no denying the impact of The Fast & the Furious. It launched one of the biggest Hollywood franchises–21 years since that first release and still going strong–while pushing car culture to the masses.

One of the machines that started it all is Brian O'Conner’s bright-green Eclipse.

Several bright-green Eclipses were used for shooting, with one poised to cross the Mecum auction block this Friday. Estimate is $75,000 to $125,000.

Movie icon up there with the Bullitt Mustang (maybe?) or too silly for your tastes?

Discuss.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Mitsubishi, Mecum, Fast & Furious and Ecplise news.
More like this
Comments
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/12/22 11:44 a.m.

That thing is just as ugly now as it was then. The first gen was much better.

The Jetta and Maxima? were odd choices for the rest of the group. Now the RX7, that was cool, just take off the silly graphics.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/12/22 12:03 p.m.

Like it or not ,  its iconic. A hero car to a generation of car kids.

johndej
johndej Dork
1/12/22 12:16 p.m.

I'd project a bit higher than that for an estimate. It's not a 90s halo car but it's the first car driven by the main character so figured that'd go pretty far in terms of being an iconic movie car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 12:28 p.m.

Does it still have the exotic 29-speed gearbox which must be double-clutched when drag racing? I assume that the mad scientist re-ringed the engine and also replaced the lost floor panel?

In any case I'd be shocked if it went for less than $250k and not surprised if it went into the 7-digits.

1/12/22 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Car kids? smiley

It still blows me away that F&F came out 21 years ago. Dang.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/12/22 2:07 p.m.

Looks like a stock 420A under the hood. No wonder the drag race seemed to take two minutes.

1/12/22 2:29 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

But back then, things didn't happen as quickly. Yeah, no turbo.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/12/22 2:50 p.m.

The Game Stop generation might have the silly money to spend on that.

tomtomgt356 (Tommy)
tomtomgt356 (Tommy) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/12/22 2:58 p.m.
Noddaz said:

The Game Stop generation might have the silly to spend on that.

No, cause they only got $0.50 for the $1,000 worth of games they traded in.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
1/12/22 3:31 p.m.
tomtomgt356 (Tommy) said:
Noddaz said:

The Game Stop generation might have the silly to spend on that.

No, cause they only got $0.50 for the $1,000 worth of games they traded in.

Gamestop video game holders vs. Gamestop stock holders yields a very different possibility in this case ;)

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/12/22 11:35 p.m.

The director of the first movie wrote a series of blogs about the cars used in that movie. It was pretty interesting. The car choices were very much about budget and what they could get their hands on from what I remember. I think the maxima was actually his daily driver. I can't remember the site where those blogs were posted.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/13/22 12:54 a.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

He's done abunch of videos on YouTube chronicling the cars.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/22 6:39 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

The selection of cars originally having some crap was the most realistic part of the entire movie series. Think about your car buddies, do all of them actually drive hero cars? Or is there some crap mixed in (heavily)?

There's always a balance amongst friends that are actual organic friends. Some may have a skyline, others may have a clapped out B13. It's like the sandlot, for every MLB player, there's several Squeeks

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/22 6:49 a.m.
johndej said:

Not only the main character, but the character whose actor tragically died not too long ago.  Death always jacks up the price

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/13/22 7:31 a.m.
GTwannaB said:

Craig Lieberman. Wasnt the director but one of the guys hired to find the "talent"(cars for the movie).

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
1/13/22 10:07 a.m.

If not now, in the future, this is going to bring big $$$.  It defined a generation of gearheads.

Name another car from the last 25 years, that's as significant to "movie car culture" as this one .  (excluding other F & F cars)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/22 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Eleanor?

Audi from Transporter?

At least half of Mad Max's cars?

Lightning McQueen and Mater?

Depends on what you mean by "significant to movie car culture" I guess.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/13/22 10:24 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

The only thing I can think of is the Elenor Mustang from Nick Cage's Gone in 60 Seconds.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/13/22 10:49 a.m.

No love for the red WRX in Baby Driver? (stunt driven by a forum member i believe)

Or, the Mach 1 from the first John Wyck movie?

Or Iron Man's various Audis (Movies 1, 3 and Endgame)  and his lone NSX (Avengers i think)

Or the future Audi from i Robot,  even the future Lexus from Minority Report.

I think i watch too many movies...

1/13/22 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I'd agree that, along with the silver Elanor, the Eclipse one of the most significant movie hero cars from the past 25 years. F&F was a blockbuster that didn't just feature a car but revolved around cars--and we just don't get many movies like that these days.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/13/22 1:17 p.m.

The Audi in transporter or the WRX in baby driver etc - theyre just 'regular' cars, nothing special or makes them stand out. Something like this is 'rare,' for better or worse reasons. It's iconic, unlike the other two I mentioned earlier, because it looks different and actually was a key role/part of the movie. Yes, Id argue the two others mentioned here were not.

1/14/22 9:42 a.m.

So the Eclipse goes on sale today. Final guesses to sale price?

You can watch the live feed on the Mecum site. Amazing that someone can talk that quickly. (A 1997 Camaro SS convertible just sold for $17k.)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/14/22 9:56 a.m.

$320,000

1/14/22 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

$1

(Sorry, someone had to say it.)

1/14/22 10:03 a.m.

Nice 1987 AMC Eagle wagon (wood-grain trim) just sold for $32k.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/14/22 11:02 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
1/14/22 11:05 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So the Eclipse goes on sale today. Final guesses to sale price?

$550,000

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
1/14/22 11:13 a.m.

I'm loving the jokes in this thread!

Eleanor was a MUCH more significant car to me at that time. I hardly remember that stupid Eclipse. I remember the Supra from that movie more, even the Maxima as it did a FWD burnout in anger!

In general, I remember how dumb most of the cars were in that movie. It was why I never really enjoyed it, despite being a car guy in my teens.

Not that any of that matters. Someone will spend $350k on that POS.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/14/22 11:53 a.m.

It's odd that the Eclipse would be "hero" status. It was only in the first movie and only a couple of scenes. The real *hero" seems to be the Charger as it keeps coming back each time, although very modified.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/22 12:24 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I don't think that car's significant at all. The original Eleanor, sure. But the remake was just a bad body kit on a classic Mustang. It looked dated even in the day. I think the only thing that made it at all significant was the marketing involved in the selling of replicas.

I agree that Dom's Charger is more significant than this Eclipse. The Eclipse was disposable, the Charger was not.

Most significant movie car in the past 21 years? No question. This car has inspired far more new enthusiasts than any other.

The oldest of those kids are buying their first cars now (probably a couple of years ago, actually). You've gotta think this is influencing their tastes :)

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/22 1:11 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

My son was adamant that I buy a red race car, because he's 3 and loves Lightning McQueen.

The original F&F movie came out just after I turned 18, so I was probably the target audience, and while I did see it in theatre, it certainly didn't influence my automotive tastes.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/14/22 2:07 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Nick Cage wasn't in the Gone in 60 Seconds I saw, and Eleanor was a yellow '71 Mustang. The big one.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/22 2:36 p.m.

Nobody goes to sleep in an Eleanor or F&F bed at night.

Mia and Tia definitely confirm that it's Lightening who is the answer.

1/14/22 2:41 p.m.

1963 Corvette Z06 currently hovering around $2.5 million.

1/14/22 2:49 p.m.

It's 2:50 here in Florida, and Mecum is up to lot F160. The Eclipse is lot F170. So getting closer.

1/14/22 3:16 p.m.

Sold: $155,000 plus buyer's premium--10% if there, 12% if on phone or internet.

johndej
johndej Dork
1/14/22 3:51 p.m.

Happy to see it pulled above the estimates... I'm tempted to see how it trends in value like say the Bullit mustang vs others.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)  / Keith Tanner :

Dom's charger is very much important to the ultimate story, but the Eclipse (and Supra) were essential to the style/tone for the first movie

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/22 4:37 p.m.

I have a Hot Wheels version of this car I got for a forum member.  It's still in the box and both my kids keep trying to take it.

Without this car and the Supra there probably is no F&F series.  Honestly without the series, Supras are probably 25% or more cheaper too.

1/14/22 5:14 p.m.

I have one, too, but it needs detailing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/22 6:36 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

The Eclipse was part of the style for sure, but it could have been any of the import tooner cars. It's like they walked through the lot of cars for the movie and said "that one should show up well onscreen". And IIRC wasn't it just handed over to Paul Walker's character from the siezed vehicles or something? It was basically a set of fancy clothes.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
1/15/22 1:04 a.m.

I think the Eclipse was a smart choice back then- it was one of the few entry level tuner cars that could run with the more expensive cars. Of course the implementation left a lot to be desired. I was big info DSM's back when the movie came out, I owned a 1G Talon, a 2G Eclipse GSX, and a Galant VR4. I knew dozens of owners locally, hundreds nationwide. I can think of maybe two people who significantly modded the looks of their cars, and neither were on the same cringeworthy level of the F and F Eclipse. I do remember seeing more after the movie, but most of those were non turbo  show cars with very little attention to performance.

This just reminded me of a funny story- shortly after the EVO came out, Mitsubishi wanted to make a commercial featuring their customer's modded cars. They set up a meet at Road Race Engineering, a performance shop that built rally cars and race cars. Most of their customers were performance oriented, the only cars with stickers and stripes were real race cars. Doing the suspension didn't mean slamming the car, it meant making it handle jumps (which they tested over a hump in the parking lot.) Quite a few show cars turned up at the meet. One was way over the top- huge body kit, sitting on the ground, and a paint job that you needed sun glasses to look at. It was the opposite of a race car, with more power in the stereo than under the hood. Mitsubishi wanted to get footage of it on the shops lift. But it wouldn't even make it up the standard driveway, it had to be lifted off it's suspension by a bunch of guys- to get it on a lift usually occupied by rally cars.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
1/15/22 5:33 p.m.

Y'all talking about the Eleanor mustang are forgetting that Mustangs were already iconic cars when that movie came out. The first fast & furious movie practically created the import tuner scene, or at least expanded it exponentially. I remember when it came out--I was 19 and had a Ford probe with flames painted on the front (lol) and me and my buddies all went to see it. None of us had mustangs or camaros, so we were glad to see cars like what we drove on the big screen. The parking lot was absolutely crammed full of riced out civics, and when the movie was over, all of them were driving like shiny happy people, in full gearhead mode.

I'm 40 now and have owned quite a few awesome cars, including an E39 M5 and a Porsche 911, and I will absolutely say that this movie, however horribly cringy it is now, really helped get a lot of people into cars.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/15/22 6:12 p.m.

It also came out before Ford came out with the S197, so we hadn't gotten used to what a modernized Mustang would look like. Plus would didn't dig the nitrous button?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/22 6:20 p.m.

I would say the F&F reflected the tuner scene, not created it.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/22 1:02 a.m.

I think the r34 from the second movie was more iconic. I tried to replicate it in Need for Speed Underground

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/16/22 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

The import/tuner cars were showing up at dragstrips in southern California by the early 90s, and the scene was pretty well established by the time I left there in '93.  F&F was what, 2001?

Definitely a reflection (caricature?) more than creation, but it was probably 'new' to many parts of the country.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/16/22 10:44 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I would say the F&F reflected the tuner scene, not created it.

Most definitely.  It came out when I was a college sophomore.  I went to high school in rural Missouri and already knew several people with "tuner" cars - all of them were aesthetically modified but no real performance mods.  I was already reading Sport Compact Car in high school, and it wasn't hard to find.

What it did was blow the popularity of the tuner scene up.  Seemed like every guy my age had a fancy stainless and fake carbon fiber park bench on the trunk of their Cavalier once the movie came out.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/17/22 9:20 a.m.

One idea that had crossed my mind for an expensive publicity stunt: Buy the Eclipse and put together a set of videos about what it takes to actually run 10s with it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/22 11:56 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Bonus points for having the passenger floorboard eject 15 seconds into the 10 second run.

I was at SEMA in 2001, I'll see if I can find some of my pictures...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/22 12:10 p.m.

Here you go, this is from the 2001 SEMA show. Looks like it might actually be for sale. Style Imagineering built the car, we provided some parts.

Neon on the intercooler, yellow tinted windows, ridiculously OTT billet shock tower brace, big tall shiny wheels, TV screen in the trunk - check. But check the metal widebody.

Text from the placard (with a few editorial comments I added in 2001)

Mazda Miata "Zoomster"
Style Imagineering has created the ultimate Mazda Miata. With turbo charged performance, superior handling, incredible stopping power, mind blowing electronics and eye catching wide body styling, this Miata gives "Zoom Zoom" a whole new meaning.

Base vehicle
2001 Miata Miata LS
1.8L DOHC 16-valve 4 with variable valve timing
6-speed manual transmission

Powertrain/Exterior features:
BEGI & Flyin' Miata turbo system
Advanced Clutch Technology Xtreme clutch
Custom front and rear fascia
Unique Metal Products style wing (do not roll this car)
4" wider front and 6" wider rear body
Custom rocker panels with air intakes
AMP research fuel door
KC Hilites HID lights
STREETGLOW neon
Dazz/Racing Hart wheels
Falken FK-451 tires
Bullett exhaust products (psst, Mazda - you'll get more power with our turbo exhaust)
Bilstein PSS suspension system
Baer brakes (psst - we can offer a good upgrade for you, Mazda)
AXXIS brake pads
Unique Metal Products strut brace
Paint & body work by Lloyd's Custom Paint and Body
Sikkens custom pearly Neon Yellow paint

Interior Features:
Deco-tech photogenisis aluminum dash treatment
A-pillar supercharger boost gauge (pardon?)
Eclipse audio/video/navigation system
Audio/Video installation by Thunderworks
Recaro bucket seats
Crow Industries safety harnesses

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/17/22 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Wow.

Nothing looks worse than a widebody with wheels that don't fill it out.   Sadly, looks like it still has the same wheels 21 years later.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/22 12:39 p.m.

Does one have to sharpen the mouse trap before getting into the car?

I kinda like the widebody, even though I originally read it as "mental widebody".

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/22 12:49 p.m.

I remember having to hook up the neon on a customer car after working on it. I felt so dirty.

I wish I had a picture of that car, it was tooner personified. Purple with a Veilside body kit...

Qt82u84NPs3l03XKCfhUmB4sHnY8qginjySF2KJzRq1lql0NzhBRpM7GfnqkVmd5