What tires are you running right now?

Colin
By Colin Wood
Jul 6, 2022 | tires, 200tw, Discussion, Wheels & Tires

Photography Credit: David S. Wallens

Many of us are passionate about our tires, so what are you now running? 200tw? All-terrains? A value buy? Something else entirely?

[Ultimate track tire guide | 200tw, 100tw, street-legal track and R-comps]

Let’s see them–the wilder the better.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more tires, 200tw, Discussion and Wheels & Tires news.
Comments
7/5/22 4:19 p.m.

I realized something regarding the tires on our cars: The highest treadwear currently in our fleet is 240, and that includes my wife's daily.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/5/22 5:01 p.m.

With 7 cars at my house currently, I have a full range from rally tires, 200 TW, 260 TW, 300TW to 500ish.

CrystalWhite_90
CrystalWhite_90
7/5/22 5:09 p.m.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
7/5/22 6:16 p.m.

Hankook Optimo H724 on the XJ. Quiet and good rain performance and good fuel economy. Would recommend.

Nankang NS25 on the E36/5. Car's been broken for most of the time I've had them. Can chirp a little on a hard shift. Hopefully wear better than the Federal SS595.

Falken RT615K on the W116. Those tires are from 2016 and have 1 hour of racing on them before blowing the engine. We quite liked the original RT615K but those are way aged out by now.

SDet
SDet New Reader
7/5/22 8:11 p.m.

Rs4 on the lemon, and pilot sport all season on the focus.

Pirelli scorpion on the motorcycle.

Opti
Opti Dork
7/5/22 8:12 p.m.

Some low rolling resistance Bridgestone on the Volt.

Firestone AT2s on the z71.

Goodyear Supercar3s on the 1LE. Can't decide if I want to lean street tire with some Mich Pilot sports or lean track tire and stick with the SC3s for replacements

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/22 8:14 p.m.

Conti ECS at the wear bars on the Volvo.

Not so good in the rain, but on my way home from Panthera (rallycross!!) a couple weekends ago, I found myself on a very hilly, windy, freshly paved, completely untrafficed road in Maryland.  It was almost a touge run.  Speed limit was 40 and that was more of a goal than a limit through most spots.

Good tires...

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/5/22 9:02 p.m.

Wife's daily Mazda five, Continental DWS06. Good tires for a daily.

The Lancer Ralliart wagon has it's second set of the budget summer tires, Firestone Firehawks. Cheap tires, not bad for the price, got me some autocross wins last fall and (due to cold, wet weather) a lucky second place in H Street at the state championship. Very good tires in the wet.

My new daily, an 08 civic coupe 1.8/5 speed, came with a set of new Malaysian tires of some sort. Okay on dry pavement, terrible if there's any moisture on the pavement.

For the civic, I bought a used set of Yokohama A052 with a 2018 date, but with almost no street miles, just some autocross events, mounted on some Enkie wheels.

Planning to autocross and track on those. Yesterday I got a set of Bridgestone RE71r tires (the discontinued ones) in a trade from Stampie. They have a 2020 build date and appear to be almost unused. I plan to daily them, get rid of the cheap tires that are on it.

My E Street Miata just got a new set of BF Goodrich rival 1.5s when I gave up on receiving the new RE71rs tires I ordered. I'll run the rivals while it's hot here, then switch to the Bridgestones when the weather changes.

The GMT400 has a set of Generals. They're nine years old, have served well. Not getting replaced, going to buy another truck or suburban.

The Morris doesn't need tires, except for setting the car on the tire dollies. frown

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
7/5/22 9:08 p.m.

Hankook dynapro at2 on Canyonero, generic all seasons on the civic.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
7/5/22 9:17 p.m.

Hankook RS4 on the track car

Nitto NT555 G2s on the 85 Corvette

BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 on the daily truck

BF Goodrich Mud terrain KM3 on the 4x4 Yota

Michellin Latitude on wife's car.

I'm not much on brand loyalty but I'll overthink a tire purchase if I have any options to a fault.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/5/22 9:20 p.m.

Hoosier R7s on the Camaro, Falken 660s on the Miata, Hoosier VFFs on the Formula Ford, Cooper Discovery ATs on the truck and I have no idea what's on my wife's Fusion.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/6/22 12:09 a.m.

Nokian Entyres on the Fit.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/6/22 7:46 a.m.

245/40R15 Nankang CR-S on the Miata

The Yaris has 205/50R15 Continental ExtremeContactSports but I don't have any photos of those.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/6/22 9:34 a.m.

I run the Falken RT660 for time attack

Falken RT615k+ for lapping

My parents, SWMBO and my Fit all have General Altimax RT43 for street tires. I bought them first and then put them on all their cars.

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
7/6/22 10:23 a.m.

Michelin Pilot AS3 on the Mustang. Rears down to the wear bars at 18,000 miles...because Mustang. Killed the stock PS4s pretty quickly too.

I drive ~20,000 miles a year and try to balance a decent performance tire with not replacing them every 10-12 months. I got the AS3s because they were a decent performance tire, and would get me through the couple of freak winter freezes that north Texas gets. I had General AS-05 on my previous BMW 335i, and was surprised at their treadlife/traction. I don't think they would feel as good on the Mustang, though.

I'm thinking about going back to summer-only tires since I can now WFH if/when things get too cold/icy. Firestone Indy 500s are looking attractive cost-wise.

If I do ever get back into autocrossing, I'll pick up a second set of wheels with something a little gummier on them.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/6/22 10:42 a.m.

Michelin PS4S on the 86, recently I've been thinking I might've been too conservative on tire choice and should've gone with something stickier and faster-wearing...but I should reassess after I've done some track days with this car.

Stored the AE92 with Maxxis RC1s on it and the Samurai with Windforce Catchfors MTs on it, both will probably need replacing due to age sad

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
7/6/22 11:04 a.m.

Currently running the Falken RT660 in a 225/45R17 on the WRX as a track tire. General G-Max AS-05 as a daily tire, I'm quite happy with it though it is a bit noisy.

Looking at more endurance focused tires now since the RT660 are wearing out pretty quickly after just 3 HPDEs and a handful of autocrosses.

Contenders are the Falken RT615K+, Hankook RS4, and GT Radial Champiro SX2. The SX2 is the cheapest but none of the chain shops carry them so I'll have trouble getting commercial support. The RT615K+ seems like a slower RT660 at the benefit of getting a more evenly wearing tire (plus ability to do cross rotations due to asymmetry), and the RS4 is the most expensive of the bunch but is the tried and true tire.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/6/22 11:29 a.m.

Hoosier R7s on the M3, Rivals on the Miata, RE-71Rs on the FD, Potenza Sports on the Audi (PS4s were out of stock when I needed tires), LTX AT/2s on the truck, and some kind of Bridgestone-I'm-not-sure-what on the CX-9.  Oh, and Goodyear Marathons on the trailer. :)

richcory
richcory None
7/6/22 12:25 p.m.

Just recently swapped from Nitto NT05's to Toyo R888R.  Car is mostly on track at this point anyway so the lack of wet traction isn't a big feal

lieb923
lieb923
7/6/22 2:58 p.m.

Michelin p4s on the BMW M235. Great all around tire.

emotive
emotive None
7/6/22 5:03 p.m.

Goodyear Supercar 3 on the Model 3

Nankang NS-2R on the SpecVette

Hankook RS4 on the NB

Hankook RS4 and Lexani (LOL!) 500tw Drift spares on the E90M - two tires that will not die.

Continental DWS06 on the family SUV

Goodyear Trail Runner AT on the truck

Tires are the enemy. Kill all tires.

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
7/6/22 5:13 p.m.

Car - 2021 Kia Forte GT
Tires - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Stock tires for the car.  Fantastic warm weather dry and wet grip.  Awful in snow!!

Bought the car in December.  Surprise snow fall two weeks later.  Fortunately I already had a set of mounted winter tires. (RIP Veloster)  Just had to put them on the car.

rsaviciunas
rsaviciunas
7/6/22 5:47 p.m.

Hankook RS4  wears like iron for multiple track days and autocross

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/6/22 7:03 p.m.

GTI (DD) and Porsche 924S: BFG Comp 2 A/S since I'm too lazy to buy different wheels for different seasons these days.

Tow Pig: BFG AT KO2 (load range E)

Raider and its matching trailer: General Grabber AT2s

Rally car: Maxxis Victra R19

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/6/22 7:07 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

some of us live places where there is weather not called "sun" lol.

Your tow vehicle has <240TW? So extreme.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
7/7/22 4:48 a.m.

I've reached a point in my life where all my cars have full matched sets of tires.

I'm living the dream.

billy69
billy69 New Reader
7/7/22 10:23 a.m.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
7/7/22 9:45 p.m.

Hankook RS4 on the race car

Firestone Indy 500 on the Speed3 and TL Type-S

miatafan
miatafan GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/7/22 9:50 p.m.

General G-Max AS-05 on my 2016 MX-5 (daily driver with 80k miles)

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/22 10:17 a.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
David S. Wallens said:

some of us live places where there is weather not called "sun" lol.

Your tow vehicle has <240TW? So extreme.

Truck tires don't have treadwear ratings. :)

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/8/22 8:54 p.m.
miatafan said:

General G-Max AS-05 on my 2016 MX-5 (daily driver with 80k miles)

I have a brand new set of these on my Focus and I am very happy with them. I just did a semi aggressive drive on Skyline Blvd in NorCal today and they did great. No under steer and quiet on the road. Strangely they seem to have improved my gas mileage. Thumbs up for the price.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/11/22 10:12 a.m.

I've generally been pretty stoked on Continental DWS on the Focus RS. I loved the PS4S but ran through them QUICKLY. The DWS seems is a good mix of dry/wet performance and treadwear, IMHO. That said: They don't like to be tracked or autocrossed. The outer edge of the tires "chunked" after 5 laps at AMP.

I'm currently running a used set of A7's for autocross from that dude on the board(?) near Road America with really good results.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/11/22 11:56 a.m.

I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the Solstice coupe - probably the best all around street tire I have driven on.  300 wear index.

The BMW Z4M coupe got a slightly lesser tire, the BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2, also very good but not leading edge.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/11/22 10:37 p.m.

General ATX on the Jimmy as my winter ride. Great traction but noisy.

Riken Raptors on the 2000 Firebird  for the summer. Cheapest I could find at the time and they are terrible.

dps214
dps214 Dork
7/11/22 11:38 p.m.

As of about a week ago both of my cars have conti DWS06+ on them. I wasn't quite sure how they'd be on the cayman but I figured it was worth a try considering how cheap they are and how much I liked them on the fiesta. So far I'm a few hundred miles in and have no regrets. To be fair, the previous ECS were so beat that just about anything new would have been at least a marginal improvement, but still.

o3udc9Sahl4WPIzR87u8CxMsJI2NMoFHEEJcSHZVHXd3yxV3ivp0IFCBwt7yvVvU