What is Toyota Racing going to announce on June 1?

Colin
By Colin Wood
May 31, 2022 | Toyota, Gazoo Racing, gr86, Toyota Racing

Photograph Courtesy Toyota Racing

Toyota Racing recently shared the above picture on social media, suggesting that it has some news to share about this particular GR 86 tomorrow, June 1.

We have someone at Toyota's HQ, so we'll be able to get the official word from the source.

Until then, what do we think it is? Is it the upcoming GR Cup car, or is it something else entirely? Spec series?

June 1 update: Toyota announces an even faster GR Corolla–the GR Corolla Morizo–plus a GR86 spec series and GR86 Special Edition.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Toyota, Gazoo Racing, gr86 and Toyota Racing news.
Comments
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/31/22 1:10 p.m.

Maybe it'll be a TRD version of the GR 86–meaning it'll be the Toyota Gazoo Racing 86 Toyota Racing Development. wink

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 1:18 p.m.

Free 86s for everyone on the grassroots motorsports forum if we promise to race them?

5/31/22 1:27 p.m.

IMSA spec series. (My WAG.)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/31/22 1:28 p.m.

Rav4 GR

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/31/22 1:37 p.m.

Hi everyone! I'm on the scene here in Texas at Toyota North America HQ. They're going to make several announcements about their 2023 Toyota lineup tomorrow, and Lexus tonight. So far, I haven't heard anything about a GR edition Sienna.

* Note: Corrected.

lagunamike
lagunamike None
5/31/22 1:47 p.m.

Why would Toyota be making Acura announcements????

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/31/22 1:54 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Hell yeah!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/31/22 1:58 p.m.

I guess I'm kind of hoping for TC/TCA/TCR cars like the Honda Civic lineup. A spec series would be cool, but also very high-risk without venues and teams already committed, and I just don't think they'd have been able to keep that secret to this point if that were it.

5/31/22 1:59 p.m.
lagunamike said:

Why would Toyota be making Acura announcements????

I'm thinking someone meant to say Lexus....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 2:00 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Rav4 GR

That's basically the Dodge playbook.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/31/22 2:01 p.m.

Sorry folks, I meant Lexus. I've been awake since 2:30a Eastern to catch the early bird here. I'll take a nap and be well rested before this evening. I promise.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/22 2:02 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

Hi everyone! I'm on the scene here in Texas at Toyota North America HQ. They're going to make several announcements about their 2023 Toyota lineup tomorrow, and Acura tonight. So far, I haven't heard anything about a GR edition Sienna.

Let us know!!!

5/31/22 2:09 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I'm swinging for the fences here with the call for a spec series. laugh

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
5/31/22 2:34 p.m.

It's obviously the GR version of the MX5, with a turbo 3 cylinder BMW engine, based on the NE chassis.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/22 3:20 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

IMSA spec series. (My WAG.)

Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports

I wouldn't think it's that much of a WAG.

they said they're brining a one make series here.. and this certainly looks like it could fit the bill. My money is with you. This is going to be the launch of the official one make race spec cars.

5/31/22 3:34 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

If it wasn't for disappointment I wouldn't have any appointments. (Not sure if that line works here, but just trying to keep my expectations in check.)

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/22 6:32 p.m.

I know what it is...

toyzman
toyzman
5/31/22 6:55 p.m.

were going to have an actual Toyota sports car or were actually going to support grassroots racers,,,, either would be nice and over due.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 9:09 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

So far, I haven't heard anything about a GR edition Sienna.

The night is still young!

jb229
jb229 New Reader
5/31/22 9:23 p.m.

Corolla TCR or they're going to bring over the GR 86s they run in Australia and NZ.

Seems like a GR 86 series in North America would be going head to head against the beloved MX-5 Cup.  Might be a tall order...

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/22 9:32 p.m.

I bet they're adding a new sporty trim level that consists solely of a stripe graphic and an embroidered headrest.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/31/22 9:46 p.m.

Indycar engine under the GR 86 banner?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/31/22 9:46 p.m.

Should I be setting my alarm at 12:15am to get the news?

jh36
jh36 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/22 9:47 p.m.

they will publicly contact me to join their newly formed gr86 pro team and simultaneously hand me a contract for an extensive video documentary about the journey.
That's what I think.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/31/22 9:54 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Oh no .   .  The GR86 is doing NASCAR isn't it...  The next gen is only 9" longer wheelbase...  Maybe this could work...

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/31/22 9:56 p.m.

An 86 without the Subaru engine. One can dream.

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings New Reader
5/31/22 10:06 p.m.
BA5 said:

Don't forget the cool "custom" shift knob for the automatic transmission selector

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
5/31/22 10:06 p.m.

Are there RWD cars in TCR these days? TCR is so boring compared to the old ST class that I stopped paying attention.

I'm loving everything Toyota is making these days. The one thing I hate is that they aren't bringing over the roll down rear window into this new generation of Sequoia. One of the best features that car has had and makes them great if you need to haul 8-12ft pieces of lumber.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/1/22 6:49 a.m.

Any news?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/22 7:23 a.m.

Looks like a new RAV 4 Hybrid with AWD that

( drum roll please)

can go off road.

Mckeemk8
Mckeemk8
6/1/22 7:26 a.m.

My guess is Toyota is putting together a team and cars for the Indy league of racing.

I'd rock a GR Sienna...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/1/22 8:47 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That's it?

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/1/22 8:51 a.m.

This may be a hint from Toyota HQ.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/1/22 8:51 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to dean1484 :

That's it?

Toyota is makinga  bunch of annoucements today. However this would be the perfect replacement to my GFs Crosstrek.

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
6/1/22 11:08 a.m.

Orange.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/22 11:17 a.m.
Mckeemk8 said:

Damn, I wish.

6/1/22 11:23 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Hey, I guessed correctly about the new spec series! (And JG doubted me.)

Hayate
Hayate
6/1/22 11:51 a.m.

Toyota GR86 Stars in New Single-Make Racing Series

Homologated by Toyota, the GR86 is the designated race car for Gazoo Racing's newly formed GR Cup.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/1/22 1:33 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Hey, I guessed correctly about the new spec series! (And JG doubted me.)

yep! I'm a little disapointed though that they're running a sequential.. because it just makes the cost of running the series that much higher..

6/1/22 1:35 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Someone needs to check my math, but I believe MX-5 Cup went to a sequential to actually lower costs as the stock gearboxes required too much servicing.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/1/22 1:37 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

The ND gearboxes were absolutely made of glass and nothing could make them strong enough.... but the cost of purchasing a Global MX-5 car also went up $30K+ as a result.

I've not heard nearly the amount of (if any) gearbox issues coming out of the twins over the longer period they've been sold compared to the ND.

6/1/22 1:40 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Maybe this was done to prep drivers for the next step into TCR, GT4 or GT3?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/1/22 2:03 p.m.

I just want to know when I can buy a new Sequoia TuRD Pro.

Also the next big press release from a Japanese make will be Honda showing us another camo variant of the CTR.

NNBh5Zvbn2SUrj4RJfbZxBPSmTq0stgSOWFn7ZsG0g5pgYZEdW2zL4l5UFvtk5G1