What is your attainable dream car?

Colin
By Colin Wood
Sep 12, 2022 | Discussion, Dream Car, Attainable Dream Car

Photograph Courtesy Porsche

Sure, we all have dreams of attacking apexes in McLarens and getting drive-through burritos in Ferraris, but let’s be realistic here–how many of us will really get the chance to own cars like that?

Instead, what’s your attainable dream car? You know, the one that keeps reappearing in your search history, the one you are stashing parts for or maybe even the one you are putting off buying until you find the “right one.”

Whatever it is, we’d love to hear about that car (and we hope you buy it one day, too).

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Discussion, Dream Car and Attainable Dream Car news.
More like this
Comments
thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/9/22 12:16 p.m.

Three cars are my attainable dream cars:  A superformance G 40, a factory five daytona coupe and the 2006 Mustang gt that I am driving and auto crossing.  I bought my mustang in december of 2005 and have installed a Kenne bell supercharger and I am on my second round of suspension upgrades care of vorshalg.

I have always wanted a monster mustang and I am  building one.  I love this car more than the day I bought it.  Have done 95% of the work myself, so it is a real relationship. I also learned to auto cross in the car.

The other two cars?  I think I am closer to the factory five car, as I've ridden in one.  Have never even seen the superformance car.  If I never get these two cars, I am still driving and loving my dream car.  Life is good!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/22 12:28 p.m.

A lot of kit cars or homebuilts could qualify (Superlite Coupe, Exocet?) so I'll try to stick to production cars. No plans to buy (or build) any more cars in the foreseeable future though:

- Lotus Elise/Exige
- C6/C7/C8 Corvette
- Mk5 Supra Manual

Also I'm intrigued/afraid that some EVs might soon go into production that could qualify, maybe from Hyundai or MG or even from Porsche(!)

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
9/9/22 12:36 p.m.

It isn't a dream car, but I am.... Very interested in the upcoming lektrik Cayman. Otherwise, I could probably replace the e55 with an e63s and find happiness on long road trips.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/9/22 12:36 p.m.

Attainable for me is a bit different.

I have been lucky to drive a lot of crazy stuff the only things I really would spend the cash for is.

• Early Murci manual spyder.
  • Spyker C8 coupe.
  • Morgan Aeromax coupe.

Outside of the production stuff I really want to have a early Atom, and the RCR 917K.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/9/22 12:58 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Always thought Spykers were super cool and seem to have the right amount of funk to stand apart from everyone else.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/9/22 1:07 p.m.

Is it bad I don't think I really have one?

I have the Civic as a fun project/ autocross car and the Element as a hauler that I am going to make more fun. I get daily drivers "free" at work.

I want something to do the Lemons Rally and then GRM Challenge with but I will sell after and after I may get a Geo Tracker as a removable top around town run about that the wife can drive. But do either of those count as a dream car?

If electric car comes along that has the practicality of the Element before it becomes reasonable to electricify the Element then that would become a dream car.

An original Mini would be awesome too. My biggest thing that keeps me from dreaming too much is space.

31rx7
31rx7 New Reader
9/9/22 1:28 p.m.

2004 - 2010 Jaguar XKR, preferably coupe.   Yes, I know they upgraded the car in 2007, so they are different, but I like both. Love the looks. Lots of power with civility. English leather and burled wood dash. I favor the coupe as I feel the lines are better and would make a better GT.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/22 1:30 p.m.

Mine was a 987 Cayman S. It's in my driveway. Then was another Opel GT. Ended up getting the same one and it is in the driveway.

1. Quattro Couple to restore and build.

2. A 6cyl. for the 914 that resides in the shop.

3. A Cummins powered Jeep J-truck.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/9/22 1:37 p.m.

Was originally an Elise, had it, loved it.

Currently in love with my turbo miata. I bought it really, really well pre-pandemic so the fun:value ratio is off the charts

Don't tell anyone, but I'm currently eyeing  a JDM Aristo (GS300) as a fast, modable GT car. Top trims had a full on 2JZ-GTE and for some reason prices haven't exploded on them yet. Doubling or tripling stock HP is pretty easy, apparently the rub is getting the transmission to survive at those power levels...

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/22 1:37 p.m.

In reply to 31rx7 :

I think the 07-14 XK and XKR are undervalued! They coupes are absolutely beautiful cars with great power. If the backseat was big enough for a toddler they'd absolutely be on my radar.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/9/22 1:38 p.m.

Already attained:

-BMW E36 M3Ti (for sale when it comes back from getting a new head)

Beyond that:

-SRT-6 XJ Cherokee

-C126 300SDC

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
9/9/22 1:42 p.m.

Corolla GR

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
9/9/22 3:27 p.m.

So, so many cars. The short list that are all fairly reasonable, at least for now:

• S62-swapped BMW 8 series
  • Early euro E24, preferably M635csi. I love the clean lines of the early cars with euro bumpers.
  • Lotus Esprit Turbo, the early version
  • I have a 944 but it doesn't run yet, so 944 LS1 goes on this list
  • I've had most flavors of E30 and still love and own several so that's on the list
  • Lately I've been jonesing for an Evo VII/VIII
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/9/22 3:54 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

I am looking at a Soarer/Turbo SC300 or Aristo as a cruiser. Lot of miles in the midwest and the more I look at it, That is perfect.

I also have a reservation submitted for an Alpha Motors Jax. Jax

Not sure if it will ever get built but I like it a lot so why not. Low risk to do so.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/9/22 4:08 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Seems like most people caught on to the 2JZ in the soarer and prices are, well, soaring. For some reason the Aristo is still under the radar.

I already own an IS-F. I have no compelling reason to own an Aristo, especially one I know I'm going to tinker with and blow up the trans. Such is life.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
9/9/22 4:23 p.m.

I've always wanted an FD RX-7.  But at this point those are starting to look less and less attainable.

You know what is attainable? A 1990s Toyota Century. I want one bad.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
9/9/22 4:43 p.m.

Mine come in two flavors:

Street

911 of some sort.

I want a 356 but a decent one will be more than I want to spend; read I'd have to sell most of the other toys for it to make sense to me.

Race

A Formula Super Vee; preferably a late 70s Argo.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
9/9/22 4:47 p.m.

New car: MX-5, GR86, Civic Si

Used: G35 coupe MT with Brembo brakes, RX-8 R3, Jaguar XK X150

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
9/9/22 5:10 p.m.

Exige, Atom, Defender (LS), gt4..

Yup, I have lofty dreams.

Automobilist
Automobilist New Reader
9/9/22 5:24 p.m.

Let's see... "Attainable"

Porsche 911 (991 series). Attained.

Aston Martin DB7 Supercharged. Attained.

MG TD.  Attained.

Triumph GT6 & Spitfire vintage race cars. Attained.

Still to be attained:

yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/9/22 5:30 p.m.

F type R.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/22 5:47 p.m.

Already have it.  67 LeMans Convertible.  The true dream car is the same as a GTO, but I always do restomods and quasi-pro-touring builds, so I saw no need to pay three times as much for the same car that was going to get the full treatment anyway.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/22 5:49 p.m.

I thought it was a certain twin-engine CRX, but then I had the chance to buy it and I realized it had too much pedigree.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/9/22 6:01 p.m.

It was a 68-70 Charger or 70-74 Cuda. Prices have long sense gotten stupid.

Hoping to get a 70-73 Firebird. Prices are rising fast, but a base model may still be possible.

74-76 Camaro choice #2. Because the chrome bumpers are so wrong they're cool to me.

81-87 Chevy/GMC short box stepside pickup.

ShiftLess
ShiftLess New Reader
9/9/22 6:04 p.m.

I have a track day prepped E46 M3 and a mostly stock C6 Vette base coupe, and a 20 yo WRX... so OK for toys, need more garage!

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
9/9/22 6:50 p.m.

Already own it, but I'd like to do another with LS something......I know, I know, "not another blah, blah, blah, LS swap blah, blah, blah".

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/9/22 8:33 p.m.

F355 GTS or GTB

I'm a Texas redneck and my answers will reflect that. I was dirt dirt dirt poor. The best I ever achieved in high school was an air cooled VW. From my vantage point even humble cars were worthy of lustful desire.

-TransAm GTA. Tuned Port with the gold colored mesh wheels. My friend had one. His family owned a restaurant and they could afford to buy him one for a high school car.

-C4 Corvette with round taillights (pre 91 model). This was the center piece at James Wood Motors Chevrolet in Decatur Texas when I was in my teen years. When we pooled our money to "drive to town", this was the ultimate vehicle in the entire county for youthful lust on any weekend night.

-A carbureted four-eye Mustang GT. About an 83 or 84 would be ideal. The cool dudes in high school drove 5.0L Mustangs with those sweet "Powdered by Ford" factory finned aluminum valve covers and the Holley carb.

This is my high school era. I was dirt poor and these were the parking lot cars that I lusted over.

I recently got the second one, the Corvette. I'm going down that path right now. But I also know that sometime dreams are best kept as just that. I could afford the TransAm or the Mustang but I suspect that they're more enjoyable in my mind than they would be in real life. You can never go back to the good old days.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
9/9/22 10:37 p.m.

My answer to this changes like my answer to my favorite food.
It's a little disheartening to see some of the cars I lusted over now become priced beyond where I'll ever afford them.

That said, though the answer changes a lot, it's generally a rare trim of something radwood era I thought was cool as a kid/teen.

Top of the list is an FD RX7, then a clown shoe. Both are now pricing beyond my means but would love to have one still.

Beyond those two, recently it would be A 90s Saleen but not sure I can really do another mustang

Since buying the integra challenge car, I've been digging integras and think a type R would be a solid choice if bought right. And they are still buyable

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/22 10:43 p.m.

911 - hoping to fix that next year.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
9/9/22 11:02 p.m.

I attained one of my dream cars, a 2010 Cayman S.

But most of the other cars on my list are probably unattainable, because I'm just not willing to spend the kind of money that it would take to get one.

Porsche 911 GT3 or GT2

Porsche Cayman GT4

C8 Corvette Z05

BMW Z8

NB Miata with Honda V6 (attainable)

ND Miata (also attainable)

Ferrari 355 Coupe (a friend has one, and it is drool-worthy)

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/10/22 2:02 a.m.

An early NSX with manual trans, BMW 635CSi and the upcoming recreation of the 69 Camaro I drove in high school.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/10/22 6:34 a.m.

NSX and a Pantera that doesn't need everything are my attainable dream cars. I can't see my pleasure to outlay letting me buy either but those are it for me.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/10/22 8:13 a.m.

I think the first car i lusted after, and still will stop me to stare at it is a Z32 300zx twin turbo.

silver paint with black interior. Oh yezz, thats the stuff.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/22 8:22 a.m.

I just bought one of them.

Next on the list is a FD RX7.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/10/22 8:33 a.m.

I want to do a Pro-Touring/backroads cruiser build on my '64 Nova. Hopefully I'd end up with something in between these:

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/22 8:44 a.m.

Early NSX and a 300sl gullwing.

I got the NSX and love it, not sure if I want to go for the gullwing.

Things get seriously weird for 1M+ cars. I think there is a lot of money laundering going on.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
9/10/22 10:16 a.m.

I'm driving one of mine, a Mazdaspeed Miata. My others are:

1st generation RX-7,

Porsche 944 Turbo or S2

Porsche Cayman

FD RX-7 and Lotus Elise, but those will most likely stay out of my price range.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/22 11:26 a.m.

TR6

911

308

C6Z06

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
9/10/22 11:29 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

god how I wish I could fit in one... im just too tall to drive it comfortably!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/10/22 1:28 p.m.
300zxfreak said:

If LS swap is a cliche, it's a cliche because it works.

For me, I would like to finish the tune in my Dart, find any remaining oil leaks, get the grille back in place, swap in that 8 3/4" axle, get the gauges all working, and fix all the cosmetic issues.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
9/10/22 2:11 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

You are correct, Grasshopper, if it works and works well, why fight it ?

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
9/10/22 4:23 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Excellent choice, I own one,  my second one. Still love them.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
9/10/22 8:14 p.m.

Tier 1 attainable:

• Mazda RX8
  • Early Porsche Boxster
  • 2016 Cadillac ELR (dreamy-ish for a daily)
  • IH Terra
  • IH Travelette

Tier 2:

• Lotus Evora (I've seen a few in a tier 1.25 for me)
  • Porsche 996/997 Targa
  • IH Scout
  •  Jeep Gladiator 4xe
Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/22 8:38 p.m.

If I scrimped and saved I could swing a Factory Five Cobra.

JimS
JimS Reader
9/10/22 9:01 p.m.

Got one. A 911. For some reason I have always wanted a Lancia Fulvia.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/22 9:28 p.m.

Jaguar, either XJ6 or MkII, but done up the way I dream of.

My 2002? It wasn't that expensive when I bought it, but it's not in a dreamy state right now.

A Porsche of some kind. Maybe attainable at the right time/place/etc. Boxster? I think the Porsches I'd really fall for are all older than that, if only a little.

A nicely done BMW E12. Or another E28. Or E30. All harder to come by than they ought to be already.

An Alfa Romeo Milano or GTV6.

A lot of "dream" cars have come to seem so over the top to me that I don't think I could enjoy driving them. Maybe a Cobra replica?

I think I'm better off focusing on things like turning the MGB GT into everything I think it can be. And getting the Wolseley put together, because I think these will make me happier to drive around and to arrive in than 90% of the stuff people think of as "dream cars."

It's been a lot of years of that Cobra not falling off my list, though...

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
9/10/22 11:54 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

I daily drove a Milano for several years, they are fun in a weird way and it actually only needed a tow truck once, but they are terrible at being a usable car.  The parts to get the HVAC working are long gone (discontinued and used parts have decomposed), the headlights are horrible (undrivable in the dark) and the exhaust just kinda sits down below everything else under the car and scrapes everything.

Dwight
Dwight New Reader
9/11/22 8:33 a.m.

My dream car is the one [plural] that I  have and now own.

The MGB!

My 1st was a'65, with wire wheels. Too hard to balance and clean.....

Even then, it needed more power and a 5th gear. Or overdrive.

This car IS a attainable dream. [much modified '79 LE]

Mine is close to where I want it, with the overdrive transmission and more power. Last time it was on the dynamometer, in the '77 body shell, it produced 91 HP at the wheels and 93HP with the rich carb. needles.

There are multiple sources of parts, it's a very simple car easy to maintain and so much fun to drive. And gets decent fuel mileage.

Especially, when at a autox event, it beats cars with waaaaay more power and better/bigger tires.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
9/11/22 8:37 a.m.

For a lot of people these days, "attainable" includes $1500.00/month payments.

With this in mind, my truck is that "dream car," but I would not say that it is reasonably "attainable," because the price was freaking stupid for what it is.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/22 9:16 a.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

I think this is where the: "I could, but I won't" mentality comes in for me. Of course, I've got middle school aged kids and still funding a retirement. My priorities may shift in 20 years.

GeddesB
GeddesB Reader
9/11/22 7:39 p.m.

Already in the garage:

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/22 9:09 p.m.

There are cars I'd like, such as a newer Audi convertible, or Mid-60s Olds F-85 convertible, but I do not dream about them. I have dreamt about a Viper GTS, but I don't enjoy driving on the street cars that are that fast.

The other day I walked out into the parking lot and, looking around, considered that I was already holding the keys to the coolest car in the lot. So I guess my current car is my dream car, and that's cool. Good reminder to exercise my contentment and gratitude muscles here, thanks!

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/11/22 9:28 p.m.

I bought one, my Suzuki Cappuccino. I dreamed of a Japanese kei sports car since they were new at the start of the 90's, and now I own one, so that's cool.

Another would be a Lotus of some sort. Elise or Seven most likely. Could also be a Caterham, Westfield, Birkin, Fraser, well-built Locost, etc.

At times I'm intrigued by a Cayman, but not sure if I'd stretch to own one someday or not. Fun to think about, though...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/22 9:47 p.m.

I can attain cool cars, but the space to store them all seems to elude me the most.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/11/22 11:43 p.m.

One of them I recently bought and absolutely adore:

The other is a new C8 Corvette.  I am really itching to order a 1LT Z51 car with a few extras and do the museum delivery.  I think it is hands down the performance bargain of the century.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/12/22 10:11 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Same here.  I absolutely have more cars than I can currently store/maintain/enjoy.

Example: on Sat, I really would have liked to take the new-to-me TR8 out for a cruise, but then the idea of playing musical cars in order to get it out of the garage made me procrastinate.

My only true "dream car" is a '69 Charger, heavily modified. Could I attain one if I really wanted to and was willing to sell off much of my current fleet?  Yeah... probably... But I'm not sure I'd enjoy it any more than my current fleet of LBCs.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/12/22 10:35 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

That and time is my issue. I have two cars that are various states of projects that I don't have any desire to get rid of plus two daily drivers. I could fit one more car once I sell my truck but I don't think I have time to work on it.

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
9/12/22 12:15 p.m.

In reply to 300zxfreak :

If you are looking to do an engine swap and it fits the engine bay then LS is the answer. Done 2 into older cars (1 with each son) for reliability/ drivability. Working on my own for reliability/performance. I know that not everyone agrees. Not everyone on here owns a Miata either.....

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
9/12/22 12:17 p.m.

In reply to 300zxfreak :

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/12/22 1:47 p.m.
rustomatic said:

For a lot of people these days, "attainable" includes $1500.00/month payments.

This is why I didn't order a new Mach 1 Mustang with the Elite and Handling packages + Recaro's.

Wouldn't have been quite $1500/month, but still would have been about $70/month more than our house payment. Which I just thought was silly. So I "settled" for the new BRZ.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/12/22 4:24 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I can agree with that. "Attainable" to me is whatever car I can pay cash for without severely affecting my savings account.  That was more or less how I ended up with my TR8 instead of say, a new CTR.

Being able to add the car to my classic insurance policy was also a factor.  "New car" insurance for what would essentially be a toy is a harder pill to swallow.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/12/22 4:51 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

I don't keep hardly any cash an on hand, and even if I'd had the $33k on hand to buy a new BRZ cash I wouldn't have. Even before inflation ramped up to the current levels, it didn't make sense to me.

Even though I had to swallow 5% on the BRZ after putting a few K down, I don't see inflation getting back to that level until close to the time I have it paid off.

GeddesB
GeddesB Reader
9/12/22 5:06 p.m.
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:

If you like the Cappy, you'll like the Elise, except there is more room in the Suzuki.

Folgers
Folgers Reader
9/12/22 6:54 p.m.

What’s a  GLH going for nowadays ?

Ive had a few turbo omnis and Daytonas, but never a real deal glh.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/12/22 7:51 p.m.

My 3 constants

LT1 slick top WS6 6 speed Trans Am, in red or Medium Quasar Blue. I've been looking for one for years.

Red FD manual. Didn't pull the trigger on a couple throughout the years and regret it

Red C4 ZR1

other cars including my current camaro have come and gone and i really liked them, but over the last 15 years, these are the ones I've really lusted after. Although I could financially afford one, there is always something that's keeps the stars from aligning, and now they are all getting hard to find in the spec and condition I want.

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
9/12/22 8:24 p.m.

C6 Grand Sport.  Helluva lot of performance for the dollar. 35k is a lot of money for me, but its not a hopeless amount like my true lust, a last gen ACR.

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
9/12/22 8:51 p.m.

My attainable dream cars, minus the two Miatas I already have, are:

• Honda Integra Type R (JDM Import)
  • Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86
  • Miata RF in red or white
  • Any JDM Import kei class car or SUV
  • A JDM Import big body sedan for a "VIP" build

I guess this list reveals where my automotive interests are...laugh

My list is always growing/changing, but those are the ones that seem to stick around, so I'll consider them my true attainable (hopefully) dream cars. One day...one day...

WebFootSTi
WebFootSTi New Reader
10/18/22 1:38 p.m.

A 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi that keeps showing up in my driveway.

In the second photo you can see how a larger front anti-sway bar effects body roll.  This is the first time I've seen the 2 photos next to each other...

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
10/18/22 7:45 p.m.

C7 Grand Sport, even if it's on the outer edge of 'attainable'.

Torch red, M7, heritage package and zero chrome, please and thank you.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
10/19/22 10:36 a.m.

2002 XJR:

I mean...just look at it.

Many moons ago I was visiting the Milton Robson car collection in North Georgia. Milton's a really nice guy, very down to Earth. But when he rolled in to meet the club he was in a XJR. Dude had WON the muscle car collecting game, he had everything and could drive anything. And his daily was a XJR.

I want one...I can afford to BUY one...but I doubt I can afford to DRIVE one. It would sit and I'd worry about it getting bashed on Atlanta roads. My 2002 Camry is beat on the outside not from me, but from other stupid drivers. Getting another dent in the Camry doesn't bother me, wrinkling that gorgeous fender on a XJR would be sad.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
10/19/22 10:44 a.m.

This is an interesting thread and I read most of the responses and saw a lot of lists of cars that I would absolutely not kick out of my garage should i be blessed enough to have one show up.

There are two cars that I would really like to add to the garage:

1. a new Caterham SV in kit form that I can build.  Gulf Oil race livery colors (light blue and Orange) with track goodies (HPDE cage, dry sump, etc.)

&

2. a Porsche 911.  Guards red car with a grey or black interior.  I would like either a 996 turbo 6 speed car or a 997.2 PDK C2 or C2S.

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
10/19/22 11:08 a.m.

I love homologation specials, especially Group A. Here's the list:

• BMW E30 M3: attained...finally!
  • Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: attained
  • Ford Sierra RS Cosworth: maybe one day
  • Mitsu Lancer Evo 1/2/3: attained
  • Mitsu Lancer Evo 5/6: maybe soon
  • Renault 5 Turbo: there's one on ebay now for $58k, but I just bought the M3 and have no money!
  • Porsche 964 RS: now out of reach...probably for good
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
10/19/22 8:22 p.m.

Boogie van.  '73 or '74 G10 to be exact but a backdated later model is acceptable.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
10/19/22 8:49 p.m.

This is actually an interesting question. There are a lot of cars I dream about, and only a few of them might be attainable someday. Fewer still that I'd actually want to live with.

Though, if I can manage to do the work, I think the vision I have for my derelict 69 Toyota Corona project ticks most of the dream car boxes.

A K-swapped BRZ/FRS is on the list too.

physician
physician Reader
10/19/22 9:09 p.m.

Attainable dream?

A caterham is in my mind for years..

Beck 550 spyder is on the list too.

I have to drive a citroen 2cv someday, not sure if i would buy though.. maybe a citroen DS for familly sunday drives..

The near futur looks like swappi g the bikes for a spridget or spit with bike engine or 4age with intensive weight removal..

I have to scratch that caterham hitch after all..

Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/19/22 9:20 p.m.
RollinM
RollinM New Reader
10/19/22 10:13 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

80sFast
80sFast Reader
10/20/22 8:04 a.m.

These two have been on my mind lately:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/22 11:33 a.m.

My attainable dream car is weird.  I want a Porsche 928 (not too weird) converted to a Tesla Drivetrain.  I think that sexy GT pared of it's expensive and fragile V8 and paired up with a lot of voltage would be a ton (or two) of fun on the highway.

I am also working towards moving to the Netherlands where I have family.  I want a Fiat Fullback or a Renault Alaskan in the worst way.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
10/20/22 1:20 p.m.

While I would love to own an e36 m3 coupe one day, I feel my pair of e36 coupes will make up for the way they are going for prices now.

One day maybe in the future prices could drop on M3's but  for now I can enjoy what I have.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/20/22 6:59 p.m.

I guess I'm an odd one on this subject. I never lusted after any car, instead building two cars from scratch the way I wanted. After selling the second one, I ended up with a car that's been mentioned by several in this thread already, but wasn't one I gave any thought to whatsoever. That was, until my jerk sister put the bug in my ear, and suddenly it seemed that I just HAD to have one, very much so for its looks. And so it came to pass. Not mine but looks identical:

maisgelb
maisgelb GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/20/22 7:33 p.m.
mad_machine said:

+1 on the 928 EV. I haven't driven a 928, but I think it could be a fun primary car as an EV. I have an Elise which is another one on my list, so something quiet and refined (yet hooligan fast) would be a nice complement.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
10/21/22 10:26 a.m.

A tiny balls-to-the-walls electric grocery getter AWD stoplight hero. Preferably sleeper spec, comfortable, and cute. Maybe Kei car based

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
10/21/22 10:39 a.m.

Those of you saying FDs, go get one now. The Yen is worth a lot less than it was worth a few months ago.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/21/22 10:46 a.m.

FFR Cobra or other quality replica Cobra.  I've wanted one of these for as long as I've been into cars, but have never quite found the right car at the right time to work it out yet.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/21/22 2:51 p.m.

A restomod Citroen Traction Avant. Want to maintain the FWD configuration, but give it something like a smooth-running I6.

If I decide that it's a little too effete, I'll do something like this with it:

Tell me that wouldn't make a killer rallycross car!

Opti
Opti Dork
10/21/22 5:17 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Have you driven one? I wanted one for a long time until I drove one. I thought an early viper had bad ergonomics. I am fat though

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/21/22 8:09 p.m.

I wanted a Cobra for a while, until I caught up to one on-track in my Datsun 1200! It was surprising to see it under/oversteering its way around Turn 9 at Riverside, the driver sawing at the wheel, while I was just trailing along, barely moving the steering wheel. I get it, unknown driver, unknown car, but still, with its hairy-chested automotive anger image, that was the best it could do - in turns at least. That said, never let anyone tell you what kind of car you should like. You want it, can afford it, have space, buy it!

Rramirez
Rramirez New Reader
10/21/22 8:24 p.m.

Ford raptor!  I was close to affording one when I could get a new one at 62k pre Covid. Now they are completely out of reach, hopefully one day they come back to earth!  Or maybe I'll have to squeeze my family into the new ranger raptor

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/22 9:07 p.m.

Attainable means I can get one.  Dream car means I want one.  Combine both means I have had one or four.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
10/22/22 3:43 p.m.

E24 BMW.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
10/22/22 6:05 p.m.

There are lots of cars I want, but wouldn't "dream" of. Attainability is also hugely subjective. It's an interesting question nonetheless.

Probably most relevant answer:

The Bozz Speed EVO VI. I properly dreamt of this car. If priorities were shuffled, I could probably make it happen. First step would probably be a global hunt for it.

Current answer: My current car, but different. Totally happy with my 1999 911 C2, except for all the things I'm unhappy with. I think I'm coilovers, a wrap, a steering wheel, seats, and shifter away from my "dream." That said, the dream is likely to move by the time I get there.

There are two other dreams that are much more nebulous.

The first is going fast. This is mostly sated with my shifter kart. If anything, the shifter kart exceeds the level of experience I dreamed of.

The second is designing and building a car of my own. This has long been a dream and I think I could attain it if I dropped everything to pursue it. For now, I don't even know what I would build, but it's fun to kick the ideas around in my head. True dreams.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
10/22/22 6:52 p.m.
kb58 said:

Hey, I'm not afraid to admit that at my very first autocross I brought a gun to a knife fight and got killed.  Me and my C5Z were bested by a stock Prius.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/22 7:19 p.m.

Attained

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/22/22 8:22 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
kb58 said:

I had something Very similar happen. Autocross is its own special animal, where the driver plays a much bigger part of a fast lap time than the car itself.

Regarding my Cobra comments, I'm very aware that the special car we may want is almost never the one that would get fastest lap time. That's as it should be, as it's the entire package, not just one aspect of it. This risks getting into other threads of "never meet your hero cars", because we often find that the one aspect we wanted most turns out to be missing.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/22/22 9:24 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

More than once my 1200 crushed the soul of a newbie autocrosser.

As for that special car not being the fastest, absolutely. Even on my money is no object fantasy buy I don't aspire to own the fastest car.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
10/22/22 11:42 p.m.

A Lotus 7 or Caterham or a good copy.  I have a locust +442 Miata based chassis and running gear sitting here but have had other more pressing projects for the last 10 years.  One of these days though...

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
10/22/22 11:48 p.m.

I always wanted one of these, and eventually I could have one.  I also timed it right apparently, bought it a bit more than five years ago and it has appreciated nicely.  This picture is 4 years ago, she still claims it as her own, and she has driven the majority of the miles total in the last 3 years.

914Driver
914Driver GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/22 7:51 a.m.

1941 LaSalle coupe sold last year at Saratoga for $20k.  Black paint was about 3ft deep and the red leather interior was stunning!  Guy that bought it is the same guy that bought my Cadimino; he's a collector.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/23/22 12:06 p.m.

I'd always hankered after a Porsche 928 S but could never quite bring myself to love those goldfish headlights.

Always made me think of these:

Never could understand why Porsche would do that to their top front engined models when these look so much better

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
10/23/22 3:01 p.m.
wspohn said:

Always made me think of these:

The 928 is one of my first car memories.  Porsche (or whoever had the franchise) had brought a black one and a red 930 to the local mall during Christmas 1978.  Dad and 8 year old me mulled them over.  I clearly remember that the 928 listed for $36,000.  Dad chatted up the sales guy and we looked at the 930 too.  Dad said later that he didn't understand the Porsche thing because the 930 was clearly inferior, after all it only had a 4 speed just like our Mustang II, and yet somehow cost even more than the 928!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/22 8:58 a.m.

In reply to wspohn :

That photo is a pre facelift car. I am not sure they made the S in pre facelift. I had a 87 s4 with a manual and it was by far the number one car that I let get away.

I do agree the exposed headlights are polerizimg. Not really to my liking but the driving experience at the time made you forget about the looks. Now days a stock Civic will out perform it in all but top speed and even that may be close.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/24/22 11:57 a.m.
dean1484 said:

In reply to wspohn :

Indeed - how the mighty have fallen.  But I still enjoy the styling of older cars. A good friend ran a Porsche/VW shop. They had a complete 928 engine sitting as an ornament in the showrrom. I asked if it was to replace someone's blown engine. He said that it was out of a rolled car but that he never anticipated using it as anything but a showroom ornament as they never broke (eat your heart out, Jaguar dealers!)

I have too many (or if you ask my wife, FAR too many) cars but if the right 928 crossed my path I would twitch at it even now.  Some cars just have qualities that attract you. The Honda NSX did that, and for some reson I find myself attracted to the BMW 850 CSI and would probably have troble resisting it if a good one crossed my path even though it makes absolutely no sense.

Heck, I used to own one of these and would have a hard time not 'saving' one if it came across my path again.

seadoorider
seadoorider New Reader
10/25/22 4:37 a.m.

Well since "you" asked - ignor the numbering, these aren't necessarily any n order of want or that order shifts around day to day

essentially within my grasp now financially speaking:

1. Chrome bumper C3 - prefer a BB style hood, side pipes, a non numbers matching crate small black would be fine

2. A 75ish Corvette convertible- bright color like yellow or orange with a 4 speed

3. 82 Corvette white with red leather and rally wheels - lusted after one like this as a kid- this doesn't have to make sense right?

3. C5 Z06. This is most likely what I'll buy

4. 96 LT4 C4 - bonus for a CE or Gran Sport with red leather - my last C4 tried my patience but I'm over that now lol

5. S550 Mustang Coyote 6 speed - I have 2012 now so this probably won't happen

6. Challenger hemi with a manual- bonus points for a shaker hood

2. C6 manual coupe - probably an earlier one

4. 03-04 Mach 1 manual or 32v Cobra from that era

List 2 - less likely to happen but if the stars aligned:

1. C7 in a good color combo

2. c4 ZR1

2. 2013 C6 427 or maybe a Z06 or Gran Sport

3. GT350 (S550) hello voodoo

4. S197 GT500 prefer 2010-14

5. Scat Pack or SRT Challenger with manual

6. SSR with 6.0 and manual

7. 78-81 Trans Am with big aftermarket snowflakes, screaming eagle decals and maybe upgraded power and suspension to match

8. Factory 5 "34" Ford

9. Terminator Mustang 03-04

List 3 -unexpected money enters my life - so maybe not attainable at the moment

1. 92 Firehawk Firebird

2. C8 Corvette

3. 911SC - bonus points for wide body coupe or Targa

4. 928 GTS

5. Cayman 4.0 maybe 718 Boxster

6. Resto-Mod 55 Chevy

7. C2 Corvette 427

These lists grow and change all the time but these are the staple cars I seem to return to.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/22 8:09 a.m.

In reply to wspohn :

I saw this the other day and things started tingling a bit.  Somthing about a 908.  It was just ratty enough that I think it was a kit car but closer inspection could not find anything that said it definitly was a kit.  And where I was there was a real possibility it was a real one and people here take real 427 cobras down to the coffee shop.

I also have been wanting a R8 with a V8 and a manual in burgundy.

At the very high end of my list is a 456.  I always wanted one.  To me it is kind of the C5 of the Ferrari line up at this point.

I like the much cleaner lines it has than the 488 and subsequent cars after it.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/25/22 10:49 a.m.

The 904/908 were great looking cars. A friend back in the 70s owned a clone that had been made as a one-off based on a real 904 - fiberglass chassis with bonded in suspension mounting points etc. I don't know if he ever found a 4 cam engine for it - they wer expensive even then (and bring around a quarter million today).

I liked the Audis too - my office was in a high rise building in one of the best moneyed suburban areas in Canada and at one point we had an R8 sharing the parking lot with an R10 spider, plus a bunch of other automotive esoterica.

Region_Rat
Region_Rat New Reader
10/25/22 1:16 p.m.

Sadly many of my dream cars have gone up in price so much that they will now never happen.  That said, I did recently buy a 2005 Lotus Elise and that keeps a smile on my face every time I see it!

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/25/22 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Nicely done............the car's not bad either.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/22 1:59 p.m.

I feel like finding an affordable Phaeton is not hard, but finding on that is 100% reliable is impossible. Shame, because they really were an amazing car and for a DD, who wouldn't want a w12-powered Uber-Sedan from Germany?

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
10/25/22 8:49 p.m.

It's cool to see all the different flavors of dream cars represented.

I've been fortunate to have owned 2 of my attainable dream cars.

A 1988 911 convertible just like this one that just sold on BAT. It was supposed to be a forever car, and I really did love it, but shortly after buying, my wife got laid off and wanted to go to grad school full time, plus I decided I really wanted to go wheel to wheel racing, so 18 months after purchase this car got moved along.

1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Commemorative Edition

Next up is the 2000 Z3 M Coupe. Have had it several years now with no plans to sell, though I don't consider it a forever car. I love this one too, mainly for the one of a kind styling, plus the fact it was built just down the road in SC.

Honestly, these days my dream cars (attainable or not) are restomod sports cars. So, I'm in the midst of doing that with my first sports car. Picture is current (and about as flattering as it can get - it's fairly ratty IRL), but the car's been with me since high school:

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
10/25/22 10:01 p.m.

I've driven through western NC/SC in a Z3 Coupe(3.0) and it was amazing. Is that photo near Saluda? I only wish I fit in the e36/8 better or I'd probably own one.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
10/25/22 10:48 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to kb58 :

More than once my 1200 crushed the soul of a newbie autocrosser.

In high school, I once took top stock time in my Datsun 1200. Imagine how it felt to beat the muscle cars, Corvettes, and sports cars! It helped that the course was very tight and narrow.

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
10/25/22 11:25 p.m.
buzzboy said:

Z3 photo is from Hocking Hills in Southern Ohio. Rx7 photo is near Fontana Dam, not too far from Tail of the Dragon.

WebFootSTi
WebFootSTi New Reader
10/29/22 3:03 a.m.

In reply to Toebra :

That's a drop dead gorgeous 904.  I saw two at a Porsche parade in the late 1970's along with a 906 and I have seen a pair of 917's at an auto show...

John_Murphy
John_Murphy New Reader
11/3/22 9:41 a.m.

Porsche Cayman GT4

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
11/3/22 11:08 a.m.

My definition of attainable is at a slightly lower price point and otherwise somewhat pedestrian compared to some of the above answers: nb Miata (rust free ) with a turbo and good coil overs.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
11/3/22 11:54 a.m.

I just want to remind you all that headlight-deleting a 928 is an option:

And at one point there was a conventional flip up conversion, which I'm sure was rarer than unicorn tears even when new:

I definitely wouldn't kick a nice 8 out of the garage either. 850CSI is hard to resist but I think the ideal combo would be an S62 V8-swapped 840CI with the rest of the CSI bits on it. That and a 6 speed swapped 2001 740i M Sport both roll through my automotive dreams regularly.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue HalfDork
11/9/22 12:09 a.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

3. A Cummins powered Jeep J-truck.

I have a J-truck with the original AMC 360, and a local friend has another with a 12-valve Cummins. It's a very tight fit that requires a lot of compromises. I'd look into an IDI if I wanted a clacky old mechanical diesel (which I do, but cannot justify).

Attainable is a damned hard one. I've been pedaling the same MR2 for eighteen years and have made no effort to replace it. Part of that is due to having a monthly car budget of about sixteen cents, and part of it is realizing that no matter what I buy, it will still need everything, and I'll lose momentum shortly after dismantling something critical and expensive.

That said, in no particular order, there are still a few "someday" cars that I forget about until they appear in my peripheral vision and stop my heart.  In no particular order:

1. '64, '66, or '67 Olds F-85 two-door sedan. A real 442 would never happen, but I could maybe manage an F-85 or Cutlass and then build it up with all the important bits. If a '66 or '67, those big rear wheelwells are getting filled with 15x10 Centerlines wearing 295/50R15 rubber, because N50-15s are so last year.

2. 2nd generation Corvair 140. This car is crying out for all kinds of trick stuff, like six-port heads, disc brakes, etc. These are such gorgeous cars that I cannot help but sigh when I see one. Coupe only, please. Convertibles are for parades.

3. A-Model Ford in the five-window coupe variety. Powertrain is undecided, but it would have to be period appropriate for a traditional build prior to about 1964, and would probably be determined  by what found me. Fenderless, chrome reverse wheels, no caps. Probably painted a tasteless metallic gold with some lime green tint in it. No goofy 8-ball or playing card rockabilly fantasy graphics. Upholstery optional.

4. Midyear Corvettes have been stupid money for decades. Maybe someday they won't be. If they ever aren't again, I'd love a '65 or '66 roadster with a rowdy small block. Flares and six taillights for extra credit, and I really don't care if the paint is spiderwebbed.  Don't you judge me.

5. Willys Americar in street gasser style. Straight front axle up front, pie crust slicks out back, and enough blown Olds Rocket to hoist and obliterate them, respectively, at will. White fenderwell headers, because of course white fenderwell headers.

6. '72-'74 (for the dash vents) MGB roadster with something less wheezy under the hood. Maybe a little 289, maybe a 5M-GE with polished cam covers and three SUs.  Possibly with Sebring flares and some fat slot mags and some very orange paint.

The B is very likely the only thing that will ever fall within budget.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
11/9/22 12:52 a.m.

A friend had a 928, back when they were newish. Said one day he was moving along in rush-hour traffic about 2mph, when the front upright casting broke in two and dropped the car on the street. Said the dealer later told him, in effect, "Yeah they've been doing that sometimes."

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
11/9/22 12:28 p.m.

Damn - that flip up headlight 928 looks soooo much better than the stock car!  If I ever came across one I'd be trying to come up with  rationale to she-who-must-be-obeyed as to why it made sense to add another car to the fleet!  And the 850 looks great too.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/22 12:46 p.m.

That's a scale model. I have had a similar one  at home for about 20 years.

It became this:

Hopefully by the end of next year they will look more like each other...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/9/22 3:48 p.m.

Since NSX has already been taken, a split bumper Z28 Camaro has always made me think naughty things

0sSXJAiSX6ury6NaHm73bEaflQfJTsvp0xWfkycbRkFz8uE2y5kIw2zJNZnzRztL