Which limited-edition Mazda Miata is your favorite?

Colin
By Colin Wood
Aug 29, 2021 | Mazda, Miata, MX-5

Photograph Courtesy Mazda

Just because grandma bakes cookies for the whole neighborhood doesn’t mean that she can’t make a few special ones for you. Surely, that must have been the same reasoning behind the numerous limited-edition versions of the Miata that Mazda has produced since the inception of the favorite little roadster.

In the NA’s lifetime alone, Mazda produced a dozen or so versions just for the U.S. market–special packages, special colors, special editions, special flavors.

So, out of the numerous special Miatas built over the decades, which one is your favorite? (And yes, we haven’t forgotten that time we wrecked a Sunburst Yellow Miata racing in the 24 Hours of Lemons.)

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Mazda, Miata and MX-5 news.
Comments
irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/25/21 2:57 p.m.

That one-off that Mazda made with the fastback hardtop

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/21 3:05 p.m.

I have a soft spot for the V-Spec special edition (ie, the one in the photo) as my first NA Miata was one of them.

That's also when I learned that they do have similar quality resprays to Maaco in Japan as mine had been repainted before it was shipped to the UK.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
8/25/21 3:11 p.m.

Of the 9 Miatas I owned, my favorite are

1) 95 R  (still have)

2) 04 MSM (miata.net geezer has it now)

3) 93 LE (still have)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/25/21 3:13 p.m.

10AE. So much blue. None more blue.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/21 3:18 p.m.

99 Sport. Base model with the Hard S suspension, the Miata to have for E Street autocross.

calteg
calteg Dork
8/25/21 3:28 p.m.

What irish44 said.

Followed by the 93 LE. Initially I didn't like it mostly due to the 1.6L, but the interior has really grown on me recently, to the point that I've been hunting down a set of red seatbelts....anyone got a set for sale?

johndej
johndej Dork
8/25/21 3:31 p.m.

Love some BRG as pictured above or the limitedly available sunburst

8/25/21 3:31 p.m.

I have always been about the BRG NA cars, but the black and red ones have been appealing to me more and more lately. (Probably should have bought one back when they were less expensive.)

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/25/21 3:39 p.m.

The R package NAs were my favorite once upon a time. Now that my wrenching skills have evolved and I can retrofit parts to mimic the R, my favorites are:

- sunburst yellow

- silver with the red interior retrofitted

plus the R package stuff and engine improvements

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
8/25/21 3:40 p.m.
calteg said:

What irish44 said.

There is a company that sells full 93 LE interior. I did my 95 R and did full 93 LE interior on it. Full interior cost me $800 shipped to my door. In Japan, you could get white/red, so mine is a homage to that.

I have some extra parts - but not for sale.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/25/21 3:46 p.m.

95 R Package would be the one I want.

CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/25/21 3:46 p.m.

I'll probably be the only one to say this, but the '97 STO (a.k.a. Stuff Taken Off). Loved the color, but more than that it was my introduction to Miatadom back when I didn't know anything about them.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/25/21 3:53 p.m.

My first Miata was a '94 M Edition with a hardtop.  It was my favorite. (Nevershouldasoldit)

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/21 4:00 p.m.

The one in the driveway?

But yeah, 93 LE gets an honorable mention.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/25/21 4:51 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

Should have polished wheels on it. Nice one!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/21 5:03 p.m.

95 M Edition

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/21 5:10 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

That one-off that Mazda made with the fastback hardtop

So there was a production coupe in Japan, I'm assuming that's not it. So you're talking about the 1995 M Coupe.

You would not be wrong.

...but that's a show car, not a limited edition.

As for actual limited editions, none of them turn my personal crank. None bring much to the basic car that I wouldn't want to change anyhow (R suspension, MSM turbo, etc) and I've always preferred the "normal" colors to the short run variety.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/25/21 5:15 p.m.

I feel obligated to post a picture of my car wherever appropriate, so yeah. This one.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/25/21 5:18 p.m.

91 BRG. This was number 2800 something of the run.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/25/21 5:29 p.m.

93 LE for me. I love the red interior and the special speaker covers.

calteg
calteg Dork
8/25/21 5:30 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
calteg said:

What irish44 said.

I have some extra parts - but not for sale.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/25/21 5:32 p.m.
Stampie said:

95 M Edition

That's my favorite.  One showed up on a local used car lot, but was too expensive at that time.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/21 5:32 p.m.
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

Should have polished wheels on it. Nice one!

Yeah, they should be 15s also. Came with garbage multi-lug 15s. Maybe I'll find a set someday. And thanks! there are many like it, but this one is mine.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/25/21 6:14 p.m.

I miss my '91 BRG, number 403 if anyone sees it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/25/21 6:24 p.m.

2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary Edition quick drive review: Aging  gracefully - Roadshow

You all need more pumpkin in your life. Drop dead my favorite and what I would own if i went back to a Miata.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/21 6:34 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

This will not be popular - but I feel the orange car suffers from the same problem the Sunbursts do. The color blows out any surface detail, it's just bright. Great from a distance, but on the Sunburst you lose things like the subtle power bulge (ha) in the hood and on the ND you lose all the interesting chine details. Also, the 30AE is very, very orange inside. I'd have to tone it down a bit.

But people do love those things.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/25/21 7:43 p.m.

That is why I like the color, just looks like a blob in the sun but in a night shot it looks good. But I have a thing for bright colors and buy normal cars in exotic car colors.

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
8/25/21 7:45 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

My favorite: 30AE because it is mine. It's an ND that doesn't blend in.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/21 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

BRG was the only one that I ever cared about.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
8/25/21 8:46 p.m.

I love my MSM, even if the factory engine tune is a little rough around the edges. The BRG and Sunburst Yellow are the best looking NAs.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/21 9:16 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Nothing wrong with bright colors if they flatter a shape instead of overwhelm it.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/21 11:59 p.m.

I miss my chaste white 94 R.  I don't miss many cars but this one I do.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/26/21 12:42 a.m.

10AE for me. Owned one and loved it.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
8/26/21 1:50 a.m.

2005 MSM - Lava Orange

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
8/26/21 6:04 a.m.
Driven5 said:

2005 MSM - Lava Orange

So many nice Miatas pictured here. This one is a thing of beauty.....well they all are.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/26/21 6:58 a.m.

I reallllly like the 1996 M Edition. Starlight Blue Mica is an amazing color.

Opti
Opti Dork
8/26/21 7:52 a.m.

MSM

JAdams
JAdams GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/26/21 8:57 a.m.

95M and 93LE are both at the top of my list.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/21 9:19 a.m.
Stampie said:

95 M Edition

Flyin' Miata bought one new. We still have it. Now it has 400 hp and has had so many motor swaps and types of power adder the motor mounts might as well be velcro. We modified the wiring harness so many times we had to replace it because it mostly consisted of splices. The perfect color-matched Merlot hardtop got repainted in a non-Miata color and had the rear window replaced with polycarbonate for a dedicated race car.

Interior and paint still look pretty much perfect, though - it's actually a pretty low mileage chassis. Sorry collectors, this one worked for a living :)

calteg
calteg Dork
8/26/21 9:25 a.m.

I completely forgot about the orange 30AE. I'm changing my vote. Absolutely love that color

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
8/26/21 9:36 a.m.

I've owned twenty over the last 21 years...

my favorite is #20. A 2020 (NB2) that is white on red leather with a black top. A nice metallic paint that shimmers in the right light, and the red interior pops nicely. The white interior panels are a great contrast. Happily, it will be moving to a garage shortly.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
8/26/21 10:39 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I miss my chaste white 94 R.  I don't miss many cars but this one I do.

If you are ever in So Cal look me up. My 9,100 mile example is as good as new, and should give you some of the memories back, when you take it for a drive :)

AaronT
AaronT Reader
8/26/21 11:19 a.m.

My favorites are:

95M

93 LE

All of the Rs

NB club sport

30AE

not sure if it counts, but I do love the NC Club PRHT.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/21 12:12 p.m.

I owned a 1992 Sunburst Yellow (actually pictured earlier in the thread by the new owner) and a 2000 special edition, but my favorite has always been the 2001 Special Edition.

Here it is when I had it.

If they make an ND in green, that'll be my new favorite.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
8/26/21 12:12 p.m.

I am likely a little biased but I do like the 2006 Limited Edition - the camera has never done the Velocity Red justice but in the sunlight...it gets a lot of favorable comments. Someone had to show a little NC love heart

8/26/21 12:32 p.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

My parents had one of those! And, yes, a very striking color in person.

Kent Krueger
Kent Krueger New Reader
8/26/21 1:01 p.m.

2017 MX RF Limited Edition...with a few tweaks

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/21 1:03 p.m.

So far, the overwhelming answer seems to be "the one I own".

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I wouldn't turn down one like that.  You know all boy racered out so priced accordingly of course.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/27/21 5:12 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

So far, the overwhelming answer seems to be "the one I own".

Mine is a rare 1990 1.8  with Torsen and non-peeling white paint . . . it's almost a unicorn!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/21 6:03 a.m.
Stampie said:

95 M Edition

I had one of these, but I never really liked the color that much.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/21 9:09 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I understand that not everyone has as good as taste as me.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/28/21 3:02 p.m.

I can attest that the ND in orange looks very striking in person.

Ljoy301
Ljoy301 None
8/28/21 10:16 p.m.

99' 10AE.
there's a lot of Blue, but it grows on you.

05vZEx7cHQQe6OO1uIb55oJE8hWGxFYXaXBMbB3cp3AA8xEeM8O9MlVbQGj14yyM