You need this: Shelby Omni GLH-S, the raddest American hot hatch?

David S.
By David S. Wallens
Sep 4, 2023 | Dodge, Shelby, Dodge Omni GLH-S, omni, Cars For Sale, Showdown Auto, GLH-S, Dodge Omni, Shelby Omni GLH-S

Photography Courtesy Showdown Auto

Back in the day, the 1986 Shelby Omni GLH-S provided a glimpse into the future of American performance: a front-wheel drive chassis combined with turbocharged power. It was way fast–for its day–yet also blended in with traffic.

[The truth about the Dodge Omni GLH: Did it really GLH?]

It even came from the mind of Carroll Shelby, with Hot Rod comparing the new car against his mighty GT350.

Fast forward to today, and the collector market is starting to take note of the Shelby Omni GLH-S. Only 500 copies were built, and not all lived relaxed lives. Survivors are out there–Mecum seems to always find a few.

Showdown Auto is offering this example for $24,900. Too much or not enough?

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Dodge, Shelby, Dodge Omni GLH-S, omni, Cars For Sale, Showdown Auto, GLH-S, Dodge Omni and Shelby Omni GLH-S news.
Comments
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/4/23 9:48 a.m.

Asking $25,000?

A little high but it's 1/500 with Shelby's name on it. It's ready to go and be driven.

Down the road $25,000 might not seem bad.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/4/23 9:59 a.m.


I remember this article from back in the day.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/4/23 12:03 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Asking $25,000?

A little high but it's 1/500 with Shelby's name on it. It's ready to go and be driven.

Down the road $25,000 might not seem bad.

In five years, we should all revisit this thread. 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
9/4/23 12:43 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That would be a neat forum feature. Call it the "time capsule" setting where a post pops back to the top based on a time interval. 

Berf
Berf
9/4/23 5:37 p.m.

I tracked mine for a while with the BMW club. It surprised a few people. The torque steer was intense. The car was reliable. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/23 6:16 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

berkeley you temptress!

I'd love a mk1 GTI but a little cocaine off a strippers butt and I agree with Dodge,,,

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/23 6:48 p.m.

How about $7k? GLH

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/5/23 6:52 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Datsun310Guy said:

Asking $25,000?

A little high but it's 1/500 with Shelby's name on it. It's ready to go and be driven.

Down the road $25,000 might not seem bad.

In five years, we should all revisit this thread. 

I'm sure a bot will find it for us. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/6/23 8:20 a.m.

I've had 2, one GLHS and one GLH. These are awesome cars, and I regret selling them.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/6/23 9:02 a.m.
Mndsm said:
David S. Wallens said:
Datsun310Guy said:

Asking $25,000?

A little high but it's 1/500 with Shelby's name on it. It's ready to go and be driven.

Down the road $25,000 might not seem bad.

In five years, we should all revisit this thread. 

I'm sure a bot will find it for us. 

I was thinking the same. (I kid, I kid.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0qK6pwElgbaiaXQiOULV3KCHpILT9X3LaHORUrrEVJS16n9fJJBQI6rKQlJaKPPL