11/10/22 1:45 p.m.

Needs moar boost!

Or a J32 swap

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
2/1/23 11:37 p.m.
iansane said:

It's mine! 

Picked it up from the port last Friday. Registered it yesterday. It's fun! Slow as all hell, but fun!

9k car

1.8k shipping

$800 customs/port fees

$1.3k registration

Already bought new headlights/foglights, painted front lip and painted 'is' sideskirts to go on.

$12,900.00 ?  It is a 80's BMW Wagon? I assume they are worth crazy money? 

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
2/2/23 11:48 a.m.

$1300 for registration?!

How?

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/23 12:47 p.m.
onemanarmy said:

$1300 for registration?!

How?

Maybe includes sales tax, title & doc fees, and plate

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
2/2/23 2:32 p.m.

I was curious, and I know every state is a bit different, but I wonder what the tax value is in their system?

How do they calculate value for sales tax purposes?  Is there a database?   Does it default to some arbitrary # if the car isn't in the system, like this import might be?

A $3k car here in NC would cost you maybe $400 for registration tax, title work, and plate, but we do pay an extortion(registration) fee every year.  

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/23 10:46 a.m.
MyMiatas said:
iansane said:

It's mine! 

Picked it up from the port last Friday. Registered it yesterday. It's fun! Slow as all hell, but fun!

9k car

1.8k shipping

$800 customs/port fees

$1.3k registration

Already bought new headlights/foglights, painted front lip and painted 'is' sideskirts to go on.

$12,900.00 ?  It is a 80's BMW Wagon? I assume they are worth crazy money? 

Like any niche item, there will be dumb people (me) that will pay crazy amounts for things. This one is a good 7-10k cheaper than ones showing up on bringatrailer or private party sales. I'm already looking to import another and sell this one.

onemanarmy said:

$1300 for registration?!

How?

Most of that is state tax on the purchase of the vehicle. The government has to get their share! I think registration was less than a $150. I just lumped everything required to get it registered in my name together price-wise.

iansane
2/3/23 11:53 a.m.

Also, I haven't washed the car in like 3 weeks or cleaned the wheels in at least a week. (these things need to be wiped down what seems like daily...) but I did throw the IS front lip and sideskirts on last night.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/23 12:26 p.m.

i forgot what was in this thread so i went back to page 1.  damn son, this thread delivers!

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
2/3/23 2:05 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

i forgot what was in this thread so i went back to page 1.  damn son, this thread delivers!

Agree 100%

iansane
2/3/23 2:21 p.m.

I kind of stopped updating stuff. Sorry guys. There was some overlap in the race team's thread. In a turn that will surprise no one, the race team I joined (currently with no name) decided a wild swap was the answer on the racecar. Although, the previous car owner pioneered this and we're just polishing up the finish a bit... 

VTEC!

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
2/3/23 2:23 p.m.

Yeeeees! My brain has been trying to convince me to buy all sorts of new projects just to use a J series. 

iansane
2/3/23 2:33 p.m.

The Jseries seems like a pretty solid engine choice. It's cheap, plentiful and honda so reliability has got to be pretty high up there. Plus they make an impressive amount of power considering their size. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
2/3/23 10:33 p.m.

It is a nice looking wagon. Maybe  limo black the side windows to give it a look. 

iansane
3/28/23 5:15 p.m.

I don't think I'll ever be over this addiction.

It might not be readily apparent since the engine is missing the $400+ fancy plastic beauty cover but that's a 5.2 v10 destined for my b5 s4.

iansane
3/29/23 10:09 a.m.

This is where I say, 'I love automatics!' I know, I know. Being an automatic doesn't magically make the 30 year old BMW plastic worse somehow. But it's fun to blame. The trans cooler inside the radiator cracked and started pumping trans fluid into the cooling system. Then the coolant overflow tank blew up and dumped it's contents out in a grocery store parking lot. When my girlfriend had the dogs with her. Fun times. AAA was called. A few hours later they called back to say they were too busy and asked if I could call back the next day to have it towed. Wonderful. So I changed the radiator in the parking lot and didn't get home until a little before 1am. Thanks AAA!

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/29/23 10:17 a.m.

Yeah, 2+ hour wait times pretty much soured me on AAA.  Glad you were able to get it fixed and back home, i'm very jealous, that thing is lovely smiley

iansane
3/29/23 4:04 p.m.

There aren't a lot of times in life that a Jaguar looks small.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Dork
3/29/23 4:48 p.m.

1) thats a lotta drywall.

2) miss that car.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/30/23 9:13 a.m.

New shop?!?!?!?

iansane
3/30/23 10:57 a.m.
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:

New shop?!?!?!?

Well, let's call it the offsite shop/storage space. I'm sure I'll still do most of my work at home in the garage but this will be nice to get things out of that garage and properly organized. Plus when something is long term on the lift at home I can run up there and do brakes/oil change/minor repair.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
3/30/23 12:13 p.m.

So much fun stuff in this thread!  Interesting swaps!  Puppers!  E30 Touring FTW!  Is that a 1.6 in the touring?

iansane
3/30/23 1:28 p.m.

1.8 sohc. Such a gutless little grunt. Screams all day long but doesn't have any power. I have a dohc 1.8 m42 and manual trans waiting to go in but like many other things it's not at the top of the list right now.

iansane
3/30/23 9:46 p.m.

Bought some new scales. Had to try them with something in the shop. All wireless. Pretty cool!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/23 9:44 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I just did the same and am blown away. One of the best, most GRM threads on the forum! 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
4/4/23 9:51 p.m.

Ever time I see this picture I think " He could really stack some project cars in that garage!"  All that over head room. Is it over 30 ft tall??

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TTZKWnMdvk3nRVkJr3wo431lrSmYHHAEtxRdzJxCo49YQjAG8QKVx0CP1DZHULuV