1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 57
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/20/23 6:05 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The comments about the DRS being stronger on the RB than other cars was really interesting. That's a heck of a useful thing to optimize, and having it on the fastest car is bad news for the rest of the field. Although since they're allowed to use DRS in quali, maybe that's part of the RB being so fast.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the DRS itself, or it's just that the car is so low drag to begin with, the DRS has to do less work for the same gain?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/23 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Low drag car means they can get away with a more aggressive wing, allowing for greater DRS effectiveness? Heck of a tool, and probably a head-slapping moment for everyone else when they realized how valuable it would be to optimize for it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/20/23 8:00 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Keith Tanner said:

The comments about the DRS being stronger on the RB than other cars was really interesting. That's a heck of a useful thing to optimize, and having it on the fastest car is bad news for the rest of the field. Although since they're allowed to use DRS in quali, maybe that's part of the RB being so fast.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the DRS itself, or it's just that the car is so low drag to begin with, the DRS has to do less work for the same gain?

I think it's yes.  Remember that RBR hasn't had the porpoising problem- so I'm betting the DRS changes the aero around the rear of the car so much that it lightens the underfloor effectiveness.   Which will lower induced drag, too.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/21/23 7:07 p.m.

Given the performance increase that a smaller team like Aston got with a redesign, Imagine what Mercedes could do if they ditch their current philosophy and do a Red Bull copy. I wouldn't blame them, tbh, in an era of cost cap and restrictive rules, the most efficient way to get ahead is take inspiration from who is on top. Toto already stated that Red Bull can put a sticker on the next Mercedes if they think it's a copy

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/21/23 7:17 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

I have to say, it's kind of a surprise that it appears that Mercedes will take that big of a change in the middle of the season.  Kind of suggests when they *finally* figured out the core aero issues, it was too late to start the season under the budget.  Sort of like how Aston changed last season.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/21/23 7:40 p.m.

But, then, too...Is there an advantage to Merc blowing through their cost cap this year?  Red Bull did it last year, and had a good enough package to survive the loss of wind tunnel time.  If Merc spends an extra couple of million on new parts, other than letting the RB fans abuse them...net loss, or gain?

Sounds like every new body part touched every other body part, so its an entirely new body if they change side pods. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/21/23 8:34 p.m.

Mercedes can burn through next years budget to develop an all new car to be introduced this year and use this years and next years development budget to improve it. They typically split resources between groups of engineers, one group improving the current car and second team working on next years car, but they can get both groups together to get a new concept to the track

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/22/23 2:52 p.m.

So I'm seeing a lot of reporting of how pissed off the Verstappens were after last weekend's race.  And Perez is right back at them- they didn't need to push at all, but they very much did as the race ended- as Max (and Jos) wanted to win.  Max never replied back when the team told him a targe time, and then had to tell Perez to go ahead and push. 

I've not seen the reporting of what Jos' problem is- maybe he expected the team to tell Checo to let Max by, or was really angry that the car broke- the stories are out there, I've just avoided them.

Two races in, and it appears that team work will be out the window right away.

Keith Tanner
3/22/23 3:01 p.m.

I haven't looked into this, but did the announcers say that Max hasn't finished behind a teammate since the Ricciardo days? If that's true, it explains why Max and Jos would be cranky they weren't handed the race like they have been so many times before. 

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/22/23 4:41 p.m.

Just look at the spoiled brat pout in this article...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.i-am-not-here-to-finish-second-verstappen-calls-on-red-bull-to-solve.6fH3P77K6PPxLArLWfVAQS.html

kind of says it all

wae
wae PowerDork
3/22/23 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I thought it was something like he hasn't been 2nd when his teammate was 1st.

Keith Tanner
3/22/23 5:27 p.m.

In reply to wae :

That seems more plausible. 

Checo won Monaco last year with Max in 3rd, so Max has certainly finished behind his teammates. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/23 6:04 p.m.

I think it pisses max off that checo is only 1 pt behind in the championship.

I'd love to see checo win the championship this year!

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/23 7:49 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I think it pisses max off that checo is only 1 pt behind in the championship.

I'd love to see checo win the championship this year!

Nothing in F1 would make me happier than that. Literally nothing. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/22/23 8:18 p.m.

I was interested when there was such talk about how last weekend was only the second Red Bull 1-2 since 2008 or something.

So, then, does this tell us anything we don't already know about the way they treat their second drivers?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/23 8:25 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I was interested when there was such talk about how last weekend was only the second Red Bull 1-2 since 2008 or something.

Has to be more complicated than that, since they've had lots of 1-2s since then (5 of them just last year).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_Racing_Grand_Prix_results

It's the first time Max has been 2nd in a RBR 1-2 since Malaysia 2016 (vs Ricciardo)

I think the results so far this year tell us just how significant the aero testing restriction penalty that they got for breaking the cost cap really was.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/22/23 8:31 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Back to back 1-2s.  Sorry.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
3/28/23 11:31 p.m.

My take is VER is, as usual, unable to self manage himself. So the team has to manage him so he doesn't break the car. PER probably would have raced VER hard this year as he probably learned he can't ever give an inch. 

I think the RBR whole car package is solid. Very low drag. Good power. 

MB car isn't horrible just not likely to win. I don't think the solution is to copy the top of the RBR but instead the floor and rear suspension interaction with downforce concepts. 

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
3/29/23 7:17 a.m.

I like how Max saying that he isn't there to finish 2nd is him pitching a fit.  Yes, he can be whiny at times but I appreciate the attitude.  

As to the Jos aspect:  I have heard a story about when he (Jos) was racing at Le Mans in a Porsche.  He had a guy on the team that would relay feedback from Max at the kart track (not in France, BTW) while he was in the car during the race and would recommend setup changes, gear changes, tire pressures, etc.  The guy wanted his son to have the best possible situation and circumstances for the entirety of his racing career.  Yes, at some point he has to step back and let Max be an adult.  

The obvious contrast to that is Checo's dad who seems to be happy about literally everthing that happens for Checo and Red Bull

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/29/23 8:40 a.m.

Other than this forum, and the official F1 site,  is there any F1 site that isn't Kardashians on wheels?  Will Buxton and his ilk seem desperate to create drama, and I berkeleying hate manufactured drama.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/29/23 8:59 a.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

Jos comes across as if he expected Horner to have Perez let Max by based on the car failure.  Max had a tone of that, too- as he didn't at least appreciate his own teammate winning the race.

And given their history last year, well... just kind of continues that.

Keith Tanner
3/29/23 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Kardashians on wheels, LOL.

Not that I've found. Racecar Engineering has good tech, although I haven't checked to see how accessible it is to non-subscribers.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/29/23 10:04 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Other than this forum, and the official F1 site,  is there any F1 site that isn't Kardashians on wheels?  Will Buxton and his ilk seem desperate to create drama, and I berkeleying hate manufactured drama.

I gave up following any other F1 pages/sites,like you say all drama based.

Possibly worse then the drama is the attitude of fans,their driver or team can do no wrong and everyone else is cheating/whining etc etc.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
3/29/23 1:58 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:
Streetwiseguy said:

I gave up following any other F1 pages/sites,like you say all drama based.

Possibly worse then the drama is the attitude of fans,their driver or team can do no wrong and everyone else is cheating/whining etc etc.

I haven't found one, either.  Kinda like with most news these days, I just have learned to ignore the clickbait titles and dig through to find the important stuff.  Not easy to do, but it kinda works.  I'll say the cesspool that is Reddit, however, seems to be pretty good with filtering real stories closer to the top and the clickbait-ish ones down.  Not perfect by any means, but seems easier to visual filter for me.

-Rob

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
3/30/23 4:48 p.m.

Interesting interview with Lewis Hamilton wherein he talks about how the MB driver position was moved farther forward and that is part of the reasons why he can't get comfortable with the car. I think the article implies that the driver location move is the BIG change MB keeps talking about and if they have to move the driver then the whole car package probably has to be redone. 

Mercedes ‘far-forward’ car approach has to change – Hamilton | RACER

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 57

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SLNElrd8V89L020M547hcvary4D7l3ege0qTqTnF9HgNKuE0mZkPnqyIKs8P9jlR