greggearhead
greggearhead Reader
4/16/24 9:58 a.m.

So, I love 1st Gen Honda Civics.  The 1200/1300s, more than the CVCCs, but they are all great.  I am basically a Euro car guy, but like classic Japanese stuff too.  I ran across this one for sale, and the seller didn't really know anything about it.  Bought it from a neighbor, installed the weber carb, and that was about it.  It came with a spare engine and transmission, and I spoted a few things in the photos that made me think it might have some upgrades.  

When it arrived on the shipper trailer, it looked kinda rough, but it started right up and idled fine (came from low altitude to 6500ft in CO so that's a plus).  Driving it 8 blocks from the shipper dropoff to the shop, I was worried.  It wouldn't rev much and had very little power.  Sigh.  

When I got time to really look it over a few days later, I was more positive about it.  It came with Scheel Mann seats (!), extra gauges and a performance exhaust, upgraded ignition coil and electronic ignition.  Running the engine code (thanks for telling me where it was Roman) it turns out it wasn't a 1500CVCC, but a later 1800CVCC out of a Prelude/Accord.  

Unfortunately, the guys that swapped in the Weber 32/36 DGEV didn't know what they were doing and the throttle cable was bent and threaded through a linkage piece that it should never go through.  Result - it only got 1/4 throttle and pulled mostly to the side of the linkage instead of straight on.  Digging through my stash of carb linkage, was able to get a trunion nut to straighten the pulland modify the throttle cable bracket so it wasn't pulling up instead of back.  The gas pedal bottomed out before full throttle, so I cut off the pedal stop on the pedal, and welded on a coupling nut to make an adjustable throttle stop so I get full throttle opening at the carb, but won't be stretching the cable past WOT.  I also rejetted the carb slightly, as it had out-of-the-box jets in it, which IMO are way too big for the power level of the engine, let alone at altitude.  I dropped the mains from 140/140 to 120/120 and the primary idle from 60 to 50.  I have 40 idles, but I want to drive it a bit before making too many changes.  

I ordered some wheel adapters to go from 4x120 to 4x100 to install later, larger wheels easily.  You cana install hubs and brakes from 2nd gen Civics, but I thought I'd try this first and see how I like it.  The front fit just fine (had to cut the caps off the factory enclosed lug nuts to make them open and not stand proud of the adapters and interfere with the wheel mounting), but the rear drums have a weird 3 bolt grease cap hoold down setup, so my machinist is opening up the center bore of the adapters to clear.  I'm using Civic HX wheels - very light weight 14x5.5" size that should be fine for the power level and handling needed.  

I removed the passenger Scheel seat and mount so I can fabricate a new mount for the Corbeau seats going in.  Also ordered lots of parts - brake hoses, front pads, throttle cable, engine torque rod bushing, filters, tune up stuff.  It's hard to find parts for these, so we will see what I can do to stiffen up the suspension a little bit.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/16/24 10:26 a.m.

The later Civic wheels look so right on that, like they should have come from the factory.  Love this!

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
4/16/24 11:19 a.m.

It should scoot with the big block in it.  I know nothing of Honda engines but bigger is better right?

Looks solid, can't wait to see how the paint buffs out.

greggearhead
greggearhead Reader
4/16/24 11:22 a.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

I know - right?  I'd love to put on 15s, but I think this project is just gonna be to get my feet wet and wait for a better one to come along later, so the 14x5.5 will be great.  

greggearhead
greggearhead Reader
4/16/24 11:25 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Lol.  Big block.  The 1751cc engine made 72hp, while the 1488cc version made 53hp.  With the carb, exhaust and slightly better (maybe) ignition, I'd say it might make 80hp (sea level numbers) so less weight than a Rabbit GTI (my eternal yardstick), but the same power, it should be really fun and still get good economy.

I did a test spot for buffing - there's lots of shine left in it.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/16/24 2:41 p.m.

In reply to greggearhead :

Having driven a 2nd gen with the 1.3 CVCC around the high plains and salt lake valley, I would have loved 20 more HP. :) I remember climbing the hill on I-80 going west into SLC was always an adventure in slowness. 

greggearhead
greggearhead Reader
4/16/24 8:07 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Oh yeah.  I actually prefer the rev-ier 1200/1300 non-CVCC 1st Gens, but the CVCC has a bigger/longer engine bay, better for swaps, and this being a '74, is exempt in CA for emissions, so that's a plus when I sell it.  

Being a VW Van guy in Colorado, I know about the want/need for more power, lol.  If it was a keeper, it would probably get a Vtec, but I'll save that for the next one.  

greggearhead
greggearhead Reader
4/16/24 8:09 p.m.

Mockup, because big driving lights go on anything.

greasemonkeyreborne_5x1gs
greasemonkeyreborne_5x1gs Reader
4/16/24 9:23 p.m.

Love this.  From time to time, I'll see a '80-'82 civics in a yard.   I don't think I've seen an early 70's.  Looking forward to seeing your progress!

This is so cool!  Gotta love old Hondas

greggearhead
greggearhead Reader
4/19/24 8:29 a.m.

Well, machinist friend opened up the center bore of the rear wheel adapters to clear the weird grease cap on the rear drums, so all later model Civic wheels are mounted.

Interesting to note, the tiny 13x5 wheels with 155/70r13 tires are *heavier* than the larger alloy 14x5.5 wheels and 175/65r14 tires. 26.2lbs vs. 23.6lbs. On a small, underpowered car, makes a difference!

Also, forgot to mention the factory lug nuts needed the caps cut off to fit in the adapters behind the new wheels.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
4/19/24 10:28 a.m.

1974, from the year I was born.  So few cars that I would want from that year.

This is one, or a Pantera or Buick 225, maybe a TVR, ok so there are a few.

greggearhead
greggearhead HalfDork
4/23/24 9:33 a.m.

More parts have arrived!  New brake pads, new brake hoses, new throttle cable, etc. 

Also have some VW springs that might work for lowering/stiffening and maybe add a rear swaybar from Addco or adapt one from something else...

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/26/24 6:49 p.m.

Awesome, I'm jealous.  Had a bright yellow '74 way back when as a winter beater.  Burned oil really severely on startup so I had to install the second set of plugs that I kept under the seat to change every second or third startup.  Burned off the oil fouling on the set I just pulled with a torch when I got home.  Then they went under the seat for the next change.

The bar that kept the front right suspension aligned front-rear (whatsit called?  watts link?) broke.  These things suffered a lot in salty Wisconsin winters.  Step on the brake - car turned hard right.  Step on the gas - hard left.  Figured out what broke and I hit the hardware store for some aircraft cable and a couple of clamps to tie it back together, sort of.  Drove it for half a winter that way and sold it.  Told the guy that bought it about the problem and he said "I dunno, drives OK" and gave me the same $200 I paid for it and drove it away.

I'd love to have another, they are a lot more fun than the specs would lead you to believe.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
4/26/24 7:01 p.m.

Is this one a hatchback, or the trunk model? My sister had a trunk one and it's the only one I've ever seen.

greggearhead
greggearhead HalfDork
4/27/24 11:31 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Is this one a hatchback, or the trunk model? My sister had a trunk one and it's the only one I've ever seen.

This one is a hatchback - the trunk models are pretty rare.  

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
4/27/24 5:53 p.m.

Around the turn of the century I transplanted a 74 body onto a 91 RT4WD floorpan. Drove the car for nearly 200k miles over the next 10 years, with 3 different Ds, one of them turbocharged. I had 6 forward speeds, working AC, AWD, power window on the passenger side, cruise. It was my 90 mile a day commuter from the flatlands to the Sierras where I lived in CA. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pY8B6OMRLXPO8JRoY2YU3yKC9Z1Hl8Jr9CpzyO491qCHmeljBriYgqBg9Ec2aQWm