1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
2/12/16 2:49 p.m.

It's aftermarket. Will it fail? Idk, but it's installed and it's not coming back off.

The shaving cream catches all of the crap that scraping a gasket off produces. Afterwards, it's very easy to vacuum back out of all the nooks and crannies, taking the crap with it.

And yes, I was most disappointed with the PO when I discovered the stripped bolt. New one is already here.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
2/12/16 5:22 p.m.

The shaving cream confused me Now that I understand, that is a great idea!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
6/6/16 2:45 p.m.

D'oh! I forgot to update this.

IT RUNS!!!

Assembling....

Let me say this (for the record): I HATE VACUUM LINES! Between having to scrape and replace two intake gaskets due to the variable displacement intake stuff, and having to figure out, leak test, and route 500 vacuum lines I'm almost sure I'm going to swap to a megasquirt for this car the first second any of it gives me trouble.

Now with timing!

Officially reassembled!

Next step: Clear a path. I surrounded this thing with crap while it wasn't running. Then, I put the exhaust on and fired it up.

Or, at least I tried. Nothing. It would fire on carb cleaner, but that's all. After a few tests, I decided the fuel pump was dead.

Nicole (pictured): "What do you mean I may get gas on me." She's never dropped a gas tank before.... We thought it was almost empty. Turns out it had seven gallons in it, but she struggled through it. Buying this was her idea, anyway.

Got it! Apparently MR2 people call this a torpedo.

There's the problem. Notice one wire isn't connected? Thanks, rust.

The tank had some crud on it, too.

All better! I put a new intake screen on it, too.

It runs!!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
6/6/16 3:20 p.m.

Pictures no work

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
6/6/16 3:35 p.m.

Better?

Tom Suddard
6/6/16 3:36 p.m.

As soon as I got it running, I drove it to the office, parked it, and haven't touched it since. Until I build a bigger garage at home, I can really only keep one project at once.

Also, uh, I have no idea what I should do with this thing.

Any suggestions?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
6/6/16 3:44 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Better?

Much! Looking good!

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/6/16 4:45 p.m.

I say at the very least add the shaving cream trick to the Tech Tools forum.....

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
6/6/16 4:53 p.m.

First. Safety glasses for Nicole. :).

Just a thought..... start a written series with her learning how to Autocross a stock class? My wife dual drives with me. I'm pretty sure she'd like to read about the sport from a female perspective? It might also help me get one of my two daughters to try as well. I think I read Mazdaduce also has a teenage driver that's going to start. :)

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
6/6/16 5:03 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: As soon as I got it running, I drove it to the office, parked it, and haven't touched it since. Until I build a bigger garage at home, I can really only keep one project at once. Also, uh, I have no idea what I should do with this thing. Any suggestions?

Sell it to me for cheap?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
6/6/16 5:30 p.m.
4Msfam wrote: First. Safety glasses for Nicole. :). Just a thought..... start a written series with her learning how to Autocross a stock class? My wife dual drives with me. I'm pretty sure she'd like to read about the sport from a female perspective? It might also help me get one of my two daughters to try as well. I think I read Mazdaduce also has a teenage driver that's going to start. :)

This... on both perspectives... safety glasses.... and if Nicole is up for it... writing from a learning POV... give her a stipend, and a byline

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
5/24/21 9:57 a.m.

Hey y'all!

For anybody who was following this thread, I've officially picked up the project and moved it over to the Classic Motorsports forum.

You can find the latest update here.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TXjx5iiL9fnUsxUhW60WIOpCUh4FVoceWJIKUIitBShqm1YSizDzjIXrhyknJRje