TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/24 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Slow_M :

Spicy!

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
2/7/24 8:34 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

That was my Alfa's name. Well, Spezia was, which is the Italian equivalent. 

After a couple of years of trying to help it become reliable, I re-named it Peste Nera, which is also Italian, but so much more appropriate. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
2/11/24 11:07 a.m.

Reconfigured to mount to the right hand side of the block.

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
3/3/24 5:18 p.m.

New switch panel. 

I cut up the original mahogany plywood for weight savings and epoxied it to the back of the new panel.

I want the panel to be a lightweight piece and yet feel and sound solid. Hope I don't have to glue a strip of sound deadening material to the back. The switches are probably going sound pretty percussive. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
3/9/24 10:34 p.m.

The switch panel is done, more or less. Not the hoped for level of quality. Fought the beefy vinyl for all I'm worth, but I definitely had an easier time when I did this piece in suede, a couple of decades ago. 

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
3/10/24 8:08 a.m.

It looks pretty good from here!

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
3/10/24 11:59 a.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

Thanks, Turbo. 

I guess I would have had to throw a ton of time at the factory fiberglass part, before I'd be genuinely happy with the result. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
3/12/24 5:44 p.m.

If I ever get to that point of refinement, there'll be labels. Probably also lights, to show whether circuits are on, while driving at night. 

Thing is, labels aren't required to get this thing to move under its own steam. 

Soooo, this bit is done, for the time being. 

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
4/8/24 12:38 a.m.

I added the starter button and some small scratches to the dash and then I added the master disconnect and a big, berkeleying gouge to the switch panel. The signal I'm getting from my back is knocking refinishing those parts way down the priority list. 

In all honesty, I botched the sequencing of the work on the switch panel. I should have countersunk the aluminum for the bolt head recesses first, and THEN made the hole for the key post. Doing it the other way around distorted the center hole. 

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OQD14pj7jZBTTBNzcDMkIUHBFWtLJeb4w6dkwjQ33YzNsAyaTa9iwPR5Jrbi9iY2