1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/24/23 10:00 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Very low mileage and quite close to me, but more than I'd care to spend at this time...  I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/25/23 10:00 p.m.

I drove the Frog around the block today and decided it's good enough to rallyX next weekend. Next, I put the XBox in the garage and started test fitting the all terrain tires up front (Wider mud tires are going on back). Good clearance for turning, but off the jack stands I can tell it's going to need a lot more spring.

2/26/23 9:19 p.m.

Today, test fit the rear tires. I cut/rolled the fender back almost two inches at the bottom edge. Tonight I'm doing some part swapping with some Porsche struts and Audi/VW struts.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
2/28/23 5:28 p.m.

You're a madman. I love it!

3/4/23 10:04 p.m.

The Lime100 Mini Bike race was today and I was one of the volunteers to help run it. North Texas Rallycross has their first 'points Rallycross' tomorrow at the same venue so I brought the Frog and checked it out today.

It ran great for the short time I played with it. Fun car!  I may have fixed the intermix problem it had. I figured there was nothing to lose by replacing the oil cooler and o-rings. When I had it off, there was clearly good coolant going in and oily coolant coming out. Could it be that simple? Almost every case of M96 engine I've heard of with intermix turned out to be a cracked head.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
3/5/23 9:43 a.m.

ALMOST every case....  haha

3/7/23 12:50 a.m.

The engine made it through 11 runs on Sunday. For the most part I was just blasting through the course with no worry for time, but still came out decent in the standings. The engine stalled out on my last two runs as soon as I let off the gas at the finish, but managed to restart after a short rest. Eleven runs and it held together.

This morning driving it off the trailer without ear plugs in, I noticed a rattle. With the engine cover off, the sound was loud and clear. This engine is ready to send rods through the case.

Sunday was awesome and she gave me all she had left.

Bearings turned into glitter:

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
3/7/23 9:15 a.m.

That's the equivalent of your tires wearing through the cords and going flat as you pull into the tire shop.  

well done

3/7/23 8:37 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Very low mileage and quite close to me, but more than I'd care to spend at this time...  I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

A guy that I've bought parts from has an '04 SE asking $17,500. It may have engine issues and has the black interior instead of the Brown. 39k miles and located in Maryland. I can connect you or anyone else interested. Not sure of engine issue details, but he's been straight as a seller.

Edit: Now he has it listed on the 986 Forum at $20K with a little more info. Crazy. But I noticed he's also looking for a 3-chain 3.2L engine to drop in it. That will probably get him back to $30k if he puts it in. Honestly a 550 SE without the cocoa brown leather is just another silver Boxster with a tune and intake.

3/12/23 7:51 p.m.

Working 7 days on and 7 days off, Wednesday is my Saturday and I want to do way too much stuff immediately. The Xbox is in the garage and needs some fender work and struts swapped for a lift. The Frog is in front of the garage and I want to pull the engine out and put the next one in. Along with all that, it's time for EVERYTHING to get a Spring oil change and my wife has been so awesome that I want to get a bunch of deferred projects wrapped up in the house. Seriously, if I didn't go to work for a week at a time, I'd never have a chance to relax.

3/17/23 12:11 p.m.
2002maniac said:

You're a madman. I love it!

This reminded me of your comment:

3/18/23 11:32 a.m.

I'm terrible. Do I actually buy another car or motorcycle every month? ...I don't want to verify that by checking history. last week I offered to trade the Sequoia (a good running useful vehicle) for yet another troubled Boxster.

The asking price of $5,500 is stupid high considering the engine is 'bad', worn out top with a ripped rear window, rotted leather seats, scuffed paint, and all around neglected. I figured that offering the Sequoia for equal value was charitable. It's on consignment and the owner is standing firm on the $5,500 as the value.

About the time that I saw that going nowhere, my pretty much son in law told me that someone had a 2012 CR-V at the shop that was running poorly. They had already bought a new car and just wanted to get rid of it. He sent me pics:

A quick search of 'for sales' showed that they are going for around $10,000 to $14,000 in good condition. I said that my max offer was $800. He's giving her my cash on Monday and trailering it home for me. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet.

No car in my garage at the moment, lots of detritus from the last four things I did. Having my 11 year old grandson on Spring Break and hanging out with me all week slowed down my original plans, but it was good. Supervising an 11 year old to keep him from staring at screens all day is demanding work.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/18/23 4:47 p.m.

Q;  What to do with CRV?

A:  Make about a $10k profit!

I suspect that $10k profit then become the purchase of two $5k Boxters the next week.

3/19/23 11:16 a.m.

I experimented a lot with struts and springs for the Xbox. I think that I finally have a set-up that will lift it about two inches and still be workable with the stock control arms and axles. I may learn different when I install them, but that's not going to happen this week.

The front struts have a the stock front strut with a rear spring and an extra bearing stacked in from a MK6 VW Golf to fit the coil diameter.

The rears are MK4 VW front struts with a MK6 Golf front strut mount.

I don't know the maths, but the fronts are stock length with a heavier and more compressed spring that will still have near stock travel. The rears are physically about 2" longer between top and bottom mount and have a slightly heavier spring. The goal of this has nothing to do with cornering or high speed performance other than not being dangerously unstable on the highway. It should give the 30.5" tires plenty of body clearance and provide good undercarriage clearance for rough terrain. It's barely driveable how it currently sits due to rubbing on the rear fenders with body roll or going over a bump.

3/27/23 10:03 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Q;  What to do with CRV?

A:  Make about a $10k profit!

I suspect that $10k profit then become the purchase of two $5k Boxters the next week.

Would you believe...

The CR-V is at my daughter's house. Has been for a week and I haven't even seen it yet.

The Sequoia finally sold on FB Marketplace. Easy sale and great buyers after dealing with a week of typical Marketplace messages going nowhere.

The day the Sequoia sold I saw a different Boxster for sale and I have a friend looking at it out tomorrow. Planning to pick it up on Wednesday if it checks out. I may make a low cash offer on the 2000 Boxster I mentioned earlier after it sits on the market for another week or two. Not sure where I'd put it though.

3/27/23 10:20 p.m.

I have been working hard for the last several days trying to get the Frog together for Rallysprint on Sunday. Today I finally burned out after spending an hour looking for four M10 1.5 bolts of just the right length to mount the fabricated engine cradle that holds the 4.2L V8. I had to admit to myself that I'm trying to do too much while I'm working 7 pm to 7 am night shifts. I was stressing over progress rather than enjoying the project.

I'm going to commit to taking the Camry to Rallysprint and take my time on the Frog. The next Rallycross event I plan to attend after this weekend is with the SCCA on April 30th. That is a good target date that will allow me to have the car sorted out rather than rushing and driving a car full of unknowns.

3/29/23 10:30 p.m.

Yup. Another.

Don't even know what I've bought yet other than it drove onto the trailer and looks 'a bit' rough.  

...and maybe taking the '04 parts car to Rallysprint if I can get a new water pump installed and bolt a few parts back onto it.

automotiveflux
automotiveflux New Reader
3/30/23 4:24 p.m.

What's the plan for this one?

3/30/23 8:12 p.m.
automotiveflux said:

What's the plan for this one?

Plan?

I'm going to take it apart enough to see what's wrong, then make it a good car again. I have lots of parts that I'd rather build a car with than try to sell and ship. This one will be built with a target of being a fun car for the street. If I don't love it when I'm done I'll sell it, but it's a 1999 and that's my favorite year for Boxsters.

Today I did a walk-around video evaluating how bad it is, then replaced the trunk lid, removed the convertible top, and set a hard top on it before the rain started. Rain should move out tomorrow and although I'll mostly focus on getting the '04 parts car ready for Rallycross, I'll probably get more done on this too.

3/31/23 12:12 a.m.

Boxsters? Ignoring all the other cars and motorcycles, I just realized that I am now deep into projects on four Boxsters -at once. The Frog occupies the garage and plumbing the cooling lines to the AUX engine is the next logical step. Xbox is ready to have four new struts installed and get new CV boots while I'm at it -just delivered from FCP Euro. The '04 Parts car got a new water pump installed today and will have the fenders bolted on (and maybe bumpers installed) tomorrow. The '99 also now know as "The Last Thing" will probably have a new roll bar and top installed tomorrow. On and on. It's just what I do.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/31/23 1:18 a.m.

Why's a 99 your favorite year?  Seems like an 03-04 would be the sweet spot with all the changes Porsche made...

3/31/23 2:29 p.m.
docwyte said:

Why's a 99 your favorite year?  Seems like an 03-04 would be the sweet spot with all the changes Porsche made...

Much of it comes from debates between the base model and S model. Most of my Boxster driving is around town or on twisty back roads - speeds between 40 and 70 mph. The 2.5L engine with the 5-speed does that very well. Not racing anyone, not trying to impress anybody, just having fun running through the gears and hearing the flat 6. With an S or the SE running up through the gears, it's a lot easier to go faster than I intend to for the same feeling.

I don't like the easy-scratch finish that they used on the interior plastics after '99. 3- spoke vs 4-spoke steering wheel doesn't really matter to me. I prefer the earlier model tops and mechanisms to the later ones. Slightly simpler machines, more analog, cable throttle, a slightly more connected feeling. Dual row IMS bearing.

I am not saying that the early years are better cars. All years (whatever make and model) have their strong points and flaws and in general later generations are improved. What I want a Boxster for, a 1999 model is the best fit.   ...and no. I am never selling my 2004 Special Edition. There are times when it is the best fit.

4/11/23 5:30 p.m.

I've already got an impossible number of projects going on. Might as well add one more. Planning for a road trip to Texas on Friday to get a 2001 Boxster S that is going to need an engine. Still runs, but sounds like a rod bearing is failing with "copper in the oil". It's seen good maintenance, new tires, clutch and IMS bearing. Not that the new IMS bearing has any value if the engine is scrapped. Probably going to swap out the engine for a used one and flip it, but not making any firm plans yet.

I'm about to list my BMW F650GS for sale. It doesn't take up the same space as a Boxster, but one less thing ...is one less thing.

Tomorrow starts my week off after a busy week of day shift. I'll probably get back to work on the V8 engine swap in the Frog.

4/11/23 5:51 p.m.

Just noticed, it looks like I didn't mention it here that I finally mounted the replacement struts on the Xbox. The ones that I had built for the rear were too tall and stressed the suspension more than I wanted as I was installing them. I ended up using stock rear struts with a heavier VW spring. Both CV axles got new boots while I had them off. Fenders still need to be cut back a little more to give clearance at full strut compression. I had intended to lift it a little higher, but with stock arms, this is a good height. Now I'm figuring out what I want to do for undercarriage protection and winch mount.

spandak
spandak Dork
4/11/23 6:28 p.m.

Shouldn't be too hard to screw a plate to the floor pan and cover all of the important bits. Everything is in the back and level with the floor pan ish. 

What a crazy machine

found a rallyish boxster on Instagram recently built for advertising a watch brand. Vero watch or something, don't care. Cool build. Reminds me of that. 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s66O7gbsHUsx2GVwquNZ9tj0GHKbiVU8KsRM2tSzxL5LKFIycAQvAhBnUJLhDX9i