1 ... 82 83 84
Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/1/24 1:18 p.m.

Is the hydro on a separate circuit from the service brakes, or does it just tie in to the rears?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
4/1/24 1:20 p.m.

It's inline with the rear circuit- you can actually feel the pressure from the master cylinder preload the hydraulic handbrake if you pull the lever slightly while using the pedal.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
4/1/24 1:27 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Mark 1 Ford RS1600 Ford Econoboxs had a second caliper on each rear wheel. Some folks rig these with 2 masters and a fiddle stick to proportion rears side to side as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
4/2/24 7:39 a.m.

This thread has been light on updates lately, but we are still full speed ahead on various rally operations.  I have been chipping away at resurrecting a Husqvarna TE450 which has been dormant in a friends' basement for a while- ideally it'll be ready for a rallymoto event late this month:

I have also been digitally working on another rally BRZ- version 2, if you will.  This will get its' own thread when it starts becoming more of a physical reality:

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
4/2/24 9:33 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

And just what is that red blotch in the middle?

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
4/2/24 9:46 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

And just what is that red blotch in the middle?

Two K20's and a lot of JB Weld. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
4/2/24 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Spearfishin :

I've seen it. Chris is really good with TIG...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
4/2/24 10:50 a.m.

I deny any allegations that I have any idea what to do with a tig welder, the red blob is a minivan engine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
4/9/24 1:12 p.m.

The rallybike moves under its' own power again!  I promise I'm not neglecting the car, call this cross-training:

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/9/24 1:25 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I deny any allegations that I have any idea what to do with a tig welder, the red blob is a minivan engine.

I have been very pleased with my red blob and think you will enjoy it too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
4/22/24 7:07 a.m.

A little stuff on the car this weekend- more underbody touchup.  At this point I think every single weld nut and nearly every tapped hole in the pinch weld reinforcement, has had to be retapped or replaced.  I think next time I'm doing underbody plastics on a rally car, I'll make a point not to put anything serviceable behind them and just rivet them on- the bolts are a nice thought and make things serviceable, but drilling and re-riveting would actually be less work:

Also made some fabricated front control arms, there will definitely be a v2 and these are most likely only going to be test fit pieces and maybe spares- I don't like how thin the swedged tube is, and I cut the boot on one of the balljoints pressing it into the little machined piece at the end, but these will be just fine to learn what I didn't think of drawing them up, and check any clearance issues that may arise:

The adjustable arms also aren't strictly L2wd legal unless adjusted perfectly to the same length as stock, so this is all really just an experiment to see what, if anything, I'm missing about making these sorts of things myself.

Fit check will have to wait, though, because next weekend I'll be at McCreary (and so will Sara, codriving for Kevin Schmidt) in my first RallyMoto event in years!  Why? Well, other than being a much cheaper way to attend a stage rally, this year marks the 10 year anniversary of my first rally- I had a DRZ that I'd traded my rallycross foxbody for, a cheap helmet and armor, a pair of boots that I bought off craigslist for $50, and Sara and Kila as crew. It was overwhelming and awesome and I had no idea what I was doing, and I ran the bike for two years before we got our first car- seemed fitting to try to do it again a decade later, although the TE450 is definitely more capable and considerably less reliable than the trusty DRZ.

A couple pictures from that first event in 2014, and one from the year after because GRM shirt:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
4/30/24 9:28 a.m.

Had a good time down at McCreary Gravel Rally despite leaving the BRZ at home- I was back on a bike for the first time in 8 years, and Sara was back in an RX7!  She and Kevin had a bit of a time that I'm sure he'll tell you all about in his thread:

We camped and managed to have an at least slightly more relaxed time than we usually do at a rally- I managed to keep the bike upright and moving the correct direction all day so I'll call that success.  Here's a smattering of photos from...

Keith Kreatives at parc expose:

Zachary Kitz somewhere on SS7-9 I think:

Nathan Proctor on a couple stages:

and some friend photos from the finish:

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/1/24 4:20 p.m.

One of these days I'll get back out there :/

Oh hey :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
5/6/24 8:21 a.m.

4 years after the start of this thread, I'm going to try and do it again, but better.  These threads will be parallel for who knows how long- the current car is still full speed ahead and I'm going to attempt to split my time intelligently enough to keep it running as well as it ever has.

1 ... 82 83 84

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r4gZwxtEJTuaNn598bByk6kt3d0OzzbfShHl1gcsTi6KbFFIrEyC3tqgj8lrWCI5